Andy Murray.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But I do get amused when people don't accept that every so often we have produced the best in the sport (lewis) or one of the best (Andy Murray) and attempt to use some facts and figures to prove that they actually are not as good as their own competitors say they are.

I love F1 and have watched it since the late 70's when coverage was sporadic at best.

It's difficult these days to genuinely rate the quality of a driver as even the drivers themselves now admit that the racing is now 80% car 20% driver.

The team principals on the whole seem to vote Alonso the best constantly, yet if we were rate purely on results he's not even in the game.

Compare that to Andy Murray. How much of his game is down to his racket or the balls used? Not alot, it's pretty much 100% him.

90% of the drivers on an F1 grid would produce the results Lewis produces given the same car.

What people seem to like about him is the "racer", or to put it another way, "I'm going to pass you or we'll crash", a similar mentality to Senna. Entertaining yes, better than other drivers? I'm not so sure.

Personally I rate Prost better than either Senna or Lewis, he seemed to have a better grasp of when second place was sometimes better than first in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't really get the whole cheering someone on thing. In my mind, they're extremely fortunate, well paid individuals doing their jobs, jobs many people would love to have.What next? Cheering on the checkout girl at the supermarket? Getting flags with a picture of your favourite bin man? Maybe cheering for a police officer as they peruse a villain?

For the 2nd time in this thread:

Blimey. :eek:

marvellous point.

Supporting things is not your thing then. Still, when the girl down the checkout can play tennis professionally as good as these can, I shall ensure we remove our support from her. After all, I want a check out girl on the check out, not some darling tennis player, overpaid and underworked.

Anyhow, think positive. It's not all bad.

I just enjoy watching for the sake of watching. Pay doesn't really matter, ultimately we're talking about people doing what they love. Whether they win or lose, it won't change my world.

Sorry, I don't really get the whole cheering someone on thing. In my mind, they're extremely fortunate, well paid individuals doing their jobs, jobs many people would love to have.What next? Cheering on the checkout girl at the supermarket? Getting flags with a picture of your favourite bin man? Maybe cheering for a police officer as they peruse a villain?

What's the betting the girl on the check-out will be cheering on Andy and Lewis and not waiting to be patronised by you?

The team principals on the whole seem to vote Alonso the best constantly

I'm not being picky Alan but IF that's the case a much younger Lewis beat Fernando fair and square in 2007 in the same car.

As I've said, I'm not a Lewis lover or hater. Just like to give everyone a chance regardless of their ego. I do think people mark down his driver ability on the basis of his personality. For example if Jenson (a guy most people seem to like as a person (me included)) was doing the same job as Lewis in the Merc I think everyone would be singing his praises.

Just a thought.

For me F1 is a bit like a one of your naughty children, even though they step out of line and frustrate you, you'll always love them. I know F1 is often boring, predictable blah blah blah. But I honestly still love watching it and everything about it.

Can't wat for today. Should be a fair few battles right down the grid. I'm routing for young Max too.

Ant.

I just enjoy watching for the sake of watching. Pay doesn't really matter, ultimately we're talking about people doing what they love. Whether they win or lose, it won't change my world.

Actually I am confused now. I do not understand the point here and how that references the point you made earlier.

Yes, also confused at ChrisEdu conflicting posts. :dk:

lets set up a lewis Hamilton and Andy Murray appreciation thread.

Just to show our support of our British guys doing a good job shall we?

We can invite Welsh Footballists too.

How about the Brits showing true superhuman efforts in the Tour for a lot less money.

5 stage wins out of 8, Yellow jersey, White jersey and Green jersey. Dominating World cycling

How about the Brits showing true superhuman efforts in the Tour for a lot less money.

5 stage wins out of 8, Yellow jersey, White jersey and Green jersey. Dominating World cycling

Yep. Another great shout. :thumb:

Yes very very commendable...but why does money matter? Anyway are the likes of Froome etc poor?

Cycling salaries: How much do professional cyclists earn? | Cycling News | Sky Sports

I was comparing the money earned by Murray and Hamilton for their efforts to the money earned by cycling round France for 3 weeks.

Didn't suggest Froome etc were poor just that they have to work a lot harder for their coppers.

Oh and by that I don't mean Hamilton and Murray don't work

Good point Renault12ts.

A good friend of mine recently commented on the irrelevance of what you do in life, as long as you do it to the best of your ability with pride.

So, no real difference in a great bricklayer or a great lawyer. Both doing their job perfectly albeit with quiet a difference in pay. Doesn't mean the lawyer is the better person because he earns more. Doesn't mean the bricklayer should be any better thought of because he does his job for less.

Ant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom