An open letter to the BBC

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Meldrew2, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X4 2.0d M-Sport & BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport (sorry, guys)
    [​IMG]

Go on........ sack me!

How dare the BBC dismiss Carol Thatcher for a slip of the tongue remark she made in a private conversation? Equally, how dare the BBC continue to employ Jonathon Ross after he deliberately made far more offensive remarks on air?

As a child of the 60’s, to me a Golliwog is the cuddly toy that sat on the chair in my bedroom, and it is the china figurines that I collected, distinguished by their curly hair and large eyes… as a child I saw no racial overtones. Whilst the word may have acquired other connotations in modern society, the fact remains that it was once a word used in everyday conversation.

On the other hand, Ross’s comments to Andrew Sachs could never be anything other than offensive. “I’ve had your daughter” has never been used in polite conversation in any age. To add further incredulity to an already ridiculous situation, the BBC broadcast Ross’s foul tirade.

Clearly the reason behind the decision to forgive Ross is his audience figures - so the days when the BBC had principles are sadly over.

2. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Enthusiast

My mum collected Golliwogs and I've known them as that since then. I remember soaking the jam jars and sending then off.

Also not that long ago when a teenager carried a radio round it was known as a wogbox? no harm or offence taken?

It does seem a little daft and ott,

Golliwog

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golliwog

wog box

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boombox

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  3. crockers

crockers MB Enthusiast

Car:
    XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
    But then we also had a colour brown pre-fixed with the offensive N word......should that have remained?

I think the term gollywog is insensitive in today's climate - and in many cases (RObinsons) it has been replaced with the term Golly.

I too don't think Carol Thatcher should have been sacked .... But Jonathan Woss....I find him well past his sell by date.

4. Classic C200

Classic C200 New Member

Car:
    Mercedes C200 Classic 2.0lt Auto
    "Meldrew 2"

Totally agree with you!

BBC now have various standards!

Without me being racist, Why is there a "BBC Asian Network"

Surely that alone is racist!

What is wrong with just the normal BBC Channels

Why Discriminate between races and religions?

Or am I missing something as well..........................

Jonathan Ross is a waste of space and his statement was broadcast nationwide!

I personally can't stand Russell Brand or whatever his name is, but at least he had the balls to resign his position with the BBC.

But Carol Thatchers remarks were "made in a private conversation" - Freedom of speech springs to mind!

And how the hell does the BBC know for definite what was said in a "Private Conversation", where they bugging her!

This country beggars belief!

5. NW_Merc

NW_Merc Banned

Car:
    1994 Mercedes C180 classic
    I think political correctness has gone totally barmy. Though I am in favour of equality and thoroughly against prejudice, I do feel that people do go OTT when certain groups use certain words. The 'N' word is acceptable for use by black people no matter how derogatory when they speak to their peers, but if a caucasian was to use this word it is deemed racist. I have heard Asian lads of about 18 in Manchester refer to their friends using the 'P' word, yet if someone who was not of Asian decent would use it, again it would be deemed offensive.

I do believe that a private conversation is not grounds to sack someone as it is not in the public domain. A private conversation is just that......... (I am of Indian decent before anyone asks :D)

6. ecossebev

ecossebev Active Member

Car:
    Mercedes Benz 230 TE
    Find it hard to believe over 2,000 people have complained, yet there were only 12 people in the room when the incident occured. We still don't know in what context the word was used, all we have been told is that she used it to 'describe' the tennis player. Do any of the 2,000 people who complained know how the word was used.....? I'm willing put next month's wages on it they don't.

7. ringway

ringway MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi A6 Avant 3.0 Bi TDI - A Fantastic Car! Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely! Also R32 & S4.

8. rf065

rf065 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
    What I fail to understand is why it even made the press, considering it was a remark made in the green room after the show & not recorded.

How come it ended in the media, there was no need to publicise the whole episode unless the BBC are using it for some other reason perhaps?

Russ

9. Darrell

Darrell MB Enthusiast

Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
    Car:
    A Jaaaaag, 2016 Dacia Duster and a 2004 Carrera (996)
    Carrying on from Classic C200's post, but with a twist

There is the M.O.B.O awards, it means the Music Of Black Origin awards. I wonder how long it would take the police to knock at my door when I host the M.O.W.O awards, the Music Of White Origin Awards. About 30 seconds me-thinks.

I am not a racist in any sense of the word but I do hate double standards, hypocrisy and the nanny state and P.C ideals being rammed down your neck.
    I had enough and got away from it by moving abroad, unfortunately Greece is a crazy place to be at the moment but we are still pretty much un-touched on the small islands.

I have been listening to the BBC news today regarding the UK power stations and the influx of foreign workers. Imagine that going on in France or Greece.

10. Stratman

Stratman MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
    Were these people offended when she made the comment or only after some tittle-tattle went running to the press?

As I understand it, she compared the hairstyle of a tennis player to the hairstyle of a golliwog. That seems to have been turned into comparing the player herself to a golliwog. Perhaps to better suit someone's agenda?

11. bernardgorman1

bernardgorman1 Member

Stay on topic!

I've just logged in to put up a query about a problem with my car.

I thought this was supposed to be a forum for Mercedes related stuff, not a soap box for people to have a rant about Carol Thatcher, the BBC, Ross, Brand etc. Write to the national newspapers if you want to air your feelings.

Is the moderator for this web-site fast asleep?

b

12. Dryce

Dryce MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Look up the terms 'General' and 'Off Topic'.:p

13. Classic C200

Classic C200 New Member

Car:
    Thats why its posted in Off Topic!

14. rf065

rf065 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
    Don't pick the Off Topic forum then!

Russ

15. Mudster

Mudster MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 A150 SE Classic, 2007 Saab 9-3 Sportwagon
    The Jonathon Ross remarks were made off air, recorded and then replayed on air at a later date. A producer of the BBC deemed it fit for broadcast. This is a very different set of circumstances than having the conversation live on air. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there were two complaints by listeners that actually heard the program, there was then a further 30,000 complaints from Daily Mail readers that didn't hear the program.

Carol Thatcher's remarks were made in private, a BBC employee then felt the comments were offensive enough they should have been reported (I've heard it suggested it was Adrian Chiles that made the complaint - requires some substantiation though).

Neither of these should have ever reached public domain, there is a culture of transparency in this country that is entirely destructive....that very transparency was largely responsible for the Northern Rock nonsence in a sligthly differnt way.

Washing dirty laundry in public, that's what it is. Listening to all this faux horror is more sickening than the comments themselves.....

16. Classic C200

Classic C200 New Member

Car:
  17. Gollom

Gollom MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E220CDi AvantGarde, NTG 2.5 with Linguatronic
    Maybe when you have spent a bit of time here you will realise it is a community with an emphasis on Mercedes related information (and note that you do not have to pay anything here). There are other forums that only talk about cars and that is fine as it is their choice - the choice here is to broaden the topics. I hope that you will stay around and positively contribute

:)

18. andy_k

andy_k MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Alfa GTV 3.0
    who cares?

Carol Thatcher was a crap presenter - surely that's enough of an excuse to sack her?

Thatcher or Ross? They sacked the right one (IMHO) although it's marginal

19. coupe deville

coupe deville Active Member

Car:
    93 E320 coupe sportline facelift
    here's carol with the twins

Attached Files:

20. markymark1

markymark1 Active Member

Car:
    Mercedes C230 1997
    If HM can sell them at Buck Palace according to the press (The Sun) whats all the fuss about?

Tags: