AMG thefts ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RickMM

Car
C63 Saloon
Hi all,
I’ve just been followed and then pulled over by a very polite policeman, who was checking ownership of my C63.
Rather worryingly he told me that thieves are now targeting AMG vehicles. Probably nothing new in that, except that he stated that the thieving scumbags are now able to “key clone” via the OBD port, in a way similar to how older BMWs used to get nicked (I already have personal experience of this with my own e90 M3).
I didn’t think this was possible with MB, but would welcome any input on this from people with more knowledge.
It’d be rather bad news for all of us if true !

Recently had my van tracker properly fitted as it wasn't working

Chewed the installers ear off about this, he said the best thing to do is have someone like him remove the internals of this port (leaving dead port in place) and install a new ODB port elsewhere using that instead (would need to tell any technicians the new position)

He said it was very effective on one car (forgot which one it was now) as even if they clone the key and get the door open, the car has a secondary alarm which sounds if the door has opened and key not started within a certain amount of time, which is originally bypassed when they've cloned the key to gain entry

If I buy an AMG I'll be giving him a call to do the work on my car. Also installs dashcams etc. If anyone else in Northants wants his number I'm happy to share, he sounded quite knowledgable about car security and does private work :thumb:

With the older BMWs you could actually create a new key from a blank simply by plugging a laptop into the OBD port. There was also a problem with a blind spot in the alarm sensors on that model, which made it easier to get away with it quietly.
I'd like to know whether it's actually possible for someone with the right software to do the same on an MB?

Thanks.
Didn't read the whole thread, but this was a W205 model on the first page?
Does anyone know whether this can be done on older models too?

Newer models with Connect Me can be hacked and alarm disabled, doors opened giving access to the OBD. Plug in and away you go.

Older models (or new ones not web connected) have to be physically broken into..

So can a W204 model be "key cloned" via the OBD port if broken in to? (assuming the alarm isn't waking up the neighbourhood !)

The issue with the older BMWs was that there was a blind spot in the alarm sensors, which meant that you could smash a window without setting off the alarm and still gain access to the OBD to do the dirty stuff (lost my own M3 to this trick).
Presumably (hopefully) the MB alarm should go off if a window is smashed?

Theres away to protect your amg from obd key coding,
Working on a kit as we speak,

Theres away to protect your amg from obd key coding,
Working on a kit as we speak,

Presume you work in car security?
Whereabouts are you based?

Hi Rick, I'm a merc tech, and a dealer for acid at msl performance, I'm based in Poole, this kit is designed to stop the reading process and can also fry there machine

Hi Rick, I'm a merc tech, and a dealer for acid at msl performance, I'm based in Poole, this kit is designed to stop the reading process and can also fry there machine

I like the idea of frying their machines :thumb:
I'm quite often in B/ham (this is where I was pulled over today and warned about this by the copper) but yet to get down to MSL.
This is now beginning to concern me, as I've already had one car (BM) taken via key cloning :mad:

Allan AMG said:

Where is that plugged in though, to the cars ODB?

So they'd come across that straight away if they're heading for the ODB anyway, so would removing this device in order to plug themselves in result in the car still being pin locked? Or render it useless if it's been unplugged?

No it's wired into the cars harness. Any where on the car and it's tiny. Like a small usb drive with a couple of wires. Any combination of button can be used to unlock, on the dash or steering wheel from 4-20 button combo. The key can be cloned for all you like but the car will not rev. it will start and then cut out on driving.
It can be overridden with an emergency code if a button fails and it can be put into service mode for dealer/work being carried out.

Last edited:
Allan AMG said:
No it's wired into the cars harness. Any where on the car and it's tiny. Like a small usb drive with a couple of wires. Any combination of button can be used to unlock, on the dash or steering wheel from 4-20 button combo. The key can be cloned for all you like but the car will not rev. it will start and then cut out on driving. It can be overridden with an emergency code if a button fails and it can be put into service mode for dealer/work being carried out.

So how is it connected to the cars harness without wire cutting? Which is one of the key points in that advert

So how is it connected to the cars harness without wire cutting? Which is one of the key points in that advert

:dk: I don't install them? :p

At a guess the OEM harness wire is stripped and device somehow joined but having done little electrical work on cars, I can't answer 100%

Last edited:
Allan AMG said:
:dk: I don't install them? :p At a guess the OEM harness wire is stripped and device somehow joined but having done little electrical work on cars, I can't answer 100%

I know was just curious, lol

If indeed it was truly less intrusive as to cutting wires then I'd be interested in such a product

Give them a call im sure they will at least tell you how its fitted without cutting. Nationwide installs are about £360

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom