Amy Winehouse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
very depressing news all round -having been on duty all weekend had other things to occupy my thoughts.

9a440472.jpg

The "27 Club"

Amy Winehouse - Singer/songwriter.
Died: 23 July 2011 - Found at her London flat cause unknown.

Brian Jones - Rolling Stones founder and rhythm guitarist/multi-instrumentalist.

Died: 3 July 1969 - Drowned in swimming pool.

Jimi Hendrix - Pioneering electric guitarist, singer, and songwriter for The Jimi Hendrix Experience, and Band of Gypsys.
Died: 18 September 1970 - Asphyxiated on vomit after accidental overdose of sleeping pills.

Janis Joplin - Lead vocalist and songwriter for Big Brother & The Holding Company, The Kozmic Blues Band and Full Tilt Boogie Band.
Died: 4 October 1970 - Possible heroin overdose.

Jim Morrison - Poet, lead singer, songwriter, and video director for The Doors.
Died: 3 July 1971 - Official cause of death listed as "heart failure" but, as no autopsy was performed, the actual cause remains mysterious. Possible accidental overdose.

Kurt Cobain - Lead singer, guitarist, and songwriter for Nirvana.
Died: 8 April 1994 - Officially recorded as suicide by self inflicted gun shot, although there remains much speculation.

Louis Chauvin - Ragtime musician.
Died: 26 March 1908 - Syphilis.

Robert Johnson - Bluesman. Recorded very famous and influential set of 29 songs that influenced many famous musicians after himncluding Bob Dylan and Led Zeppelin.
Died: 16 August 1938 - Unknown, but typically credited to strychnine poisoning. Possibly shot.

Jesse Belvin - R&B singer and songwriter.
Died: 6 February 1960 - Car accident.

Johnny Kidd - Leader, singer & songwriter for Johnny Kidd & The Pirates
Died: 7 October 1966 Car Accident.

Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson - Leader, singer and primary composer of Canned Heat.
Died: 3 September 1970 - Barbiturate overdose, possible suicide.

Les Harvey - Guitarist of Stone the Crows.
Died: 2 May 1972 - Electrocuted by a microphone.

Ron "Pigpen" McKernan - Founding member and keyboardist of the Grateful Dead.
Died: 8 March 1973 - Gastrointestinal hemorrhage associated with alcoholism.

Dave Alexander - Bassist for The Stooges.
Died: 10 February 1975 - Pulmonary edema.

Peter Ham - Keyboardist/Guitarist, leader of Badfinger.
Died: 24 April 1975 - Suicide by hanging.

Gary Thain - Former bassist of Uriah Heep.
Died: 8 December 1975 - Drug overdose.

Chris Bell - Singer-songwriter and guitarist of power pop band Big Star and solo.
Died: 27 December 1978 - Car accident; drove into a telegraph pole.

D. Boon - Guitarist, lead singer of punk band the Minutemen.
Died: 22 December 1985 - Lying down in the back of a van when it left the road, he was thrown from the van and broke his neck.

Pete de Freitas - Drummer for Echo & the Bunnymen.
Died: 14 June 1989 - Motorcycle accident returning from filming a music video.

Mia Zapata - Lead singer of The Gits.
Died: 7 July 1993 - Murdered.

Kristen Pfaff - Bass guitarist for Hole.
Died: 16 June 1994 - Heroin overdose.

Fat Pat - Rapper and member of Screwed Up Click.
Died: 3 February 1998 - Shot.

Sean Patrick McCabe - Lead singer of Ink & Dagger.
Died: 28 August 2000 - Choked on his own vomit after ingesting too much alcohol.

Jeremy Michael Ward - The Mars Volta and De Facto sound manipulator.
Died: 25 May 2003 - Heroin overdose.

Bryan Ottoson - Guitarist for American Head Charge.
Died: 19 April 2005 - Accidental prescription drug overdose.

Different songs. The Amy Winehouse/Mark Ronson track was a cover of a song by The Zutons.

I know that -no one could ever confuse the two -they are similar in name only:)
It is surprising the number of rock stars who have lived thru the drugs/booze excess -Ozzy,Lemmy,Elton,Ronnie Woods , plus many many others i'm sure the list is curiously lenghty:confused:

Oh well...

no she was not,bless her,if her tragic,but not unpredictable death frightens some of our young generation off the road to ruin(alcohol,drugs) her time on earth had purpose R.I.P Amy.

I find it strange that people are saying Amy Winehouse didn't die of a drug overdose she died of alcohol poisoning instead. :confused: So that makes it OK then --she was not a "druggy" -- she had kicked the habit. Sorry to say this but alcohol is a drug-- albeit a legal one.:doh: So drug addiction killed her. :( Just because alcohol is legally available and is used socially should not blur the reality of what happened to this troubled girl and the danger alcohol presents to people with an addictive personality.:dk:

Alcohol is in many ways the worst drug. Certainly the most destructive & costly society has to deal with.

Seriously - what did anyone expect from her? It's in her name!

Winehouse for the less alert

:ban:

I find it strange that people are saying Amy Winehouse didn't die of a drug overdose she died of alcohol poisoning instead. :confused: So that makes it OK then --she was not a "druggy" -- she had kicked the habit. Sorry to say this but alcohol is a drug-- albeit a legal one.:doh: So drug addiction killed her. :( Just because alcohol is legally available and is used socially should not blur the reality of what happened to this troubled girl and the danger alcohol presents to people with an addictive personality.:dk:

People rarely die of the "addiction" - so in her case she died due to an extremely high level of alcohol being consumed (wasn't the level 416mg, with the pathologist saying 350mg is the level normally associated with fatality).

Although I get the sentiment of what you're saying, it was the amount she consumed that killed her. That amount would kill Mrs E - who drinks a small glass of Rioja once in a blue moon - or a 30-year non-abstinent alcoholic. For any substance addict, it's usually the overdose that does it - you can end up needing more and more to achieve the same "hit" until you go over the edge...

The sad thing is that she obviously wasn't getting the support that someone in her sorry state needed. If I was the father, I would be asking where the Vodka came from, why the doctor (who described her as being "tipsy"), knowing she was trying to overcome her alcoholism, did not alert anyone. What was her close protection person supposed to be doing?

People rarely die of the "addiction" - so in her case she died due to an extremely high level of alcohol being consumed (wasn't the level 416mg, with the pathologist saying 350mg is the level normally associated with fatality).

Although I get the sentiment of what you're saying, it was the amount she consumed that killed her. That amount would kill Mrs E - who drinks a small glass of Rioja once in a blue moon - or a 30-year non-abstinent alcoholic. For any substance addict, it's usually the overdose that does it - you can end up needing more and more to achieve the same "hit" until you go over the edge...

The sad thing is that she obviously wasn't getting the support that someone in her sorry state needed. If I was the father, I would be asking where the Vodka came from, why the doctor (who described her as being "tipsy"), knowing she was trying to overcome her alcoholism, did not alert anyone. What was her close protection person supposed to be doing?

You are correct of course addiction per se doesn't kill. What I was trying to get at was society's strange attitude to different forms of addiction. Her father was a great pains to say she did not die of a drug overdose that she was " in remission" To my mind she merely swapped her drug of choice- with fatal results. It's like "Overdosed on heroin " filthy drug abuser--- deserved everything she got. :mad: Got a bit too pi**ed "oh dear how sad" we all make mistakes. :eek:
I reckon that sends out the wrong message to youngsters - society says its OK to drink yourself to death but overdose on drugs is some sort of unpardonable sin. I make no distinction--the end result is the same - a young life cut needlessly short. :dk:

You are correct of course addiction per se doesn't kill. What I was trying to get at was society's strange attitude to different forms of addiction. Her father was a great pains to say she did not die of a drug overdose that she was " in remission" To my mind she merely swapped her drug of choice- with fatal results. It's like "Overdosed on heroin " filthy drug abuser--- deserved everything she got. :mad: Got a bit too pi**ed "oh dear how sad" we all make mistakes. :eek:
I reckon that sends out the wrong message to youngsters - society says its OK to drink yourself to death but overdose on drugs is some sort of unpardonable sin. I make no distinction--the end result is the same - a young life cut needlessly short. :dk:

To a certain extent that is true - alcohol (and cigarettes) have nowhere near the same stigma attached as other illegal substances do.

However, saying that someone died of "acoholic poisoning" is quite a powerful message in it's own right. My soon-to-be 17-yo son saw the story and said that he didn;'t realise alcohol could poison you - that developed into a intersting and surprisingly mature conversation around the whole topic of substance abuse ("Why do you drink alcohol if it's a poison?" - "I enjoy it, in moderation" - "But it can kill you" - "So can water if you drink too much. You need to understand the risks and issues involved before making your own decisions"...).

I can also understand where her father is coming from - in the same way that every child who comes to an untimely death was a wonderful, caring, gifted, clever, talented, etc, etc, individual. He needs to remember her in a certain way, and that's how he would like her fans to remember her too.

I like to remember my mate, who died in similar circumstances a little while back, as a cracking drummer, good laugh, a guy who loved his wife and family - not the lying, cheating, thieving scumbag that his addiction turned him into. He poisoned himself with other substances - and I think that telling the world Amy Winehouse poisoned herself with alcohol is quite a powerful message which is not wrapped up in the usual PR nonsense.

And blessed are they who promote it as a pleasure for all and profit by selling it any time of the day. Fools are they who criticise its healing powers and say tis a curse on life itself.
And should our glorious leaders dare say it is no more the great provider of an evening trade that we all benefit, lest we no longer indulge their wisdom and offer their tax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom