...And I thought the 2012 M Class looked dodgy...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

englishdas

Car
57 E200 Kompressor
I don't think Honda are giving our M Class anything to panic about:

2012-Honda-CR-V-Concept-11.jpg

Remind you of the winner of 'The 50 Worst Cars of all time?

pontiac-aztek-parts.jpg

I think I prefer the pontiac!

That is truly horrible! :eek:

Looks good to me -if you change the silly big wheels from Blackpool to something more off-road. Most reliable SUV at the moment and has a big following. Bit short of legroom but maybe the new one addresses that. Sloping windows look a bit awkward at the back -so does the current one but still sells like hot cakes.

Shame Mercedes design department forgot (as they so often do) that they needed a RHD version of the GLK. If you add up the X1, X3, Honda, VW, Nissan, Toyota, Volvo SC60 and others in the smaller SUV market it is very big.

Shame Mercedes design department forgot (as they so often do) that they needed a RHD version of the GLK.

I relaise that that is somewhat tonque-in-cheek but, whatever the reason, they didn't just forget.

I reckon the problem is that GLK would be too expensive here, and would end up too near ML.

In the US, BMW was hardly selling any of the old X3's as people going to the showrooms to buy them ended up with X5 which . So they increased the size of X5 and made space for X3. But MB already had a big SUV - the GL - so they can't really increase ML's size.

More generally, it is incredible to look at how many models MB offers - I wonder if they have more than any other manufacturer?

I reckon the problem is that GLK would be too expensive here, and would end up too near ML.

Why should it end up any nearer the ML in price than it does in Europe where it sells well? And the new X3 here and in America is selling really well.

Oh well. We have a B class 4x4 on the way.

Why should it end up any nearer the ML in price than it does in Europe where it sells well?

I just looked at the pricing in Germany and there is a much bigger difference than I would have thought. Also interesting the ML250CDi is already listed in Germany, but not here.

GLK250CDI 4Matic auto is €44K and the same in M Class is €55K. Makes the UK seem cheap!

I think it looks good too, quite mean and aggressive.

I just looked at the pricing in Germany and there is a much bigger difference than I would have thought. Also interesting the ML250CDi is already listed in Germany, but not here.

GLK250CDI 4Matic auto is €44K and the same in M Class is €55K. Makes the UK seem cheap!

Car prices in the UK are absurdly cheap. The pound has dropped 25% so prices here should have risen by a third to earn the Germans the same number of Euros. But they have kept prices down no doubt due to the slowdown etc etc. But if the French and others notice and start buying here in large numbers (and legally they can order LHD anywhere in Europe) it will sadly have to end. Buy now and avoid disappointment!:)

But they have kept prices down no doubt due to the slowdown etc etc.

The buying/ownership model is different here. A lot of cars in the UK are sold on manufacturer finance so they make money on the car and on the finance.

People in the rest of Europe tend to keep cars far longer than we do, and used car prices are way higher. If prices were increased dramatically here then the same thing would happen in the UK and new car sales would be decimated.

Last edited:
The buying/ownership model is different here. A lot of cars in the UK are sold on manufacturer finance so they make money on the car and on the finance.

People in the rest of Europe tend to keep cars far longer than we do, and used car prices are way higher. If prices were increased dramatically here then the same thing would happen in the UK and new car sales would be decimated.
I doubt it. Over half of new car sales are company cars in some form or other and loads of the so-called private sales get the bills paid in mileage allowances.

On finance, you usually argue that it is subsidised to get us all changing every 3 years. Nobody makes money on some of the finance deals MB offer let alone on the 0% deals many others are offering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom