An exploding Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
Driving home on the M1 just before the M25 there was a sudden eruption of thick white smoke from what turned out to be a W210 saloon (no model designation). It was so thick cars braked hard, hazards went on, a Saab in front of me even pulled over, and it was like a thick fogbank. I slowed right down and saw the Merc still driving along but with white smoke pouring out of the exhaust.

It was all over in a flash but pretty hairy. Any ideas what it might have been? A headgasket failure seems likely to me.

Strange that, saw a very dirty rusty silver(I think)210 near me this evening belching clouds of white smoke.I once filled a transit van with diesel only to find out after smoke screening a duel carriage way that it was a petrol engine,wonder if that was the cause of the smokey
210's.

Turbo gone. Engine oil normally used to lubricate the Turbo bearings is pumped directly into the exhaust. The resultant smoke trail is usually very spectacular!

Sth like that happened to my e240. The m112 sometimes if used for short journeys can clog the oil way at the back of the engine. Happened to mine and the oil flooded the left bank and forced it into cylinder one. There was so much cloud I lost all three lanes behind me.

The result was cleaned up the oil ways and car started running again and I kept using it for 2 more years but had a slightly bent conrod (low compression on cylinder 1) and was using up a bit more oil.

But seeing the amount of smoke and listening to it knocking I though it would never run again.

A couple of years ago I put my foot down and a thick white cloud filled the road behind only for a second and its never happened since so i never bothered looking into it.

I had the same many years ago when the CHG went suddenly in my Audi 100 .

Only , of course , it was steam and not smoke that came out of the exhaust .

It was all over in five seconds or so , after which I got a tow home .

Never had a CHG go in any of my Mercs .

Agree with the turbo failure... I had the misfortune to experience it with a Mitsi Shogun ... Turbo failed resulting in a very impressive smokescreen, followed very shortly after by the turbo disintegrating and debris ending up blowing a hole in 2 of the cylinder ... leading to ... yet more smoke and oil everywhere....oh and a long wait for a tow truck ride home at 2 am

Agree with the turbo failure... I had the misfortune to experience it with a Mitsi Shogun ... Turbo failed resulting in a very impressive smokescreen, followed very shortly after by the turbo disintegrating and debris ending up blowing a hole in 2 of the cylinder ... leading to ... yet more smoke and oil everywhere....oh and a long wait for a tow truck ride home at 2 am

Had the same problem with my Volvo, replaced the Turbo, no problems since
BAZZER1:thumb:

Had the same problem with my Volvo, replaced the Turbo, no problems since
BAZZER1:thumb:

I wasn't quite so lucky .... replaced the engine..only to have the Head gasket and head go on the "new engine" ...:fail replaced the head and then replaced the car .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom