And you thought MB servicing was dear...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

janner

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320 Turbo Technics
This quote is for servicing two boat engines. It includes an oil change, oil, fuel and air filters and adjusting the valve gaps. The engines are 300hp straight 6 diesels 6.6 litres each.

cat3116service_zps9b8ab4ba.jpg

Not the same scale, but bonkers in proportion, a few years ago my next door neighbour had his Suffolk Punch lawnmower serviced. When he went to pick it up he was presented with a bill for £250. At the time you could buy a new one for £330.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Cat ownership... there's also a vibrant international trade in Cat spare parts should you need any.

Although the parts cost what they cost (!), how many hours labour is that?

Ie - what is their hourly rate?

Still sounds an awful lot, but I understand most stuff marine related tends to be.

The labour cost is crazy. Can't be more than one day per engine, even allowing for a siesta!
I like the travel cost, £160, when both technician and boat are in the same city!
The boat is one I was considering buying but if that's what Cat charge for a service I think I'll pass. Only Cat have the special tools needed for the valves and pump timing so it's not like you can even shop around.

Back in 2006 I decided ( foolishly) to buy a 38 ft. Sport cruiser in Florida with twin 360 HP volvo's. what with monthly maintenance, storage, berth fees, insurance, fuel, servicing, cleaning etc I decided to sell before I went broke. Sold 3yrs later at half what I paid for it and only 75hrs. Would have been cheaper to rent. Although I must admit that doing 50 knots in the Gulf of Mexico is pretty exiting.

As they say the 2nd best day in your life is when you buy a boat
The best day is when you sell it.

Paul

Seems quite reasonable, considering the bill I saw for a oil change and clearances on a 308GT4 from the Monaco Ferrari dealer.

Not much change from €1k, and that was over 10 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom