And it's "Goodnight from Him"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

artyman

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Kia E-Niro ex C 200 CDI Sport
Well my W204 C Class has been pensioned off in favour of a younger EV upstart, a Kia eNiro 4. The Mercedes is the longest that I have owned any car and I've spent many happy miles being cosseted in its comfort. However times and requirements change, so I would like to thank the members here for much of interest to read over these many years as I boldly strike out to explore strange new worlds, it's like a flipping starship with all the lights and gizmos. Thanks guys.

I had a Kia for 5 years. The chaps at the Kia owners forum are not half as friendly as this lot..... :D

There are at least several members here that don’t have MB cars, so no need to scamper off anywhere. Enjoy your Kia, they make pretty good cars.

Those are getting good reviews.

I take it you've seen Finland Tony on You Tube.
He rates it above the Jag EV he has just given back.

I do think an EV will be my next car, albeit not for a few years yet....

I had a Kia for 3 years, most abusive and appalling service ever from my garage.Never again for me, hopefully your dealer is a good one.

Good luck with the Niro EV and if you do decide to disappear from the forum for good.

That's on our future list of steeds to replace the Joke.

I hadn't realised before but you joined the day after me very nearly 10 years ago next month.

That's gone by a bit quick.

I've certainly found the one or two other forums I've tried a bit lacking...

Well my W204 C Class has been pensioned off in favour of a younger EV upstart, a Kia eNiro 4. The Mercedes is the longest that I have owned any car and I've spent many happy miles being cosseted in its comfort. However times and requirements change, so I would like to thank the members here for much of interest to read over these many years as I boldly strike out to explore strange new worlds, it's like a flipping starship with all the lights and gizmos. Thanks guys.
Good health to enjoy your new steed!

Keep checking in and let us know how you get on,

Well first attempt at using a Fast Charger they've just installed at the local Tesco didn't go to well, seem you need an App to make it work, not a great phone user and am only on PAYG, I need to 'get with it' so it's been sitting on the granny charger until half an hour ago and is now up to 54% which gives me 152 miles, since I'm not going anywhere much that should last me for a few weeks ! I still have a 551 page manual to absorb, as Captain Oates said " I may be a little while" :rolleyes:

Well I spent one and half hours the other day just sitting in the car and playing with the menus, still no idea what I'm doing, and with lockdown haven't really been anywhere apart from Tesco's where I tried out the free charger, worked fine until I got back, unloaded the shopping then went to unplug the cable, and it was locked, spent 20 minutes going through anything I could find to stop the charging. it seems you have 30 seconds from unlocking the car to removing the cable, before it locks again. Lesson learnt, still have to wade through this 551 page manual, not so much a learning curve but scaling the North Face of the Eiger with crampons and ropes! Still it does drive nicely ad the regen is amazing, you can drive with just the accelerator without the need for the brakes, and I'm only in ECO mode haven't tried Normal yet let alone sport!

Your early days EV journey is a familiar story to many, sadly. Many public chargers do require apps, but not all. The best of the "plug in any car here" chargers are Instavolt. No app needed, just tap a contactless card and go. The Tesco ones (and many shopping centre car parks) are Podpoint which does need an app. You plug it in, then "claim" the charge on the app within 15 minutes (eve if it's free to use). But these are often only 7Kw chargers, so although they are called fast, they are nowhere near as quick as the likes of Instavolt (usually 50Kw, and some more). But by far the best charger, if you have a driveway, is a dedicated charger on your own property. You will get 7Kw, and even with two EVs in the house we find we rarely need to charge anywhere else. And it's cheaper.

Unfortunately the EV world does tend to demand apps - but you can access both ZapMap and ABRP (A Better Route Planner) on a standard web browser, and they will show you where al the chargers are, what networks they are etc etc.

Hopefully you will find your way through all this fairly quickly, but if you have any general EV questions please feel free to drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for the offer of help, all just a bit of a new learning curve, I'm still trying to turn it off with a key that isn't there, and press my foot on a parking brake that is also missing !

You can't beat pulling into a garage forecourt once every 3 weeks or so and filling up with diesel in a few short minutes :)

No apps required.

Reactions: JHS
You can't beat pulling into a garage forecourt once every 3 weeks or so and filling up with diesel in a few short minutes :)

No apps required.
I can beat that - plug in on my own driveway, no app, no trip to fuel station, no waiting, and all the comforts of home...;):cool:

No apps required.
Yep, really miss that greasy diesel pump and the stench of penury.

I can beat that - plug in on my own driveway, no app, no trip to fuel station, no waiting, and all the comforts of home...;):cool:
When you think about it, just about everywhere has mains electricity so is a potential charging point. Same cannot be said for liquid hydrocarbons.

When you think about it, just about everywhere has mains electricity so is a potential charging point. Same cannot be said for liquid hydrocarbons.
The key word is 'accessible' mains electricity. It's not quite the same as asking to borrow a cup of sugar.

PS I shouldn't be here at all, no Mercedes lurking in the garage for over 18 months now:eek:

The key word is 'accessible' mains electricity. It's not quite the same as asking to borrow a cup of sugar.
'Can I just plug my EV into your mains supply while I'm here?'
Did I syphon fuel from your tanks before you went EV when I visited you?

Yep, could become an issue!
PS I shouldn't be here at all, no Mercedes lurking in the garage for over 18 months now:eek:
Sit down, you're not going anywhere. We need you here.

I can't see why you need to own a Merc to be a part of this forum anyway.

It's for Mercedes enthusiasts and you can be that and never own one I would have thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom