An unmarked cop got me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is the speed limit only 50 in Germany?

towing it is...unless you take the car/caravan for a TUV when it can be upgraded to 60 but only if the outfit meets certain parameters. It's why you see some German c/vans with 100(K) stickers on the roof.

Reckoning that the authorities fixate on speed and drink because the other aspects (while equally if not more valid) would require a landshift change in the attitudes of the population of our great nation....

A good point but I would take it further in that these phenomena are "Quantifiable" using modern technology and thus admissible in court as evidence of a driver offence. Unfortunately modern science has not yet given us the remote sensing "nutter meter":rolleyes: with which to legally prosecute drivers who have temporarily :doh: or permanently :eek: lost the mental control to be safely in control of a vehicle.:(

Generally if you take something at which you are good at and then try and improve the incremental improvements are smaller than trying to improve something at which you are not very good!

We are very good at killing young drivers thats the sobering bit, our roads are the safest in terms of fatalities but not in terms of injuries.

To put it bluntly we are S*ite at Road Saety in this country we have one of the the highest death rates of under 25 year old drivers and cyclists in the Western world

Now tell me how good we are again, you know what they say, theres lies, damn lies and statistics

Didn't head to Carlisle tonight due to the adverse weather conditions making driving through Dumfries and Galloway a big no no. I shall go tomorrow when the weather is fairer.

I shall report later about my thoughts and views on the licence surrender.

Saw a tv programme recently in Germany stating police in Germany are quite keen to impose a national limit (130kph I believe) because of the behaviour of a small minority of very aggressive drivers who the police assert are responsible for a disproportionate number of serious accidents.
That's the same sort of muddle-headed "safety" thinking that's prevalent in the UK. We have an identifiable problem (aggressive drivers who drive dangerously), for which we have adequate legal provision to take sanctions against yet we need a new solution that involves (you guessed it!) a lower blanket speed limit that screws up the situation for the majority who drive briskly but with adequate consideration for the safety of others. And I thought the Germans had a reputation for the clear application of logical problem solving :doh:
I’ve driven in Germany for about 20 years and there are more motorway limits than there used to be, and the effect is interesting. When there were fewer limits nearly everyone obeyed them, now there are many more there seems to me to be a trend to ignore them completely, or to exceed them by 20kph or so.
I've noticed this in Germany too. 10 years ago it was very rare to see people ignoring speed limits anywhere, yet this year I noticed a proliferation of reduced limits all over the place and a general disregard for not only those lower limits but also the 100kph limit on the open single-carriageway roads out of town that would previously have been rigorously adhered to. Maybe there's a lesson there? :rolleyes:

So to sum up.

We have a WPC Traffic Officer who has pursued and stopped young Steve.

All in all a turnaround time of 30 minutes, say, and the running of a high-powered vehicle.

For £60 revenue ?

< ducks, dons hard hat and hides :) >

I won't have been her only "trick" that night :D

Reckon that Volvo makes good money - with all the room in the back and all that.....

Unlucky one son.........:D

Seems you have touched a nerve with some.........:bannana:

To put it bluntly we are S*ite at Road Saety in this country we have one of the the highest death rates of under 25 year old drivers and cyclists in the Western world.
But is that a reflection on our standards of road safety - or is this an aspect of British youth culture showing up in the accident statistics?

We are very good at killing young drivers thats the sobering bit, our roads are the safest in terms of fatalities but not in terms of injuries.

Discount me from that collective 'we' .If you want to take the collective rap for other people's stupidity that's your choice.

IMHO *they* are very good at killing themselves and other people.

I thought it very interesting to see that the number of deaths per billion vehicle miles was twice as high on German motorways as in Britain.

That is an amazingly large difference.

I cannot remember the figures but the braking distance at 100mph is a whole lot more than at 70.

To put it bluntly we are S*ite at Road Saety in this country we have one of the the highest death rates of under 25 year old drivers and cyclists in the Western world

Now tell me how good we are again, you know what they say, theres lies, damn lies and statistics

I think you'll find MORE people die and injured from Booze related than from road injuries.
An interesting 'statistic' would be to compare what is spent on road saftey in comparison to booze advertising.

An interesting 'statistic' would be to compare what is spent on road saftey in comparison to booze advertising.

So whats the comparison? I can't remember when I last saw a booze advert, but I can tell you every road safety sign I go past each day not to mention speed cameras too.

I am legally allowed to drink, and according to statisitcs I will live longer than those that are teetotal. Next there will be a ban on advertising kids lollipops for giving them too much of a sugar boost!

We should ban advertising everything just in case someone manages to take it to excess.

For those who live and work (and drive) in the Glasgow area.;) Spotted on the M8 near J10 yesterday. A mid-blue Ford Focus unmarked with hidden blues pulled someone over and had them in the back seat. A Ford Focus:eek:. Whatever next?

A black Passat estate operates out on the M4 near Heathrow. It is very discreet, looks like a posh mini-cab.

As for ST -- while he may have got this ticket when the motorway was free from traffic, he clearly has travelled at these kind of speeds when other people ARE driving.

I just don't see how travelling at 30mph-odd more than another road user can be deemed safe. Even if YOU are a great driver, the differential is just too great.

As for insurance - mine didn't go up when I got a speeding ticket -- 36mph in a 30mph. It is just so common now for people to get caught driving over the speed limit.
One friend actually said he thought premimums come down the nearer to 12 points you are -- on the basis you will be driving like a nun, with the pope in the back seat.
Wishful thinking??

As for insurance - mine didn't go up when I got a speeding ticket -- 36mph in a 30mph. It is just so common now for people to get caught driving over the speed limit.
One friend actually said he thought premimums come down the nearer to 12 points you are -- on the basis you will be driving like a nun, with the pope in the back seat.
Wishful thinking??

Massively wishful... I got my third SP50 this year pushing me up to 9 points and my insurer increased my renewal by £250 on a £500 premium. They tend not to load for the first SP50 and 3 points but then take exception to subsequent ones. In fairness I went elsewhere and got closer to last year's figure but many insurers wouldn't offer me cover.

But is that a reflection on our standards of road safety - or is this an aspect of British youth culture showing up in the accident statistics?

Its a reflection on our standards of road safety and driver attitude IMHO

Discount me from that collective 'we' .If you want to take the collective rap for other people's stupidity that's your choice.

IMHO *they* are very good at killing themselves and other people.

We means the UK but I suppose as Scotland now considers itself independent you can be excused :D

If you think they are good at killing themselves then does that not prove we have got something wrong in this country? The death rates in the UK are far higher than the USA and Australia for under 25's where strict rules are enforced on under 25's

I take the rap because I try to educate people in safe driving, if more people took advanced lessons or even visited the RPU in Strathclyde like we did an saw the road safety presentations they daren't show on TV their perception of what is right and wrong would change at an early age

Yes I take the rap but at least I as have some others have got up off our backsides and given out time free of charge to try and protect and educate our young drivers, who just to set the record straight are not all stupid, there are some very competent ones out there, a lot of idiots I agree but dont tar them all with the same brush :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom