And the best British sports car of all time is... Vote Now.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
Ever argued about the relative merits of the Jaguar E-type, the Cobra, Aston Martin DB5 or MGB? Now's your chance to settle it, once and for all.

The full article is from The Telegraph. LINK.

Vote HERE.

What does the panel think?

Difficult one, but for its styling, performance and wide availability, the E type.

I narrowed it down to 3. Jaguar E type, Lotus Elan, Austin Healey 3000 all because of their links with motor sport. The jag because of its links with the Le Mans winning D type, the lotus Elan because here was a road car with ground breaking technology built by a Formula 1 team, and the Healey because of its rally success past and present.[trusty historic rally warhorse now] The AC cobra was ruled out [sorry Olly] because although the original formula AC Thames Ditton car was a 4.2 litre American V8 shoehorned in a rather ancient AC ACE ladder chassis the COBRA really only took off when Texan Caroll Shelby got his hands on it and virtually redesigned the car.:eek:

The winner has to be the E type ---seductive looks, ---definite links with a successful competition car design, but most of all accessibility true supercar performance at a price at the time many [well off without being a millionaire] folks could afford.:thumb:

E Type, Elan, Austin Healey (Blue over white or was it white over blue)

"A panel of experts has shortlisted 15 cars covering what they claim are all of the great British marques.."

I hardly think so.

Why no pre-WW2 cars?

Does an MGB deserve to be on that list when an Invicta Low Chassis is not? How about an LG45 Rapide or an M45? Are they not as great as a frog Eye Sprite? Triumph Spitfire (shudder) in but not a single W.O. Bentley deserving of a mention?

More stuff from that well known journalist, Phil Space.

Why no pre-WW2 cars?

Does an MGB deserve to be on that list when an Invicta Low Chassis is not? .

Yep Blower Bentley would've got my vote!!:):)
Never liked MG's at all, possibly due to being a lifelong Triumph fanatic!!:p

It can't be an MGB.
I have owned one.

E-Type.

Its a given the E-Type, so shouldn't it be a poll for the 2nd best British car....

Last edited by a moderator:
E Type first, Aston Martin DB5 second... :)

It won't win but I've always had a soft spot for the TR6, ever since I got behind one coming off a roundabout just after I passed my test in 1985.

I was in my Mum's Nissan Micra with the windows down, he gave it a bootfull it sounded beautiful to my 18 yr old ears, always had a hankering for one since, closely followed by a TVR with the V8 engine. Just need to clear the garage, sell my daughter into slavery, then Bob's yer uncle no worries.:D

First I would say the Cobra but it has to be the 427, with the 7 litre V8, which I see as more American, so I will say E Type,never been a huge fan of the DB5 if I'm honest.

That's a poll for the automotive illiterate, no Riley Brooklands, no WO Bentley, no Marcos, no Allard K type, no Jaguar XKSS. it has a Lotus Elan but not the Elite or for that matter an Elise, no Sunbeam Tiger..........

TR6 - Accessible and fast (in its day), great noise, hairy chested - I'd have one.

Got the hairy chest just need the large collared shirt open to the navel with large gold medallion, oh and large bouffant wavy hairstyle.:D I'll struggle with the last one though:doh:

That's a poll for the automotive illiterate, no Riley Brooklands, no WO Bentley, no Marcos, no Allard K type, no Jaguar XKSS. it has a Lotus Elan but not the Elite or for that matter an Elise, no Sunbeam Tiger..........

Was the Jensen Interceptor English, I'm 90% sure it was, love the look of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom