And you thought cars were expensive to run ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Not having a good week.

On Saturday afternoon Mrs BTB found out that local scum had nicked all her riding tack (saddle, stirrups, riding hat, gloves, the lot - even the kids' riding hats) from the locked store room at the yard where her horse lives. Not covered by insurance as the building doesn't have an alarm system, will cost the thick end of £1,000 to replace and much of the stuff is not even available in the UK (her horse is an Icelandic, very rare in the UK but fairly common in Germany where she comes from).

Yesterday my 9 year old dog went in to the vets for an operation ... estimate £1,000! Turned out to be more serious, he needed another op. today and along with the blood tests he had last week the final bill was ... £2,500 :eek:

Although he's insured, the vet reckons they (Direct Line) won't pay out because the condition is likely to have been caused by a prostate problem that was treated just over a year ago, and there's a 12 month limit on any one illness/injury. We will definitely put a claim in though, with fingers firmly crossed.

At least Mrs BTB now thinks the AMG split-rims I put on the SL in July weren't such an extravagance after all!

Hi Bill,
Good luck with ALL your problems and if anyone says, 'Smile, things could get worse'

For crikeys sake do not smile for as sure apples are apples they will get worse.

Just to cheer you up,
For the last four days my wife has been giving our dog some tablets.

She does this out in the utility room and makes the dog sit, she opens his mouth and then places the pill right at the back of his throat. She then closes his mouth and gently strokes him until he swallows............. Hey presto job done.

This morning she moved his bed basket which is located in the kitchen and tucked in a corner of the kitchen, hidden from sight by the basket was a nice little pile of tablets. The dog had not been sick, he had deliberately spat these tablets out and they remained hidden until his bed was moved!! What a character :devil: :D

You can guess a lesson has been learnt and he now has to say RRRRRRR!

Good luck
Yours very sincerely
John

Sorry to hear your run of bad luck.

Hopefully things will sort themselfs out. Keep your chin up as there is always someone worse off than you.

her horse is an Icelandic, very rare in the UK but fairly common in Germany where she comes from

I believe the horses are a little shorter than normal and number some 250 thousand in native Iceland, I understand the Pinzgauer and Haflinger are popular breeds of horse too in Germany/Austria

if things happen in 3s whats next, is it worth making something happen to get it out of the way?

Cheers all.

Mrs BTB was very upset about the riding gear but we will get something sorted out. The horse is perfectly happy not to be ridden for a while!

Hoping the dog will make a full recovery, he's looking rather sorry for himself at the moment but not surprising after 2 ops in 2 days!

Hey ho.

PS if you count drunken neighbour driving into our van then that is three things so hopefully better to come!

Sorry to hear of this equine tale of expense. My wife (still getting used to that) is a vet and some of the stories I've heard about horse treatments make the eyes water.

It does seem like a lot of continuing expense for providing an off road experience with only one horse power. :)

It does seem like a lot of continuing expense for providing an off road experience with only one horse power. :)

Yup and I don't think the brakes or steering would pass an MOT, either!

Hi Bill,
Good luck with ALL your problems and if anyone says, 'Smile, things could get worse'

For crikeys sake do not smile for as sure apples are apples they will get worse.

Just to cheer you up,

She does this out in the utility room and makes the dog sit, she opens his mouth and then places the pill right at the back of his throat. She then closes his mouth and gently strokes him until he swallows............. Hey presto job done.

This morning she moved his bed basket which is located in the kitchen and tucked in a corner of the kitchen, hidden from sight by the basket was a nice little pile of tablets. The dog had not been sick, he had deliberately spat these tablets out and they remained hidden until his bed was moved!! What a character :devil: :D

Good luck
Yours very sincerely
John

John, perhaps you should have a look at this:

http://www.kefalonia-animal-trust.org/html/how_to_give_a_cat_a_pill.html

Having owned several cats myself, I can relate to that entirely..

Cheers,

Gaz

£2,500 !!!

you can buy them for £5 each brand new out of the local rags
Not much of a dog lover G.F.P:rolleyes:

Hi Bill,

Just to cheer you up,

Good luck
Yours very sincerely
John

Who reckons that was really John and not the dog?..... :devil:

Hope things look up Bill :)

We have just had a vets bill in for Emma's horse.

£5800

Insurance covers most of it.

Two weeks before her other horse had a vets bill of £1200

Bl00dy expensive animals.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Our pooch has only had a couple of brushes with the vets in his 9 1/2 years..

I'm expecting a painful bill at some point, but will probably not be a sore as he'll be.. We didn't take out insurance which I may regret in light of the above..

Ade

I think there is a straightforward economic analysis to be done here. If the 'final jab' costs say £40, the repair to the current animal can only be worth doing at a maximum of £40 + cost of replacement. Any more than that it is a write-off, beyond economic repair.

Here's an odd thing though; when I mention this line of reasoning at home in relation to our cat, I get funny looks from my wife and the children stop speaking to me:confused:

Cripes Bill - not having much luck lately!! I feel for you - particularly for your pooch. I know how important they are to you and like me I know you'd do your best for them whatever the cost. Finger's crossed they do pay out though.;)

And that's it now - stop being greedy and let someone else have some bad luck for a change.

Have been working Bill. Hope things have improved since the 14th and that the dog has recovered.

Lol @ the cat pill thread :D

Fortunately my cat is fairly well behaved when it comes to taking pills - hiding them in pepperoni normally ensures that it's not even noticed. However, to make up for this he will quite happily attack people (mostly women, curiously) for no reason whatsoever!

Thanks all. Tip (dog) is a lot happier now, the ops. seem to have been successful and he's having the stitches out tomorrow.

And ... got a cheque from the insurance company today for the dog's surgery! All that was deducted was an £80 excess - result :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom