Angle Grinding Rust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Once the weather improves I think I will have a go at removing my wings and using an Angle Grinder on them.

Ive never done this before, any tips?

Angle grinder remove material very quickly. Very very quickly.

Go for a rotary wire brush instead it is gentler on the good steel.

Angle grinders are great if you want to chop bits out of a panel ,but far too fierce to just remove surace rust unless you are carefull/experienced.If you outline what you want to do I am sure there will be some advice forthcoming from bodyshop guys.For removing rust I use either flap discs or rotary wire brush . DONT use too much pressure , and always use goggles , especially with rotary wire brush.

Last edited:
removeing rust will never work long term u need to cut it out or your just buying time not fixing the problem

removeing rust will never work long term u need to cut it out or your just buying time not fixing the problem

If you grind the rust off, and expose nothing but pure steel, why would it come back? Is it hiding in there somewhere?

If you grind the rust off, and expose nothing but pure steel, why would it come back? Is it hiding in there somewhere?
lol as u grind the metal u are putting heat into it this will cause moisture so the oxidation process will have already started also u will not get rid of it all as it will still be deep in the metal u just wont see it

Not Mercedes rust. It's special!
They only rust so bad as they were starting to use water based paint and dident quite get it right in the early years but then thats metal for u rust will always get it in the end!

I am going to look at mine when the weather warms up.
I am going to try to save the wings with some POR15.
Then Dinotrol everwhere.

Just hope there is some metal left to treat.

POR-15 is the dogs danglies.

Actually it is exactly what it says on the tin, Paint Over Rust. If the OP wants to paint his wing it is an extremely poor choice of product as it almost impossible to paint over with conventional automotive paints. If he just wants to leave it it also isn't great as it is highly susceptible to UV light. POR is fine if you want to make a rusty suspension arm look shiny without stripping it right down; it really shouldn’t be used on body panels.

To clean off the rust in a non violent controllable way get a 3M clean and strip disk, it'll remove the rust and paint without scarring the metal. Every angle grinder gouge you make needs to be filled again before painting, which equates to lots of unnecessary work.

It can be top coated using por-15 primer and then the top coat;)

But I agree it is no good on clean surfaces. It needs to adhere to the rust to seal it in from the atmosphere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom