...and the countdown has begun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lisa110rry

Car
1999 SLK Kompressor and a Honda CRV (the latter gone but not forgotten)
As I write we are nearly half way through March, and I've begun to think about changing the cars round and taxing the little green Merc. Had a bit of a worry a couple of weeks ago when it wouldn't start but after 24 hours gentle charging, it did start with a second or two of a noise that sounded like back in the day when little boys clipped playing cards to the spokes of their bikes (any idea what that might have been?).

She is still under MOT until May due to being late out last year as I couldn't drive after a foot op, so that can wait a bit. The insurance is still valid of course. The 'designer scarves', matching, for my little dog and me, are folded in the glove box.

So long as I remember to do the 'tax shuffle' on 31 March/1 April, we shall once again be showing our Designo Electric Green credentials in Lancashire and further afield and encouraging groans and cheers among lovers and haters of the colour!

Roll on 1st April!

The noise would have been oil pressure related. Likely the variable valve timing gear filling back up with oil
Usually lasts a few seconds

Many thanks WG BM, and thanks also to you James, you have a good time at Santa Pod! (ps the pc phrase is PA, no one has a secretary these days, though many should, an honourable profession!)

Last edited:
Given the description of the noise, I would hazard that the starter motor pinion was brushing against the starter ring but failing to engage due to a weak battery failing to provide sufficient oomph to drive the pinion down the shaft far enough.

prprandall51 said:
Given the description of the noise, I would hazard that the starter motor pinion was brushing against the starter ring but failing to engage due to a weak battery failing to provide sufficient oomph to drive the pinion down the shaft far enough.
it's common problem wen you get old!;)

I am surely not the only one that needs to see the matching scarves.......pooch pic please.

I can understand the long wait I too as its my first full yea,r of Sl ownership wicker basket ready for days out plus dog with flappy ears

That can be arranged (I think). Now how do I attach a picture? (The scarf is covering a seat belt harness.). And I also have a wicker basket at the ready, not that it fits in the car! Need to get one of those things that fits on the boot...

Attachments

• image-3281801329.jpg
    image-3281801329.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 63
Great pic!! Now let's see the pooch!! :) ;)

dde1bdde1bdde1b very funny Ted! As you can see she loves it. We are often greeted with squeals of delight from 5 year old girls as we drive sedately down Southport's Lord Street. We do not go on motorways, as my greatest concern is what would happen if the airbag went off. dde30 Really looking forward to seeing if everything is running properly, might have to just take her ( the car, not the dog ) down the drive to check the roof mechanism.

Oops, 'emoticons' seem not to work. Be assured that was three smiley faces at the beginning of this message.

lisa110rry said:
dde1bdde1bdde1b very funny Ted! As you can see she loves it. We are often greeted with squeals of delight from 5 year old girls as we drive sedately down Southport's Lord Street. We do not go on motorways, as my greatest concern is what would happen if the airbag went off. dde30 Really looking forward to seeing if everything is running properly, might have to just take her ( the car, not the dog ) down the drive to check the roof mechanism. Oops, 'emoticons' seem not to work. Be assured that was three smiley faces at the beginning of this message.

I've been on motorways loads of times in my 27 years of driving, I haven't had the airbag go off once, am I doing something wrong?

Or…

"I left my SLK parked with the roof open. What bird did this?"

Sadly, there is no MB dog seat which automatically switches off the passenger air bag (unlike the baby seat which does), and in any case I probably couldn't afford it. Wish it could be switched off manually, then switched back on again when I have a human passenger. I know you're kidding, but she actually sits on a purpose made dog bucket seat cover in heavy canvas so as to protect the leather from her nails. It has a little pocket in front for lead and bags. If you see us give a hoot, it will almost certainly be us, never seen another in the UK in this original colour.

Love the car Love the Colour and Love the dog

I do jest but when my first airbag went off I was the noise of the explosion that shocked the hell out of me not the impact had the Vauxhall griffin imprinted on my head for weeks lol

Oh dear, that must have been embarrassing! I'm sure you would have preferred a three pointed star, lol. I've never had it happen, but I do love my former Hearing Dog who is very sensitive to sound. From what you say, the explosion would be enough to give her a stroke, and not the kind she usually gets at my hands! I work on the basis that if I stay off the motorway when she's with me, it greatly lessens the chance of that happening. I once drove from the Lancashire coast to near Derby avoiding motorways for that reason. It was a lovely day, the top was down and her nose was going 19 to the dozen. It was a good, if slow, trip.

The irony is that you're probably just as likely to get an airbag deployment on "normal" roads.

It is possible to get transponders separately - quite often you'll see them on eBay from owners who have extracted them from their MB seat to use with other child seats.

Really Doodle? Could you explain in words a lady of a certain age can understand how this works? Does this transponder need to be wired in the car? I'm all agog for more! Does it work like my door lock clicker?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom