Android auto

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Funkyboy

Car
E class
Hi all,

I've a 14 plate E class can Android auto be added and has anyone had it done

Thanks

You can add Android Auto & Apple CarPlay by installing an aftermarket Android tablet to replace your existing car entertainment system.

That’s exactly what I’m doing with my 2011 C Class. Got a 10.25inch Android screen ordered to replace the NTG 4.5 system that comes with the car.

This is an Internet shot but it’ll look a little similar, right hand drive of course.

Android-Tablet-for-Mercedes.jpg

As above.

Alternatively, you can add just the Apple CarPlay / Android Auto functionality to your existing Audio20 or COMAND unit - contact [email protected] with your VIN:

I thought that Comand UK were selling the IA unit? But I may be wrong.
It doesn't look like it.

IA make a big play on both the Apple Carplay AND Android Auto being wired and wireless, whereas Command confirm their Android Auto is wired only (Apple Carplay is wired and wireless with Command).

What does it do ?

It doesn't look like it.

IA make a big play on both the Apple Carplay AND Android Auto being wired and wireless, whereas Command confirm their Android Auto is wired only (Apple Carplay is wired and wireless with Command).
You’ve got to bear in mind that (I think) both Command and IA are marketing & selling almost the same boxes that come out of China.

It’s the same as the Android 10.25” screen I’ve ordered. They’re all manufactured and come from the same factory. Just that different distributors sell them for different prices and with their label/branding on the packaging.

I ordered my screen direct from AliExpress for £330 whereas some U.K. or European based sites may charge you over £500 for the exact same product.

The ‘Road Top’ store on AliExpress are selling a very similar looking wireless CarPlay & Android Auto box to the IA model, minus all the branding. £195 versus buying direct from IA for £515.

So anyone on here installed a wireless version of Android Auto that is not from IA?

Happy to acknowledge that IA and Command may be selling the same stuff as the China sellers, but UK support from a reputable company definitely sways me.

Put another way if another forum member is the guinea pig I'd happily jump on the AliExpress train!

So anyone on here installed a wireless version of Android Auto that is not from IA?

Happy to acknowledge that IA and Command may be selling the same stuff as the China sellers, but UK support from a reputable company definitely sways me.

Put another way if another forum member is the guinea pig I'd happily jump on the AliExpress train!
Give me a week or two.

Got my screen turning up either this week or next (I hope). Once it’s all fitted I’ll let you know how it all went.
89a34fc3c6.jpg.500x500.jpg

Give me a week or two.

Got my screen turning up either this week or next (I hope). Once it’s all fitted I’ll let you know how it all went.
89a34fc3c6.jpg.500x500.jpg
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out!

Couple of things though. You mentioned up thread that you're replacing NTG4.5? If yours is a 2011 surely it's NTG4.0? And secondly do you know if this unit advertises wireless Android Auto? Lots cover Wireless Carplay, not finding many that are wireless for Android Auto too.

A 2011 W204 will be the facelift model with NTG4.5. Also, the 10.25" Android unit does not replace the original NTG4.5 HU, only the screen.

I.e., it replaced the original screen with a unit that combines a new Android HU incorporated into a 10.25" screen.

So you can still use the old NTG4.5 in pass-through mode with the new screen.

BTW, both IA and Comand UK say that the unit they are selling was 'designed in the UK' (though it is not clear if it is also manufactured in the UK?), which is why I thought it might be the same unit. I can't say if this makes them superior to Apple CarPlay / Android Auto units designed and made in China though - I would assume/hope it does....

As for the 10.25" unit... well it definitely has more features and better functionality than COMAND, and it's a cheaper way of getting Apple CarPlay / Android Auto than the IA and Comand UK units.

But the 'stuck-on' aftermarket screen is not to everyone's liking, and some will prefer the discreet IA / Comand UK unit that keeps the original MB look and feel.

So it's a matter of personal taste.

Here is a video of a U.K. user with the 10.25 inch screen ordered from AliExpress. Good video. W204 facelift, NTG4.5
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Presumably there is a risk of custom duties on aliexpress stuff so maybe not the price you think. Nevertheless should still end up less than buying via resellers

Presumably there is a risk of custom duties on aliexpress stuff so maybe not the price you think. Nevertheless should still end up less than buying via resellers
My 10.25 Android screen unit turned up today from AliExpress. Big box. DHL delivery. Fortunately no customs duties to pay, although I had braced myself just in case.

Now to try and get it fitted over the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom