An hour to save your life.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
Anyone been watching this?

On currently is the second series and the first episode, one case they featured is of a 26 year old German woman who was on a bicycle and I presume was positioned on the inside of a big tipper lorry, which crushed her pelvic area as it turned left.

She was basically bleeding to death and they tried CPR amongst other things.

Normally, they said life would be pronounced extinct after trying what they had but instead, they opened up the chest cavity and squashed the Aorta and refilled the missing blood creating a "mini circulation" and you could see the heart start pumping again.

All of this on a London street in daylight.

Even they said five years ago this would have been unthinkable but they have a go now... Better than the alternative I guess.

Absolutely astonishing and it makes me feel utterly humble!

I watched HEMS doctors open up the chest cavity for this many times as well as many other mind boggling but marvellous things over the years, sometimes successfully, sometimes not. Up close and personal, it always evokes feelings, sometimes good, sometimes bad.

Which is why the black humour of my previous profession is so important…with that in mind, to those who don't wear underwear, start doing so and to those who do, make sure it is clean.

"previous profession" - I need to know via pm please GVM and promise I won't tell anyone other than The Grauniad ;-0

I saw the programme a couple of weeks ago, absolutely heartbreaking, but at the same time a fascinating glimpse of the dedication to preserving life by some brilliant people. It certainly puts things into context.

Having recently had my life saved twice! Once through planned Cancer Surgery to remove the Cancer and then Post Op, where I had the pleasure of being able to hear the machines slowing down and the clinical staff working to save me. I wake up every single day and thank the people who dedicate their lives to saving others.

The casual slightly embarrassed manner in which the nurses, doctors, surgeons etc all respond when you thank them is an example in greatness that thankfully most will never experience. Boy would it change attitudes in many if they could for one second be on the receiving end of that care and compassion. Heroes is just not a big enough word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom