Amp Temperature?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
Just wanted to check with any of you guys running additional amplifiers - how hot do they get?

I noticed mine gets extremely hot, to the extent you cannot touch it. Is this normal, is the exterior case/heatsink suppossed to be that hot when in use?

I have mine mounted under the false floor. I know Jimmy does too and Oxford Car Audio (who I believe to be reputable) have seen my install and not passed comment, but I thought I had better check.

amp.jpg

If you remember, in my last car I mounted the amp in the boot on the side as I was told they generate alot of heat and require a good airflow around them. It never did get noticably hot, only if you turn it right up for a long time and then it does get hot and you can smell it too.:D

On my new car, I have the Amp inside the spare wheel along with the CD-changer, I made a special fixing out of MDF to mount them on out of the way of the dogs. I don't think it gets hot and the dogs have never said so.:cool:

Originally posted by GrahamC230K

I have mine mounted under the false floor.

Mounted? looks like it's just thrown in!

Yep some amps do get hot especially if your running them at a lower impedence, my Phoenix Gold gets VERY hot but I have had it running for hours on end and it's been fine!

Re: Re: Amp Temperature?

Originally posted by Koolvin
Mounted? looks like it's just thrown in!

Yep some amps do get hot especially if your running them at a lower impedence, my Phoenix Gold gets VERY hot but I have had it running for hours on end and it's been fine!

LOL. My AMP is "mounted" to the same standard as yours Koolvin.

Well my amp is only tiny so gets worked hard to run my Sub and yes gets hot very quickly and you can from time to time smell it too! That's what made me wonder.

So you think it's OK, or had I better shift it out from it's hiding place to somewhere it can breathe?

its fine....

Re: Re: Re: Amp Temperature?

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
So you think it's OK, or had I better shift it out from it's hiding place to somewhere it can breathe?

I have mine in the right hand side boot 'well' which gives it more air than under the carpet

Didn't you get a remote with it?

I got one with mine, but only get it out the cubby hole when I have a new girl in the passenger seat.

You could maybe install a couple of small computer fans to cool the heatsink on the amp - if nothing else it will aid the air circulation.

Originally posted by Sp!ke
You could maybe install a couple of small computer fans to cool the heatsink on the amp - if nothing else it will aid the air circulation.

Nowhere for air to go. Will leave for now, as opinion seems to be that it's normal.

I wouldnt worry too much, output transistors usually have a maximum temperatures of 150 deg C or so, yours is is pretty unlikely to be getting that hot. Also properly designed amps should have a thermal trip.

I was over at a friends listening to his new power amp (domestic, not car) It is a 100W pure class A design, and consumes 500W at idle:eek: This gets seriously hot - touch the heatsinks on this baby and you'll leave some burnt skin behind:D

Cheers Robbo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom