AMG steering wheel for extra grip?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

After Shock

Car
E320 CDI 320 Estate. AMG wheels
I'm thinking of swopping my "ordinary" steering wheel for an AMG leather steering wheel as I'm thinking it might have better grip?

I have limited grip. Well no finger movement as I broke my neck so use the flat of my hand to turn the wheel.

Any thoughts on whether this would be an improvement?

Also would the holes at the back. Flappy paddle?? be annoying as they are missing?

Thanks

Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG W211 G55 AMG W463 Leather Steering Wheel *NEW* | eBay

I would suggest re-trimming your existing wheel. It would cost less and keep the car intact. Some re-trimmers may have loaner wheels. Somebody on here posted a fantastic re-trim just the other day.

+1 for getting it retrimmed , then there will be no fitting issues and you wont need to source another airbag. I had the same dilemma with the barge like wheel on my CLS , I contemplated an AMG one but sourcing one that my original airbag would fit was damn near impossible.

So I got this done for > £150 ( from post 4 onwards ) , it was reshaped to give a flat bottom and made much thicker.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/interior/180011-new-steering-wheel-fitted-ml-today.html

Kenny

Last edited:
I hadn't thought of that! Great idea I'll look into it.

A flat bottom would be useful toooo..........

When I'm transferring into the car from my wheelchair the steering wheel often is a pain when I get my legs stuck against it.

Many thanks!!

Go for Alcantara... much better grip.

That was an option for an extra £10 if I remember , the only reason I didn't go for it was it marks much easier than the leather which is not good if you have missed a bit of oil / ink on your hands after a hectic shift.

Kenny

I'm thinking of swopping my "ordinary" steering wheel for an AMG leather steering wheel as I'm thinking it might have better grip?

I have limited grip. Well no finger movement as I broke my neck so use the flat of my hand to turn the wheel.

Any thoughts on whether this would be an improvement?

Also would the holes at the back. Flappy paddle?? be annoying as they are missing?

Thanks

Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG W211 G55 AMG W463 Leather Steering Wheel *NEW* | eBay

If you decide to go the AMG steering wheel route, I will soon be taking mine off my E55. I would rather sell it on here than muck about on ebay and it can be had for a good price. It's in excellent condition and a big improvement over the standard mercedes wheels IMO due the the profiled shape. Mine has the buttons on it at the back though, which is standard on that pattern of wheel.

PM me if interested and I will send you some pics.

If you decide to go the AMG steering wheel route, I will soon be taking mine off my E55. I would rather sell it on here than muck about on ebay and it can be had for a good price. It's in excellent condition and a big improvement over the standard mercedes wheels IMO due the the profiled shape. Mine has the buttons on it at the back though, which is standard on that pattern of wheel.

PM me if interested and I will send you some pics.

What wheel are you fitting Simon?

What wheel are you fitting Simon?

Long story, I had a thread running on here a little while ago. Basically I bought an e63 one with the full paddle shifts, but it got badly damaged during delivery and was basically knackered and no chance of refund. I still want the same wheel and have another lined up, I'm just waiting to push the button and go for it. Trouble is I've already spent the little budget I had on the other one. You live and learn!!

just spoke with the guy, going down tomorrow to buy off the shelf with paddles, but because mine is early model not sure if its going to be plug & play, in which case he will take mine to redo and place temporary one on the car, after he explained what he was going to do.... I was shocked at how low the price was!!! happy held off buying from the states which was sooo much more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom