Anne Hathaway's Cottage doing 60mph in 35 seconds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve_Perry

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS350CDI Grand Edition
Any one else enjoy Top Gear last night? Specifically JC's lowdown of the new S Class and his interior design 'make-over' (aka destruction) of an old S280.

S.

yeah. New S class looks lovely, but am I the only one that thinks the rear wheel arches look a little, well, out of place?

The 'quaint my ride' was hilarious though.

Off topic, but what are those old S Classes like to run? I'd have thought the 280 was a bit sluggish but are the 500's a practical buy?

Steve_Perry said:
Any one else enjoy Top Gear last night? Specifically JC's lowdown of the new S Class and his interior design 'make-over' (aka destruction) of an old S280.

S.
I thought it was great. Ive always suspected my car was bigger than my living room... :)

Last edited:
I missed it :eek: when is the re run?

Ian B Walker said:
I missed it :eek: when is the re run?
Top Gear

Tuesday 30, 19:00, BBC2 England

Richard Hammond pits the new Porsche against the Red Devils, and Jeremy Clarkson converts a Mercedes. Ewan McGregor is this week's Star in a Reasonably Priced Car.

S.

stats007 said:
Sorry - that W140 exercise was a complete waste of time and money.

Just like all the other projects this series really, but they still manage to usually raise a smile with me anyway!

That 2.8 must have been pulling over 4 tons ?!

Hi Myself and wife where lucky to be at the filming of top gear it was great fun and the car looked even better in real life,altough i would still prefer the new one!

At first I was horrified, chucking 140 seats in the skip - doesn't he know how much they cost!!! Then pouring concrete over the floor to get it level :eek:

But then I thought, it's only a tv program chill out. Any way, it's a testament to how tough these cars are that it drove at all with a solid concrete floor.

( Do you think they really filled it with concrete or just "mocked" it up? ) Actually, I'm still quite horrified, I expect to be having nightmares about Jezza shovelling concrete into my car for a while -:p

Lookingat the ride height - they did it for real.

yes is was for real

The old S feauture was pretty funny, especially with the chairs sliding along the wooden floor?

Anyone else think the new S looks a little like a Bentley?

I thought it was completely outrageous , ruining what looked like a perfectly good W140 that I and many other people would have been glad of .

I had the same thought as sportyreptile when I saw those mushroom leather seats going in the skip - I'm looking for a good pair of electric mushroom leather front seats to replace the 'tired' ones in my 420,000 mile 124 estate (not sure if W140 ones will fit) - and was even more outraged to watch the saw going through the centre console . What a mess !

No doubt all of this was funded out of the licence fees that you and I pay .

Definitely unfunny.

Yes a waste of money but yes it was entertaining to see as well. If anything they did Mercedes proud in that program. A real credit to the design and those people fortunate enough to be able to afford an S class.

I prefered the show last week though with the £13500 outboard fitted to the Hilux.

Pontoneer said:
No doubt all of this was funded out of the licence fees that you and I pay .

Definitely unfunny.

Yes, but more relevant is the missed opportunity to sell-off Radio 1 & 2, for the reasons that they have no public service merit, and that the franchises are jointly worth £500mln. Now that would reduce the BBC's own poll tax (now guaranteed to rise above inflation for 10 years - what was Tony's price for that????)

Regards,

Tim

Yes , and all before we take JC's salary into consideration.

c'mon guys, it's called entertainment and I thought it was funny

Take an old(ish) car and destroy it to raise a few laughs - I don't see anyone on here complaining about the Toyotas, Rovers Volvos or Porches etc that have been obliterated on previous shows. What about the caravans? Caravanners everywhere will be cringing but not the slightest whisper of sympathy from this forum.

They trashed a car (which none of us know the history of) that was neither rare nor special in any way just because it's an elderly S class doesn't make it a tragedy :)

Cost to the program makers? I've no idea but you can guarantee it was a lot less than Richard Hammond destroying a Cayenne in Greece :)

Andy

Perhaps we should start complaining about all the American TV shows and films that destroy cars in the name of entertainment as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom