AMG water temp reading

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

addbuyer

SUPPORTER
Car
Panamera Turbo S
Why does the water temp reading (AMG setting) start at 40 degrees upon the first start up of the day?

The oil temp reading is about right with the current external temp so why not the water temp.

Most "modern "cars now only have gauges that start at 40c and read up to 120c. The thinking being that below 40c - why worry? Above 120c you should have taken some preventative action.

Lots of cars now do not even bother going to that level with gauges marked Cold and Hot. Or indeed some have no gauge at all for coolant/water temp relying on a warning light for overheat.

Seems strange to me when its the AMG setting that's giving you exacting info on oil temp, gear selection, speed etc :dk:

Seems strange to me when its the AMG setting that's giving you exacting info on oil temp, gear selection, speed etc :dk:
Have you noticed how quickly the water temp rises above the 40c level when you start up? There's little (actually, no) point to showing water temp below 40c.

By contrast, the oil temp rises pretty slowly so it's worth indicating that.

Have you noticed how quickly the water temp rises above the 40c level when you start up? There's little (actually, no) point to showing water temp below 40c.

Yeah I have but it would just be interesting to know what the water temp is when the outside temp gauge shows say -10 :)

You should have only coolant i.e glycol and water so below outside temp freezing your coolant will still not freeze. So it is really considered irrelevant. Now were you to drain and refill with water

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Fair point. When I used to have my TVR I would have to watch the OIL temperature very carefully. No going above 2500 rpm until this was above 40C. On a cold winter's day this could take up to 20 minutes. A real PITA.

Water temperature was irrelevant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom