An abortive road trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

artyman

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Kia E-Niro ex C 200 CDI Sport
Two weeks ago I went on what was to be a photographic road trip to Scotland. First day drove from the South coast to just below Glasgow where I spent the first night
IMG_H5673.jpg

the speedo was showing this, so fairly happy with the mpg.

IMG_H5675.jpg

Set off in sunshine a reasonably pleasant drive alongside Loch Lomond

IMG_H5677.jpg

IMG_H5678.jpg

stopped a couple of times for photo opportunities.

IMG_H5683.jpg

IMG_H5681.jpg

Though the traffic lights for roadworks were a bit of a pain as the Loch Lomond road is single carriageway, so had a few stops, but since I wasn't in a particular hurry it didn't matter as I made my way to Rannoch Moor.

IMG_H5685.jpg

IMG_H5687.jpg

It was sunny as I made my way across , but I bet it can be really bleak acroos there in the depths of winter. My trusty steed, parked up as I took a comfort stop behind an obliging bush.

IMG_H5694.jpg

Great panoramic views
IMG_H5688.jpg

IMG_H5689.jpg

IMG_H5690.jpg

This was my last stop before going through Glen Coe
IMG_H5696.jpg

I fastened my phone to the sun visor and shot some video, it was nice to view it on the TV last night, it gave me the opportunity to really appreciate the scenery which you can't fully do whilst driving. I was
quite pleased the way it came out apart from the Insect that committed suicide on the windscreen.

http://youtu.be/lSrITb3E1D8

Arriving at Fort William I sought out a B&B for the night, this is where it started to go wrong, reversing in the car park of one establishment I didn't see a low railing below the bootline and this was the result!

IMG_H5731.jpg

I finally found somewhere and set off on the road to Mallaig, feeling somewhat annoyed with myself, I drove on to Glenfinnan to photograph the Jacobite steam train. Climbed up the mountainside, now I hadn't
planned on any major hikes so only had my trainers as against my hiking boots, bad move! it was like walking on a sponge, how can somewhere that is so much higher than the surrrounding land be so wet, logic
says the water should have run downhill, leaving the hillside dry!

Scrambling up, my camera which was hung over my shoulder was bouncing around and on arrival at my vantage point I discovered part of the modular lens hood was missing, presumably lost on the ascent, the second
disaster.

Waited patiently for the train, watching some ominous clouds envelop the surrounding mountains, and
wondered if I would get my shots before getting soaked (the wet weather gear was back down in the car).

IMG_H5699.jpg

The train duly arrived although disappointingly the loco was running tender first.

IMG_H5703.jpg

IMG_H5705.jpg

IMG_H5710.jpg

Set off back down and about one third of the way went over on my ankle spraining it rather badly. Managed to get to my feet and wondered if I could make it back down to the car park. The ankle was extremely
painful but since no one was around the choice was a "Night on a Bare Mountain" thank you Mr Mussorgsky, or get down as best I could.
Some time later, I reached the car park, with the bottom of my trousers together with my trainers soaking wet .

At this stage I sat in the car feeling distinctly miserable. They say things go in threes! Limped over to the Cafe and bought a couple of sandwiches and a cup of tea. I felt I needed to get the ankle checked at a hospital as it was now resembling a football. Fort William, the nearest civilisation was
about 12 miles away from Glenfinnan

IMG_H5714.jpg

So prodding the accelerator with my left foot until over 20mph when I could then utilise the cruise control, plus some rally style left foot braking.
Found the local hospital, which had no car park, but thankfully a public one directly opposite even if it did cost £1.50. I was plonked in a wheelchair and after initial examination they felt it needed to be x-
rayed just to make sure it wasn't broken, thankfully it wasn't. They strapped it up and gave me two lots of medication and sent me on my way.

Drove hundred yards from the car park to a Brewers Fayre, where I had something to eat before retiring to the B&B to lick my wounds.

I felt a bit better in the morning so initially continued with my plan and headed towards the Isle of Skye, although the weather wasn't good it was expected to improve later in the day. It was rather murky as I went past the Commando memorial.

IMG_H5723.jpg

IMG_H5725.jpg

On receiving a phone call from my wife and subsequent discussion, I decided that perhaps it wasn't wise to continue with the trip, so decided I would go towards Inverness and then head back down south. I didn't
realise that Loch Ness was quite so long, and I was at Inverness before I finally started heading south again.

IMG_H5729.jpg

A stop at Aviemore for fuel, and comfort stop at Stirling Services by mid afternoon, saw me expecting to arrive home around 10:30pm. Another stop at a Service area on the M40 for a burger and a coffee, which I
deemed might be a good idea to keep me alert. The services at Sutton Scotney had no diesel and I figured I could just make it home, so economy mode employed. The speedo looked like this as I pulled onto my drive.

IMAG0025.jpg

So all in all not the trip I had envisaged, 1,350 miles to photograph a train! The ankle is till painful two weeks on, and I shall need to go back again to get the photos I missed.

Last edited:
An eventful trip.

Hope the ankle feels better soon. I did have to look twice to see if it was a silver estate!

Great photos and write-up and good video, Artyman - love ABBA... ;)

At 5:00, passing the start of the final stretch of the West Highland way over the Devils Staircase to Kinlochleven. (done it, hard going, also used by trials bikers)

At 9:05, passing Jimmy Savile's house on the right.

At 9:40, had a three day caravan holiday in the layby on the left. Far less traffic in those days and no worries about casual parking.

At 16:27, nice tearoom and shop on left.

Sorry about your misfortunes - even harder to bear as they were essentially of your own doing. Hope it hasn't put you off a return visit.

...missed the picture of you in the bushes...:D

No not an estate but yes I guess it is rather like the *** sagas of old, rather miss them. I do hope to return, perhaps next year in late spring, maybe with the missus to keep me in check :D

Well it would have been a good trip apart from the mishaps, but apart from the car boot, no lasting damage done.

I can recommend a good B&B just outside FW if you go again. When we stayed there I said it was the best nights sleep we had had in Scotland, to which their reply was tehy were pleased to hear it as the bed cost £2500...

It is similar to the trip I did a couple of years ago except:
1) I did not hurt my ankle -I hope it feels better very soon
2) I did it in a V6 petrol - The cost of the fuel tax and VAT hurt so much, it almost took away some of the pleasure of the drive.

Thanks for the write up, photo's and video.

Great write up and pic's, Thanks T.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom