AMG tyre choices....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclone1

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W218 CLS63 S AMG
Has / Is anyone running Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres? If so what are your thoughts on them?

Will need to change my rear tyres soon so was thinking Cup 2, PS4S, AD08R’s, 888’s or matching the fronts with Eagle F1 Assym 3’s.

I know most of the above are not so good in the wet, but it’s more the dry grip I’m looking for.

Cheers Jules

Heard very good things about the Uniroyal Rainsport 3's for wet grip Jules. Maybe another brand to consider?
I have no experience of using them myself unfortunately.

Uniroyal Rainsport 3

Edit.......Doh, its dry grip you are looking for. Should read twice before answering:wallbash:

Top summer tyres have that sort of wet performance anyway as they have epic rain channels .

The Uniroyals ( Continental ) wear quickly too , but of a marketing gimmick - shark skin technology , lol.

What type of driving do you do as the Cup 2 take longer to switch on .

There is also the recent Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 !

I ran Michelin PS4 MO1 (AMG spec) on my CLS55. Awesome grip and easily lasted 11k miles

Cheers for the feedback, any other AMG owners running the Cup 2 tyres or have experience of them please?

I’m mainly looking at the dry capability, pushing high power through the rears and how they cope.

Cheers Jules

The odd squirt or prolonged track like licence losing fast road ?
Odd squirt and maybe the odd speed event.

With high power the car breaks traction at 40-70mph and that’s with MPSS tyres (which have been great), so just seeking advice on alternative options that “may” be slightly better. Not massively fussed for wet or general driving as I’m very cautious with the car in those circumstances, plus most road tyres (summer) are decent nowadays in the wet.

AD08R transformed my E-Class. Very little to no warm up required and the car is like on rails (I don’t drive with traction control, only sticky tyres and LSD). But they are not true semi slicks, just an “extreme” UHP tyre.

Cup 2, same as A052 and Trofeo R are semi slicks. Meaning longer warm up, questionable wet experience and faster wear when used on the roads. If you didn’t have semi slicks on yours until now, I’d definitely recommend them or the AD08R. You’ll be “hooked” so to speak.

Wouldn’t run mixed patterns or mixed tyres though.

i have Cup 2 on the fronts , seem ok and ive not had any issues with them, prob better for the rears tbh, theyt have had some bad reviews and been called ditch finders by some in the wet. Got some new PS2`s(old stock ) for the rears which are still my fave tyre.

Anyone ran 888r’s on normal roads? If so how bad are these in the wet?

Those semi slicks were designed to get you to and from the track without changing tyres. You can use them in the wet but you’ll have the same experience as your current tyres under acceleration.

The latest generation of Toyo, Yokos and Mich semi slicks all have a groove running in the centre. Because without one it was a solid block of rubber that would just aquaplan. It makes them somewhat more useable in the wet than the previous generation but I wouldn’t expect anything even close to normal tyres. I.e. slow progress is okay but you have to stay alert. Occasional trips are fine but as a daily I think they will get tiresome quite quick.

The grip in the dry will be awesome though.

Those semi slicks were designed to get you to and from the track without changing tyres. You can use them in the wet but you’ll have the same experience as your current tyres under acceleration.

The latest generation of Toyo, Yokos and Mich semi slicks all have a groove running in the centre. Because without one it was a solid block of rubber that would just aquaplan. It makes them somewhat more useable in the wet than the previous generation but I wouldn’t expect anything even close to normal tyres. I.e. slow progress is okay but you have to stay alert. Occasional trips are fine but as a daily I think they will get tiresome quite quick.

The grip in the dry will be awesome though.

So as a compromise among the AD08r, 888r and Cup 2 tyres, maybe the AD08r is the best compromise for general use, due to it not being a semi slick?

For example if I want to do the odd event where I need a decent launch or good traction when rolling, plus use as an everyday tyre. These fit the bill?

So as a compromise among the AD08r, 888r and Cup 2 tyres, maybe the AD08r is the best compromise for general use, due to it not being a semi slick?

For example if I want to do the odd event where I need a decent launch or good traction when rolling, plus use as an everyday tyre. These fit the bill?

I would personally go with the AD08R if they are available in your size front *and* back. You can also check out Mich PS4S, which another seasonal AMG member on here who tracks his car, described as the best tyre he's had to date. PS4S are not available in sizes below 19" so that sadly rules them out for me.

There's a few helpful reviews on YT but you'll have to take them all with a grain of salt. They typically (and understandably) focus on circuit driving of lighter, smaller and less powered vehicles and look at things like tyre overheating (when it becomes useless for grip) or under/oversteer - something entirely different to the massively powered, heavy, large saloon you're trying to launch in a straight line.

Which unfortunately means there's no easy way to tell which tyre will be best suited for you. After going through countless wheel and suspension setups I've finally accepted the fact that whatever works for some cars "on the Internet" will not necessarily work for mine (and it rarely does). So even something as straight forward as tyres, is best tested on the actual vehicle as power output from your CLS and say a remapped one (of which there are tons) will make the same tyre behave differently. E.g. the remapped guys will swear by PS4 or PS4S but you may find it grips no better than bog standard Falkens and the Cup 2/R888R/A052 are your only chance for a decent hookup.

Long-winded answer, sorry J. But you will have to find yourself what's best for your own scenario. AD08R is a good start and not a very expensive one. Another positive - those tyres rarely last long being soft so before you know it, it's time to look for another, possibly complete different set.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom