AMG Widebody 190

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

talbir

MB Enthusiast
Well, Jay's inspired me to get started with this project of mine which has been festering for 9 months now...enough time to have a baby ! Which i did abut 3 weeks ago !!!:bannana:

So, lots of people know about Widebody SECs. Less known are the Widebody w124 Coupes. But an even rare Widebody is the AMG 190E !

I missed a couple of chances to buy the complete kits over the last couple of years on ebay but managed to snap one up earlier this year at a magnificent price of under 500 euros ! Guy managed to ship the whole 9 pieces to me as well for 125 Euros !!

So the donor car....it had to be an early 190E without the slab side mouldings and one other angle on this Widebody...i will fit into it a V8 4.2 engine with uprated bhp. So another prerequisite was that it should be a 190e 2.6,as that is a much better starting basis for a V8 conversion with it's detachable slam panel, bigger rad etc.

So i found one...only it was an original Carat Duchatelet car, but not driving too well. That was an easy fix and finlly yesterday i started digging the bits out of the garage loft to start work today.

Pictures say a thousand words, so i'll leave it at that. but list of bits that the car will receive :

- AMG Widebody front spoiler bumper
- AMG Widebody front wings
- AMG Widebody side skirts
- AMG Widebodyrear arch flares
- AMG rear bumper
- AMG boot spoiler
- AMG w126 Series 2 Penta wheels, part no 7400100
- AMG exhaust tips
- AMG Alacantra steering wheel
- AMG leather/alacantra Recaro Classic Cs

Note, the AMG Widebody w201s were equipped with w126 AMG Pentas !!! that gives a sense of how wide the conversion is from stock, given that w126 pentas are 8J and offset e11 !!! Stock width and offset on a 190 would be 7J et 42 !!! An entire inch and 31 mm !! That's over two inches !!

The donor car is a Smoke Silver colour, but my Widebody SEC is already that colour and i don't want two MBs the same colour in my stable. So after discussion, i have chosen Signal Red. Should bring out the lines nicely and interior will be changed to black !

So other bits :

- US Series 1 headlamps (these allow the surround to be color coded as well)

- all trims/beadings/badges/grille etc to be finished in Satin Black, like AMG did on so many cars

- Brabus lowering springs (unless i find AMG w201 versions)

- Koni adjustable shocks (unless i find AMG w201 versions)

First pictures are of an actual AMG Widebody w201.

And here's a link to an original AMG Wiebeody 6.0 w201 ....!

http://www.geocities.com/shvoldum/conversions/amg.html

An easier conversion than the SEC in that the rears are just arch conversions rather than huge flares that the SEC has to deal with. Only my rear flares are used items cut from a Widebody w201.

Enjoy !

Last edited:
more.....

Last edited:
more,,

Last edited:
Good stuff, talbir! I look forward to watching this project progress :rock:
Why a 4.2 conversion, and not a 5.0, or even 5.6?

Also, what's the latest on your Gemballa?

Darren

Good stuff, talbir! I look forward to watching this project progress :rock:
Why a 4.2 conversion, and not a 5.0, or even 5.6?

Also, what's the latest on your Gemballa?

Darren

I've got too many 5.6s and 5.0s !!

A 4.2 is enough in a lightweight 190....car already has Carat lowering springs on it, so i need to see what she drops to with the additional 200kg of the V8 before changing to the Brabus kit. Hopefully i might find AMG suspension kit by then.

The Gemballa ? Well, i'm having one of the forum members talk to UWe Gemballa to verify it's originality !!! :D :D :D

No, just kidding....it's safely in storage...all will be revealed in Jan !!

cheers
talbir

Great thread, but whats with the US spec headlights? dont you think that they look... a little odd?

Have to say thats probably the only thing that doesnt do it for me.. the front lights

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom