An end to tyre threads...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markjay

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5 RWD / 2016 Suzuki Vitara AWD
Tire label - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hallelujah. Standard tyre labelling - from 1 November 2012. And not a moment too soon!

EC_tyre_label_web_rgb_M.jpg

Now, this will be interesting!!

"Tires that make too much noise as determined by the EU, will have an extra tax/penalty imposed on them from November 2012."

4x4 and AT Tyres Exempt from regs :)

A tax on tyre noise,really? Is the rest of Europe aware of how much tax we already pay in this country.
I'm a little confused as to what makes a pre 1990 tyre different,any ideas?

To make noise you need energy, thus noisy tyres are costing fuel and making pollution.

Fair enough Dieselman but why not 4x4 tyres,the vast majority never venture off road, so what's the difference?

How do you work DB on a tyre and come to think of it why? :dk:

Can you hear the tyres on say a Skooby or an AMG 6.3 at full chat or even half chat. I don't think so.

Fair enough Dieselman but why not 4x4 tyres,the vast majority never venture off road, so what's the difference?

I think they mean off-road tyres, as road-going SUV tyres are included.

How do you work DB on a tyre and come to think of it why? :dk:

Can you hear the tyres on say a Skooby or an AMG 6.3 at full chat or even half chat. I don't think so.

You can if you're standing on the pavement as it passes by. It's an environmental intiative.

You can if you're standing on the pavement as it passes by. It's an environmental intiative.

Just like engines and cars are now subject to drive by noise legislation.

So long as these so off road tyres are not being used on tarmac at any time,otherwise this is just another badly thought out idea.
I still don't get the 1990 bit though,surely they'd just develop new eco tyres for all the old sizes once old stocks had depleted.

Exhaust noise has been subject to regs for many years

So long as these so off road tyres are not being used on tarmac at any time,otherwise this is just another badly thought out idea.
I still don't get the 1990 bit though,surely they'd just develop new eco tyres for all the old sizes once old stocks had depleted.

I'm finding your line of thought difficult to follow.

On the first point it seems that regular SUV (chelsea tractor) tyres will be covered under the regulation but proper off road 4x4 tyres won't be. The number of vehicles that applies to is minimal and personally I would rather Farmer Joe could get about his fields than worry about a bit of additional road noise.

On the issue of tyres for cars made pre-1990, it doesn't matter as all those tyre will have been replaced by more modern tyre designs anyway, but once again the number in regular use will be very small, so pretty irrelevant and a stop date needs to be set for manufacturers to work to.

I fully agree with you about farmers needing their 4x4 to get around,I can see this being abused though. If the tyres can be used on the road,people will use them. I see 4x4 vehicles around her with big nobbly tyres on,they don't venture offroad.But because they are offroad tyres,they would be exempt.

I think you answered my query about the 1990 tyres,so I guess the idea is for keeping some classic tyre designs available for pre 1990 cars. And true,there aren't so many left on the roads,although surely it would make more sense for them to use modern tyres if the size is available.

It's a shame whoever wrote the wikipedia article can't spell the word "Tyre" though.

Out of interest, would making a tyre quieter and more fuel efficient logically mean reducing it's adhesion and therefore make the car more dangerous? It just seems to me that this ammounts to a tax on safety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom