AMG visit today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palmball

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi R8 V10+ & BMW M5
Went to (finally!) pick my SLS up today so here a few ramblings from my visit....

Firstly and most excitingly, I was shown round an AMG GT :D

Aesthetically, it's exactly as per the pictures - I wondered if it'd look better in person but it's no different. It looks quite sharp and contemporary, but not naturally pretty (to be fair, neither is the SLS). It's noticeably smaller than the SLS though, very similar size wise to the 991 or F-Type. Unfortunately they wouldn't let me take pictures :(

The interior is phenomenal - really funky and beautifully built. The seats as in all AMG's are superb and AMG's new steering wheel looks fab and feels even better. Boot space was smaller than I expected given the hatch design, but still better than 991 or F-Type.

The best bit is they did allow me to start and rev it up so I can now comfortably confirm there's nothing to worry about in terms of sound from AMG's new 4.0 bi turbo. It sounded outrageously good - it's pure AMG and the throttle response (at idle at least) was super sharp. As good as the 6.2? Not sure without a side by side comparison but there's nothing wrong with it isolation.

I also had a good look round the new S63 AMG coupe and that really does look good - it's big, but it's a very pretty car IMO. The interior though is another masterpiece - I honestly reckon, despite the stuck-on ipad looks, the latest MB interiors are impressive from the new C class, S class and AMG GT.

imagejpg1_zpsdeaf535c.jpg

imagejpg2_zps58123cff.jpg

imagejpg6_zps0c6a9ae7.jpg

imagejpg5_zps46b9165e.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsffbca6ed.jpg

One of the other visitors turned up in a Mclaren P1, which I really didn't like the look of (huge panel gaps too, so it looked a bit unfinished). It seemed to have its suspension on some kind of off road setting too :crazy: Anyway, the P1 was on Florida plates which, if he's flown it over from the States, is some extravagance and a half!

imagejpg7_zps99c697fa.jpg

imagejpg8_zpsf249c86e.jpg

Last edited:
The P1 will have been flown over for the event at Spa I'd imagine:

McLaren P1s flock to Spa - PistonHeads

Its got to be the same one as the front row in the picture I'd imagine. My fav car, but in any other colour than black they don't look quiet right :dk:

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the GT in the pics atm - did you like it, I.e. could you see yourself owning one?

I'm not sure about the GT in the pics atm - did you like it, I.e. could you see yourself owning one?

Yes, if I didn't have the SLS then I'd definitely buy one over a 911 on looks alone (both in and outside) and an F- Type on interior (I like the Jag but the interior is comparatively poor quality). From what I heard, it also destroys a 911 on sound.

Instead of the SLS? I'm not so sure....even the guys at AMG said that if you have an SLS now, don't sell it. They don't see the GT as a replacement as it'll be a much higher volume / less exclusive product.

I know what I'm like though so I'm going to have to be very disciplined to resist the GT!

The P1 is defo an American import, hence yellow indicator lights as required in US. Our's are clear until engaged.

Thanks for the write up and pictures. I plan on visiting the AMG factory on Monday. I hope they let me sit in the AMG GT and start it up or at least hear it.

The P1 will have been flown over for the event at Spa I'd imagine:

McLaren P1s flock to Spa - PistonHeads

Its got to be the same one as the front row in the picture I'd imagine. My fav car, but in any other colour than black they don't look quiet right :dk:

Yep, that makes perfect sense and I suspect they're the same car!

Don't you think it looks a bit high in my pictures? It must have adjustable height suspension!

Thanks for the write up and pictures. I plan on visiting the AMG factory on Monday. I hope they let me sit in the AMG GT and start it up or at least hear it.

You might be in luck if it Monday - they only have 4 pre production demonstration cars that are all doing the rounds - it was pure luck this one was at AMG yesterday.

Last edited:
The P1 does have adjustable suspension. In track mode it's super low.

I'd agree with the comments here. I think the P1 (I live near to Woking so see plenty about) looks best in dark colours.

How much is the new "high volume" AMG car?

How much is the new "high volume" AMG car?

Probably £100-120k

The phrase 'high volume' of course needs to be considered in the context it was meant - against the SLS. If the new GT sells similar numbers to a 911, it'll be comparatively high volume.

Personally, I like the P1. It's refreshing to have an occasional supercar designed on function over form. :)

So, where are the pics of the updates to your SLS?? ;)

cheers, Steve

The GT doesn't look that special to me. I thought it was either an S or C coupe from the first photo. The SLS looks way better.

OK, OK....you're an impatient lot! I have some (relatively poor iPhone) pictures below.

I did have a thread on this in the AMG section but seems it was missed in there (do most people not go in that sub section?). Anyway, I'll copy below what I've just written on PH (so apologies if you've read it on there but theres only so many ways one can cut the same story!).

Second SLS and my second round of AMG Design Studio upgrades - the combination of this car and that facility at AMG is not good for one's financial health!

I'd originally taken the car out there for some relatively modest upgrades of:

- SLS GT TCU update
- Re-trimmed steering wheel with contrast stitching and centre stripe as per the GT/Black Series
- Updated gear lever design as fitted to all current AMG's
- New leather for the drivers seat - the current one is worn on the outer bolsters
- Retrofit of the integrated garage door opener - the only option it didn't have and one I do use regularly!

But it's not as simple as just that lot, with a couple of further issues needing sorting hence the extended time it was out there.

Firstly, I've had a faint steering wheel / drivetrain vibration problem since I bought it - it feels like an unbalanced wheel and whilst I noticed the problem before I bought it, I put it down to just that. However, no amount of balancing would get it right even after I bought a new set of front tyres. My MB dealer didn't really know what else to do and I had an inkling (now proven to be wrong) that it might be the ceramic brakes out of balance (a known issue on cars fitted with Brembo ceramic brakes). I took it up with MB and to be honest, they've been outstanding in how they've liaised with AMG to get this sorted.

I don't think they'd be too happy at me sharing the amount or value of the parts they replaced as goodwill but what I will say (on the basis that this part developed an oil leak earlier in the cars' life and was subject to the only warranty claim on the car) is that one of the parts replaced was the whole transmission unit. The end result is a car that's now perfect and MB, who often get a slating for their service, deserve recognition for delivering outstanding service. I will remember this when buying my next car.

The second issue was a little unfortunate but I'm not going to mention any names as I understand that accidents can happen and the way the issue's been dealt with has again been tremendous. A couple of weeks before I went to AMG, my rear view mirror fell off the windscreen and when an attempt was made to reattach it, my windscreen broke. No biggie - it was already chipped and this was easily rectified. Only it would be, if the leather dash wasn't damaged at the same time. Cut a long story slightly shorter, AMG have also replaced the dash (hence the extended time it's been out there) - most of the cost is being covered by the other party however I'm contributing as I've had it upgraded to contrast stitching and a strip of Alcantara (as fitted to the Black Series).

Honestly, the quality of the work is out of this world! Despite the fact the dash has been out of this car, it's 100% rattle free and the trim is totally silent even over the roughest Belgian motorway and the cobbles in Bruges - and I'm very sensitive to rattles and unwanted noises.

The car isn't totally finished because AMG still hadn't received the new seat leather from their supplier (9 weeks after I ordered it!). They also want to replace (at their cost) the two side panels down the centre console between the seats as the clips broke during the process.

I got fed up waiting for the car so I went and collected it on Friday - I intend to take it back for a day in three weeks so they can finish the final few bits - I know it'll add another 1400 miles which I'll probably regret one day but hey, I just want to enjoy this car and that kind of enjoyment is best outside of this country :)

Heres a few relatively poor iPhone pictures of the upgrades you can see...

IMG_1692_zps6147d9e2.jpg

IMG_1693_zps117f5028.jpg

IMG_1694_zps0b23e42b.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great mate, well done.

I love what you do, buy these cars and just improve them and a few months later sell them:D:thumb:

Yep, that makes perfect sense and I suspect they're the same car!

Don't you think it looks a bit high in my pictures? It must have adjustable height suspension!

You might be in luck if it Monday - they only have 4 pre production demonstration cars that are all doing the rounds - it was pure luck this one was at AMG yesterday.
I went to the AMG factory but only saw them driving the GT's away. Going somewhere abroad. It was sad but at least I got to see the engine up close with the cut away they had in the showroom. The rest of the cars are as per your pictures plus a nice GLA45 next to the new 4.0 Bi-Turbo GT engine.

Palmball said:
I know what I'm like though so I'm going to have to be very disciplined to resist the GT!

Couldn't resist, could you?!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom