Android Headunits - W219/W211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

moodi

Car
CLS55
Has anyone got any recommendations on specific models that are 'good' ones to go for? Likewise any to avoid?

Debating whether to go for a android unit specifically for a W219/W211 or get a double din adapter and any double din unit from a reputable brand with half decent android support (bluetooth ticks this for nearly all of them), DAB, etc.

Additional Qs:

- Turn on time. Slight concern as the lowest I have found so far is circa 10 seconds from a cold boot (first time starting the car). Not quite OEM-like turn key and go.
- How do they integrate with the steering controls (if at all)
- How cheap/premium do they 'feel'?

Advice and previous experiences welcome!

Has anyone got any recommendations on specific models that are 'good' ones to go for? Likewise any to avoid?

Debating whether to go for a android unit specifically for a W219/W211 or get a double din adapter and any double din unit from a reputable brand with half decent android support (bluetooth ticks this for nearly all of them), DAB, etc.

Additional Qs:

- Turn on time. Slight concern as the lowest I have found so far is circa 10 seconds from a cold boot (first time starting the car). Not quite OEM-like turn key and go.
- How do they integrate with the steering controls (if at all)
- How cheap/premium do they 'feel'?

Advice and previous experiences welcome!
I am also interested in this. I have read that they are compatible with steering wheel controls by adding another live to the loom but still looking into it. I am looking into a Atoto head unit not cheap but rated. Hope someone will give us the heads up. Ps think the wiring bit is for Bose amp

Chinese can serve well enough, there is plenty of write ups to read up on.
while they generally output fromtheir own amps they have pre amp outputs also that is wht you would need for the Harmon set up I imagine.
I've read more about DAB to put me off so far.

Hi yes mine is a 2002 clk 230 with Bose setup and command 2000 which I believe was out of date when put in. As for dab radio they have lost a lot since introduction of 5G they had to nick some of the band width off the dab signal but the Chinese set up still has the FM capability.

@moodi I would definitely look a bit deeper into what you currently have. I think there are issues when it comes to the 219 and replacement factory unit with aftermarket units, something to do with an optical loop or some other audio trickery which you have installed in the 219.

Have a look here:
I have had two head units from them, plus all the addons (DAB, DVB).
Probably not the cheapest, but a one stop shop.
I also used aftermarket amplifiers, and crossovers.
I replaced the door speakers with Fli all around, but I kept the original Bose sub.
I lost the steering controls, but I have not had chance to figure out a way of adapting them yet.
I also lost linguatronic, apart from voice dialling, that wasnt a biggie.
The new unit runs Android 9, and looks very much like a stock W220 unit.
I think they do either exact match head units, or very close for all modern Mercedes, and a lot of other brands.

Anyone tried the Denison unit from commandonline, quoted me 550, seems pricey

I've a 2005 W203 and recently swapped out the original head unit for a Erisin Android 9.0 Octa core with DAB+ box. Also added an iPhone charger in the glove box using a USB 1 into 2 lead. I've no technical knowledge so relied on Youtube and Haynes for all the info I needed to do the job myself.
The Erisin unit is great with touch screen and a whole host of apps which can be added to. I've used my phone to hotspot so the unit can use the web.
Only "complaint" is the the unit does have a cheap feel to it when compared to the original MB unit.
I'd like to put in the parcel shelf sub woofer but I'm a bit confused on the wiring for this so shall carry on digging - if anyone has any info on retro fitting one of these I'd be grateful.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Audio.jpg
    Audio.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 12
Were you tempted for an all-touchscreen version? Those have often appealed to me over the OEM unit but I haven't found anything that tells me android startup is quick as OEM nowadays.

Startup is instant. DAB is playing before the engine is started normally as it powers on as soon as the key is inserted.
This is quicker than COMAND (2.0) in my experience.

Start up is pretty instant. It does take longer if you turn the unit off before the ignition though as it re-boots it.
You can do everything on the touch screen which makes the buttons pretty redundant really.

Startup is instant. DAB is playing before the engine is started normally as it powers on as soon as the key is inserted.
This is quicker than COMAND (2.0) in my experience.

Ooh, tempting! Which exact headhunt do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom