And the What Car 2019 Car of the Year is ... an electric Kia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
I've never heard of the e-Niro before but it actually looks quite decent. 253 miles in real-world driving tests (282 mile official range), 0-62 in 7.8 secs (probably one or the other at any given time though :D). Pretty decent standard spec. and the usual 7 year / 100,000 mile warranty ...

Capture.JPG

Link: What Car?

Was looking into these a few weeks back. The Kia is quite a compelling offer in the electric vehicle field. It's the closest anyone has come to Tesla-like battery ranges without charging Tesla-like prices!

:(

I love the way they decide it's car of the year in January

As I understand it there's currently a £3.5k grant which brings the OTR price down to £33k. Still a lot of money, but seems a relative bargain compared to the competition.

I can remember when people laughed at Kia’s. I saw the future 10 years ago when I went to the states and was expecting a Chevy from Hertz, instead I was given the keys to a Hyundai mid size saloon, 200 bhp, sat nav etc etc. Came away after a week thinking this is a really good car and equal to anything the established car makers were making. I have owned a Kia ceed and my daughter has three Kia’s, 2 sportage and a ceed, all are great family cars.
Similar situation to cameras and motorbikes, first the japenise copied, then they improved, then they innovated. In the end they were better and the originals were put out of business.
Watch the Chinese, their cars and tech is getting better all the time it won’t be long before they have credible alternatives to the European makers.

In 1998 I drove a brand new Kia Shuma 1.6L Automatic (rental while abroad) and I thought at the time that this was easily the worst car I have ever driven.

Mrs MJ now has a Kia Soul II 1.6CRDi, it's unsophisticated but it's a cute car and very durable. It's also a pleasure to drive. I quite like it's utilitarian appeal and even drove it to Paris and back a couple of years ago (on a single tank). Not a bad car at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom