An SL63 without a carbon fibre boot lid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PIMM

Car
SL63
Slightly esoteric question here folks. Just bought a beautiful 2019 SL63. I thought that they all came with Carbon Fibre boot lids... except that mine appears to be painted on the interior and is therefore metal. Does anyone know if any were painted or were any supplied WITHOUT carbon fibre boot lids? The car is apparently accident free and has only 4900miles on the clock so it is unlikely to have been replaced bit you never know. Hence my query.

Slightly esoteric question here folks. Just bought a beautiful 2019 SL63. I thought that they all came with Carbon Fibre boot lids... except that mine appears to be painted on the interior and is therefore metal. Does anyone know if any were Whatvpainted or were any supplied WITHOUT carbon fibre boot lids? The car is apparently accident free and has only 4900miles on the clock so it is unlikely to have been replaced bit you never know. Hence my query.
What makes you think it should have a carbon fibre boot lid?

They all have them - it was an MB weight saving measure. You can see the exposed material on the underside in these pictures.

Attachments

• 403508.jpeg
    403508.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 23
  • mercedes-amg-sl-63-boot-space.jpeg
    mercedes-amg-sl-63-boot-space.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 23
  • mercedes-benz-sl63-amg-review-2013_67.jpeg
    mercedes-benz-sl63-amg-review-2013_67.jpeg
    676.5 KB · Views: 23
Yep all SL63s have them. It would seem like it's been replaced by a non AMG lid...?

If it has been changed, there is no accident history, no service reports - no Mercedes records of a change at all.

Last edited:
The detailer I use had a brand new delivered to his unit straight off the boat for full detal ,ceramic coat and PPF before the owner used it
He dreaded telling the owner that the rear end had been repaired and painted ,no mention from MB .he rejected the car instantly 😒 but it took quite awhile to sort out

Offer a fridge magnet 🧲 on the underside to see if it sticks? If it doesn't stick, then it's safe to say it's CF which has been painted 👍

The challenge is that I am supposed to take delivery of the car tomorrow and am trying to avoid having to send it back. I think that the CF is textured... it would show through paint. Is the top surface of the Boot lid, steel, or is the whole boot lid CF?

Looks like it comes with either CF or metal looking at the replacement part's

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231005_011709_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231005_011709_Chrome.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20231005_011727_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231005_011727_Chrome.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 12
I saw that.. you can see why I am concerned. The original was CF. SURELY MB would not have replaced the lid without informing the buyer. It could only have been a buyer repair. This might be a "walk away."

The structure is CF where as the outer skin is Aluminium I believe.

Check my video here at 4:41 where I show you the Carbon Fibre weave:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks KillerHERTZ - I have actually watch your vid on YouTube. Good stuff! I have seen the weave in the flesh on another car. It is great!

Slightly esoteric question here folks. Just bought a beautiful 2019 SL63. I thought that they all came with Carbon Fibre boot lids... except that mine appears to be painted on the interior and is therefore metal. Does anyone know if any were painted or were any supplied WITHOUT carbon fibre boot lids? The car is apparently accident free and has only 4900miles on the clock so it is unlikely to have been replaced bit you never know. Hence my query.

Our 2016 SL63 is carbon fibre if that helps. Regards, P.

Thanks. A very quick question. Is the finish smooth to the touch so that if painted, no texture would be seen?

My 2019 SL63 is visible carbon fibre

kc

Thanks KC. Is the texture completely smooth. I.e., if it were painted, would the carbon fibre be undetectable? Except by magnet etc...

I can get you some photos tomorrow morning, I am out all day today. I cannot see any reason why the inside of the boot lid would be sprayed body colour anyway. It would have to be stripped of all the fittings so not financially viable

kc

For oem CF exterior parts such as bootlid spoiler, door mirror cover, they are perfectly smooth coated with clear coat. So you cannot see the wavey weave texture due to top clear coat to protect it from elements.

Looking at the video, looks like the underside (frame) is dry carbon ? Hope some more close up photos should confirm. My guess is its dry carbon 👍

Stupid question, but is your car a UK model?
Possibly cars manufactured for other countries do not have the carbon boot as standard. Personally I would reject the car (sad as that may be) as you will never be happy with that nagging at the back of your mind
kc

Thanks for the responses guys. The issue is resolved. The dealer confirmed with MB that the late 2019 SL63s were not supplied with a CF boot lid. One only has to imagine that this was a money saving measure as not many of the were selling by then. Personally my mind is at rest because I now know that the car has not has a secret repair. IMHO, having a metal boot lid has the huge advantage of costing a fraction of the original if it comes to a repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom