AMG v standard build quality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
Do the AMG variants suffer the same bodywork problems as the standard models?

For instance, would a W210 E55 turn into a pile of rust at the same rate as an E220?

Exactly the same! They're all built to the same standard. All W210s rust!

Quicker, if anything due to having the arches rolled post manufacture.

My 02 reg C 32 AMG has rust starting to come through on 3 archs & the bottom corner of both front doors.

My W211 E55 AMG had signs of rust on the inner lip of both rear arches

Same here, both repaired under warranty

I had visions of the bare shells being dipped in a vat of the rarest AMGspezialrustpruffnungmitscheinundsparkel.

Apparently not :(

i had a spot of rust on the underside of the front wheel arch on a 2010 w204 AMG
it was fixed under warranty

Furthermore, my understanding is that AMG cars - or the 'mundane' ones anyway, e.g. C63 - are no longer built in AMG's factory on Affalterbach - but in 'regular' MB plants - if so then there is no reason why the build quality will be any different.

(NOT starting a C63 thread!) :D

Furthermore, my understanding is that AMG cars - or the 'mundane' ones anyway, e.g. C63 - are no longer built in AMG's factory on Affalterbach - but in 'regular' MB plants - if so then there is no reason why the build quality will be any different.

(NOT starting a C63 thread!) :D

agree with you i think all AMGS start at MB factories then get sent to Affalterbach for "treatment"

AMG's factory in Affalterbach only builds engines .. and customisation of cars.

AMGs are built on standard MB production lines where standard options are chosen. Only goes back to Affalterbach for unusual options.

it does not build any cars, not even the SLS.

I had visions of the bare shells being dipped in a vat of the rarest AMGspezialrustpruffnungmitscheinundsparkel.

Apparently not :(

No, they are dipped in - like all Mercs - in Heiße Scheiße.

AMG's factory in Affalterbach only builds engines .. and customisation of cars.

AMGs are built on standard MB production lines where standard options are chosen. Only goes back to Affalterbach for unusual options.

it does not build any cars, not even the SLS.

Yep the SLS is built in Austria then assembled in Stuttgart

great video here

Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG [Ultimate Factories] - Car Videos on StreetFire

AMG man told me that SLS chassis is welded by women in Austria as they are very accurate.

5526218-young-woman-in-black-welder-s-mask.jpg

Someone on here went to look at one and mentioned appalling panel gaps.

Might explain it.

Handmade isn't all its cracked up to be.

In one post you've gone and managed to put me right off my new car :doh:

Although, seeing as it's made out of aluminium I'd be surprised if any welding of the body goes on....more likely it'll be glued and riveted :dk:

Also, I was pretty sure I saw the SLS line at Singlefinden when I had a tour there a couple of years ago....so, apart from the hand welded/riveted/glued body in Austria, the SLS is far from 'hand built' :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom