Android 10 inch screen upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Myk82

Car
C Class Estate S205 C250 AMG Line Premium Plus
Afternoon all,

few weeks ago a I swapped the standard screen for a 10 inch android screen so I could get apple car play. All works great except 1 thing. The Wi-Fi.

now I am fairly tech savi but never really used android as an os ( I am a Mac,iOS and windows household). But maybe someone on here can help. Every time I start the car the wifi is disabled on the screen, I toggle it to on and join it to my iPhone hot spot, all works as expected. Turn off the car and then back on again. Wi-Fi is disabled again. Now I have been through and disabled all power saving options and also set it to auto enable Wi-Fi at start up, but this still fails.

It even does this with my home Wi-Fi access point ( located in the garage about 3 metersk from the car). The iPhone will connect to this access point but the car refuses to and it still starts as disabled.

I contacted road top on Amazon where I purchased it from but they are saying it’s an issue with my network settings I my iPhone which I refuse to believe as this would not disable the software.

also one last question on the screen display. I have the command menu set to open when you go to the car options, all works great but the screen is a 3/4 display with a 1/4 speedo on the right hand side. Is there any other displays for this rather than the speedo. Maybe something related to the trip computer or doors or seatbelts.

thanks.
mike.

That’s how the iPhone wifi hotspot works aiui. Every time you disconnect, you have to re-authenticate.
You might be able to tether with bluetooth.

That’s how the iPhone wifi hotspot works aiui. Every time you disconnect, you have to re-authenticate.
You might be able to tether with bluetooth.
Thanks ted. But how come this does not do it with a windows laptop

but that does not answer the question why the wifi keeps turning off on the android screen. The toggle is set to off after me setting it to on.

If you are using an iPhone for tethering then that is how it works (happy to be proved wrong). In terms of why the wifi is disabled after turn off, I can’t comment as I’m not familiar with your head unit.
I’ve managed to get round something similar by using a (£30) wifi hotspot with a £5-6 per month sim. My head unit will then reconnect every time without having to re-authenticate.
Bonus is that mrs Ted likes to watch videos and films on longer journeys, and I’ve set her ipad and phone to connect so it doesn’t use up her meagre data allowance.

Thanks again Ted

I currently get 250gb 5g data a month. So don’t want to pay for an extra sim (and transfer data) don’t use the car that much per week.

Mainly use car play so get all the apps I need in there. But I did like having YouTube on there today via WiFi when waiting for my son at judo. For those occasions I will just manually enable the WiFi toggle on the android screen.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Ted
I had one of these gave up on it in the end too many quirks, software update should resolve it but could end up bricking the unit so not recommended.

Command screen layout you need to go into the settings and select the correct screen size for your original screen, again what is displayed is part of the software O/S installed on your screen and can not be changed.

I then installed a car play add on box which uses the existing screen and allows android and apple car play without causing any connection issues.

Have a look at a group on FB for android units, lots of useful info on there with many members saying avoid these screens.

Thanks Rom1.

I have not found many issues with it yet. This is the only niggle I have but it was only apparent when I wanted to use YouTube :)

Yeah I have the screen set to the correct size and command displays as it should on the 8.4 format. But I wanted to remove the speedo (which is not accurate) from the display and replace it with something more useful.

I will have a look for the Facebook groups (thanks for the recommendation)

I originally bought the CarPlay only road top box. But could not get to grips with using the jog wheel to cycle through tracks. I previously came from a pioneer head unit with touch screen car play. Hence the reason for this android screen. Plus it make entering changes to Apple Maps a whole lot easier.

Did OP ever get this sorted?
I'm interested in adding Android Auto when I get the CLS, ideally with a larger screen.

Did OP ever get this sorted?
I'm interested in adding Android Auto when I get the CLS, ideally with a larger screen.
Hey.

You mean with the WiFi.

Yeah. As it mentions above. You can’t run WiFi on the headunit and car play together.

I have got around this by getting a 2nd ee sim
For £7 a month and I transfer data to it when i need. It also allows me to use the WiFi hotspot in the car for the kids iPads. Used it on a recent trip from Edinburgh to Windsor and back. Absolute life saver.

Mike.

Hey.

You mean with the WiFi.

Yeah. As it mentions above. You can’t run WiFi on the headunit and car play together.

I have got around this by getting a 2nd ee sim
For £7 a month and I transfer data to it when i need. It also allows me to use the WiFi hotspot in the car for the kids iPads. Used it on a recent trip from Edinburgh to Windsor and back. Absolute life saver.

Mike.
What screen are you using? Is it something like the Ugode seen everywhere, or one of its clones?
Did you get it installed or DIY?
I'm currently in two minds whether to get a screen 'upgrade,' or just a unit to allow Android Auto etc.. on the OEM screen in my car.

I have installed this:
MERCEDES BENZ E CLASS W207 W212 GPS BLUETOOTH WIFI ANDROID CARPLAY YOUTUBE NETFLIX, last week and the sound quality on the android side is not as good.
I have the HK system but upgraded the speakers to Morels some time ago. The sound via android can get very screechy with the bass distorted at higher volumes.
The sound via carplay is much better but still not as good as the factory sound. It just lacks depth.
Also the call quality via android & carplay is not as good as the factory setup - I'm hoping an external mic may solve this.

If anyone has any suggestions to help with the sound quality I'm all ears.
It does look good however, and having access to decent navigation and other apps has really updated the interior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom