...and they were going to add a caravan to the mix...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
C'mon, you're never too old for a road trip.
Is Sarah really that old?? :eek: 😇 😇 😇

I like stories like that. They have probably been together for 70 years plus and never spent a day apart. :)
I bet he’s never had an accident in all his years driving. He’s probably caused hundreds but never had one himself. ;)

When I was a biker I learnt to spot them from afar.
Honda Jazz or Hyundai Effluent.
He driving with WW2 military haircut, elephant ears and flat cap staring at the road 6 ft in front of his bumper.
She with a radioactive blue perm, either bolt upright and gritting her teeth or screaming into the driver's ear telling him to concentrate.

can you imagine them with a caravan on the back as well..........

Nice to see @Teego and @Mr B elaborating on the rather sad situation based on the small amount of information reported and adding a sprinkling of prejuidice and sarcasm.

There's probably a quite human story buried in there. I have seen apparently self-reliant couples in their late 80s suddenly have their lives fall to pieces. They appear to do quite well as a couple - behind the scenes one has declined but is being well supported and managed by the other - and people don't realise what is unfolding. Then the partner who was holding things together declines rapidly - possibly reaching a tipping point quite suddenly - and the other one who was kept in check and by them ends up taking the initiative - which leads to some sort of incident or crisis that brings things to a head.

If you get to your 90s you may not have a lot of close family or friends left in a position to look after you. Your own children - if there are any - may be in their 70s and have their own issues.

So 'buying a caravan' is reported? They had made the journey many times before? Well possibly - but more than likely an element confusion behind that explanation (and the motivation for the journey).

This is a classic North Yorkshire story if ever there was one!

.............. and flat cap ..........

These days we are fortunate to have a similar indicator for bad young drivers or middle aged men hiding their baldness........baseball cap....

Reactions: 219
Or for not driving when you are over 90!

Be interesting to have that conversation with you when (if) you reach that age and still think you can safely drive. My wife had to take the keys from her dad when he was 90. It was the last vestige of their independence and he was in tears about it.

My mother always said "getting old is not for sissies".

Nice to see @Teego and @Mr B elaborating on the rather sad situation based on the small amount of information reported and adding a sprinkling of prejuidice and sarcasm.

There's probably a quite human story buried in there. I have seen apparently self-reliant couples in their late 80s suddenly have their lives fall to pieces. They appear to do quite well as a couple - behind the scenes one has declined but is being well supported and managed by the other - and people don't realise what is unfolding. Then the partner who was holding things together declines rapidly - possibly reaching a tipping point quite suddenly - and the other one who was kept in check and by them ends up taking the initiative - which leads to some sort of incident or crisis that brings things to a head.

If you get to your 90s you may not have a lot of close family or friends left in a position to look after you. Your own children - if there are any - may be in their 70s and have their own issues.

So 'buying a caravan' is reported? They had made the journey many times before? Well possibly - but more than likely an element confusion behind that explanation (and the motivation for the journey).
They might have been thinking of buying a 'static' caravan , in which to spend their twilight years .

They might have been thinking of buying a 'static' caravan , in which to spend their twilight years .

I can only find one caravan dealer near Thirsk - Beechwood Leisure... and they sell touring caravans. In general, statics are normally sold by the caravan sites, not by dealers... so it is more likely that they were looking for a tourer.

They could well have driven relatively well, when on local journeys and when going to familiar places, and a combination of unfamiliar roads and sheer exhaustion may have seen the standard of driving fall to pieces.

There is absolutely no prejudice or sarcasm whatsoever directed at the elderly couple and I’m surprised you felt that way.

We know nothing about the couple except what has been reported in the press and clearly no suffering to the couple had taken place as the Police took them safety home rather than to the hospital.

Without proof your ‘hidden fictional human story’ is just that, fiction.

The Police commented "Obviously, we took them home... and strongly advised him to stop driving for his and everyone else's safety."

Are the Police also bring prejudice and sarcastic ? I think not. It’s a light hearted story and should be treated as such :)

I wonder if the couple involved would see it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom