an awkward fact or two

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.

balge

Car
Mercedes-Benz W124
knighterrant after sleeping for forty years, came up with this...

"The words 'cap' and 'fit' come to mind.
FYI, immigrants are all firstly foreigners who come to the UK usually with the intention of setting up permanent residence. They don't necessarily become British Citizens. Until that time they are foreigners. Many retain dual citizenship. However, it's good to know you're implying that you don't have an axe to grind against immigrants who demonstrate their allegiance to this country by becoming British Citizens.
You did accuse our governments of "shipping in three million odd foreign workers to force wages down as far as possible". To save me the trouble of trying to find the evidence for this, would you please be kind enough to let me know when this happened. I know that many businesses get products manufactured abroad where labour is cheaper, but I don't remember any government saying their intention was to force UK wages down as far as possible. And I know that in 1941 about 350 West Indians were brought over to work in Liverpool, then after WW2 a few hundred more West Indians plus a couple of hundred thousand Eastern Europeans were encouraged to come to the UK to fill labour shortages. Then more people from the Empire and Commonwealth came of their own accord until restrictions were introduced in the early 70s. Hundreds of thousands more have arrived in the UK, particularly following our entry in Europe. But they weren't invited by any governments. So I can account for a few hundred thousand foreigners invited here to fill vacancies (just for that reason, not to force down wages), but not the three million you talked about. But my memory is failing with old age so I'll accept that I could easily be wrong, but also surprised. Please educate me."

Ok, I will try.

im·mi·grant
/ˈimigrənt/
Noun
A person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country.

mi·grant (mgrnt)
n.
1. One that moves from one region to another by chance, instinct, or plan.
2. An itinerant worker who travels from one area to another in search of work.

Migrants in the UK Labour Market: An Overview | The Migration Observatory

"Key points
The number of foreign-born people of working age in the UK increased from 2.9 million in 1993 to nearly 6 million in 2011.

The share of foreign-born people in total employment increased from 7.2% in 1993 to 14.4% in 2011. The share of foreign-citizens in total employment increased from 3.5% in 1993 to 9.2% in 2011."

I know the difference between 'immigrant' and 'migrant', and was very careful not to conflate them - try using a dictionary because you obviously don't.

BBC News - UK net migration numbers decrease - ONS

"The Office for National Statistics said that estimated net migration in the year to December 2011 was 216,000 - down from 252,000 the previous year."

Net migration to UK remains at more than 250,000 a year | UK news | guardian.co.uk

"Net migration to UK remains at more than 250,000 a year"

But you can only account for a few hundred thousand since WWII eh...

Try using facts in future rather than opinions, and keep your malicious allegations to yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom