AMG Wheels soft?

BigJase88

Car
2018 CLA200d
Hit a pothole today. About 50mph

Braced myself for the accompanying flat

Finished the journey and thought i better check the tyre for a bubble however i didn't think it would of done any damage

However the alloy has had it. I am suprised. They must be quite soft

20220125_143718.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigJase88

BigJase88

Car
2018 CLA200d
I would imagine a decent wheel refurb company could straighten that out - might be worth a phone round
I bought one on ebay for £220 to get me by the now.

Will look and see if can get it straightened. It's a right pisser as the wheel otherwise was immaculate. The one i have sourced has been refurbed so looks mint too.

The tyre suprisingly looks okay. So hopefully get away with that.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300

Keep an eye on it. I hit a pothole in our C Class recently ... there was no visible damage at the time but within a couple of days both the nearside tyres had a significant bulge come up on the sidewall.

OP
OP
BigJase88

BigJase88

Car
2018 CLA200d
Keep an eye on it. I hit a pothole in our C Class recently ... there was no visible damage at the time but within a couple of days both the nearside tyres had a significant bulge come up on the sidewall.
Oh i do hope not.

That will be like £350 down the pan as that is a new Conti. I have just also renewed my road tax this morning funnily enough.

Brilliant. 😡

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
The tyres on our C Class were also Contis, but luckily they were reasonably well worn so I replaced all 4. That was 'only' £516 though.

ChrisHGTV

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E250 Avantgarde Estate, Alfa GTV V6, Vespa, Ducati, many bicycles...
I bought one on ebay for £220 to get me by the now.

Will look and see if can get it straightened. It's a right pisser as the wheel otherwise was immaculate. The one i have sourced has been refurbed so looks mint too.

If it were me I’d replace the tyre, it must have taken quite a hit to bend the rim. I’ve seen pictures where the inside has delaminated but you can’t see it. If the tyre is new you might get away with just buying one rather than a pair?

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
If it were me I’d replace the tyre, it must have taken quite a hit to bend the rim. I’ve seen pictures where the inside has delaminated but you can’t see it. If the tyre is new you might get away with just buying one rather than a pair?
^ This.

I wouldn't be inclined to trust a tyre that has suffered such a localised load that the rim supporting it was bent. Damage to the reinforcing web is very likely, but impossible to see, and can result in catastrophic failure.

OP
OP
BigJase88

BigJase88

Car
2018 CLA200d
The tyre place local to me only stock mid range. Best they will have is a Kumho.

I cannot get a Conti shipped to me until 28th and im at work all weekend.

New wheel will be here on Thursday so i will refit the continental and see how it goes. Be easy to check for a bubble on the XL mark.

Will then get a new continental the week after just need the car for work this weekend and i dont want to have to fit a kumho for a few days.

If the tyre is knackered obviously i have no choice

Flyinspanner

MB Enthusiast
Car
A209 320CLK (CL500 & W168 sold)
The low profile tyres exacerbate the problem little depth before the rim hits!

If the roads get much worse we’ll all be back on 16” with a 65 profile :eek:

OP
OP
BigJase88

BigJase88

Car
2018 CLA200d
The low profile tyres exacerbate the problem little depth before the rim hits!

If the roads get much worse we’ll all be back on 16” with a 65 profile :eek:
I was considering some 19's for it but that has now been well and truly scratched now.

vijilants

MB Enthusiast
Car
W205 C43 AMG
If the pothole caused the damage, take some pictures and put in a repair claim with the associated council.

OP
OP
BigJase88

BigJase88

Car
2018 CLA200d
If the pothole caused the damage, take some pictures and put in a repair claim with the associated council.
Yeah i tried that once before with a tyre

The script is well my council area. If there is no yellow paint around it then they do not know about it and will not pay out.

Granted i could just drive around until i find a marked pothole but that sounds like effort.

Plus the form filling is not a 5 minute event

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
2014 E63 Biturbo
I was considering some 19's for it but that has now been well and truly scratched now.
I had 18"'s on my E55 and had a couple of cracked rear rims.
Got 19's on the E63 and they are fine despite the state of our roads. Not all 19" AMG wheels crack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom