Anger at daytime running lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
I have noticed an alarming frequency of drivers that seem to dislike the LED DRL's on my smart car.

At least twice a week (in daylight) I get oncoming cars stick their high beams on as a reaction (I assume) to the factory fit DRL's. IPerhaps people dont realise that they are daylight running lights or something. :dk:

Has anyone else noticed this?

Sp!ke I had a SMART sat behind me on the M62 earlier this week. As we went uphill (in the 50 mph roadworks) his DRL's were very bright, to the point of me thinking he had main beam on. I am assuming his were factory fit.

I also see this on the latest Audi Q7's which look like main beam as the approach from behind.

I'm frequently dazzled by DRLs. Generally, they're too bright & IMHO, unnecessary anyway.

I've noticed a trend (usually amongst young drivers) to have front fog lights on all the time. In London this is just plain crazy & very annoying. I give them the full blast high beam.

Talked to one young ****wit a couple of weeks ago who has his front & rear fog lights on all the time, rain or shine, foggy or clear, "for safety". :doh::doh:

I do not like DRLs of any type......LED especially......but I expect they are here to stay so I will have to get used to them.

Mic

On the Yeti the (non-LED) DRLs are built into the foglight units, so they're on whenever the foglights are not - but to most people it would just look as though the foglights are on anyway. You can switch the DRLs off via the car's configuration menu, but I wonder whether insurance companies will start taking a view on motorists who have an accident having voluntarily decided not to use their factory-standard DRLs? I wouldn't put it past them...

I suspect when the grey suits in Brussels passed legislation on DRL's being mandatory they didn't foresee the ludicrously over-stylised, over-bright progeny that their beard-stroking would produce.

I'm sick and tired of being blinded by, halo's, boomerang's, L-shapes and their like. I switch them off in the Audi.

I hoped they would just be another short lived fad, like huge rear tyres on FWD cars or "Bazza and Shazza" glarestrips, but it would seem that having finished doing absolutely everything else in the universe our masters in Brussels have got round to making them compulsory.

I find the rear LED brake lights on Volvo XC60 particularly annoying, they are blindingly bright if you are behind in traffic, and the high level of them means they are right I. Your sight line.

I actually think DRL's are a good idea, but they have been taken too far on many cars.

Did DRLs not originate in Sweden may years ago.
I think it was a good idea in response to very short days and very long winters.

But not needed for Southern Europe...

Did DRLs not originate in Sweden may years ago.
I think it was a good idea in response to very short days and very long winters.

But not needed for Southern Europe...

Yes, a great many years ago. My SAAB 900S Turbo had them...

...when?

1984!

Sp!ke I had a SMART sat behind me on the M62 earlier this week. As we went uphill (in the 50 mph roadworks) his DRL's were very bright, to the point of me thinking he had main beam on. I am assuming his were factory fit.

I also see this on the latest Audi Q7's which look like main beam as the approach from behind.

The DRL's on a Smart are in place of front fog lights so if you thought they were main beams, maybe you were right as the mainbeams are much higher.

I get the impression that people think mine are foglights and flash me because they think I'm one of those twits that drive with foglights on all the time. :doh:

I get that a fair bit with the 211 - people seem to mistake Karl's LED sidelights for main beam in the inner lights.

I also used to get it a lot with my old Ibiza Cupra - it had (rare) factory Xenons on which the light configuration was reversed so that the dipped beam was where main beam was on the normal Ibiza clusters.

Never been dazzled by DRLs
Never been dazzled by foglights on in the day.

Sorry guys.

DRLs don't bother me. Perhaps it's because I don't get out enough at night when they may look a bit bright. But hang on, I'm sure my DRLs turn off when the other lights come on, as presumably do all other cars fitted with them. Why else would they be called DAYTIME Running Lights? So what does it matter if they're on during bright daylight hours? Do they really dazzle? Or is it just annoying to those who feel that they have to try to determine what everyone else does? When I see people who have left their fog lights on when there's clearly no need for them I just mutter under my breath what silly sods they are. I don't flash my lights at them or gesticulate angrily. If I'm following a car with rear fogs on along a stretch of road where I can't pass, I keep well back so they don't affect my vision. Not so easy when they're the ones sitting on my tail, but resolved by temporarily moving mirrors until they're no longer behind. But TBH it happens so rarely I don't let it bother me. Chilax!

...when?

1984!
I had one of those too.
people used to flash you out of kindness thinking you may drain your battery.

actually it was a fantastic car.
I have never bought a car since that was any better.

Last edited:
I think the rot started with Volvo's, didn't Jasper Carrott include it it in one of his routines.

So people notice your car ......

... wasn't that the whole idea of DRLs ?

I hate them... They are really annoying, especially when they are coming at you the opposite way on a single carriageway road.

...when?

1984!

Not to mention the 2** series Volvos which had them , IIRC , in the late 70s .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom