Anniversary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daveenty

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S63 Coupe
Well, it's exactly three years to the day since I bought my E63 from MB Harrogate. It certainly doesn't feel that long as usually cars don't last that length of time here, getting swapped after 12 - 18 months usually, less if I don't get on with them.

I spent a long time looking for the right car and, when this one appeared on the radar, just knew that it was the one I wanted. This was confirmed when the salesman actually brought the car round to my house for me to view, as soon as I saw it I knew it was what I'd been looking for. This made his day easier I should imagine, and most of the time was spent with me drooling and him working figures out on the part exchange (Jaguar XFR which I never gelled with).

The first month or so, all I did with it was clean it, with a few nice long drives to get the smile off my face, though this is still there everytime I go out in it. I then decided to add a Quaife to help with the traction issues and after that, the slippery slope began. It's had a lot done to it since then, from the intakes to the exhaust with lots in between, and it still feels special to me every time I use it, which isn't often in the Winter I have to admit.

The current figures I have for it are 728bhp with 791lb/ft, which is a fair increase on factory figures. Even more so when you consider that these are rear wheel figures and not flywheel, though I'm a bit reluctant to use the 18% conversion as I don't think that it gives a true reading. Suffice to say that it now has a "sufficient" amount of power to keep me aware and awake. :)

I have considered selling it, though it's a case of what do I replace it with? It's quick, comfy and looks good, so to get something that falls into all those categories I'd probably just end up with the same again. I also now have a comfy 4x4 for everyday stuff, so the Merc can still remain a special car to me, which is what I want.

It currently sits on 24,800 miles, it was 4,100 when I picked it up, and I do have a full list of costs for it, though this has mostly been modifications, with the odd set of tyres thrown in so pretty irrelevant really. It's had one breakdown in my three year tenure, which was a completely flat battery caused by a power steering fault and cured by a software update by Mercedes. I've spent just over £20k on fuel and it's had the obligatory 12 month servicing from my local main dealer. Plus several oil changes in between due to messing about with turbos and transmission. :)

I think that Ill probably keep it for at least another 12 months now, possibly longer as it doesn't see a lot of use and I still enjoy driving it.

Finally, a big thanks to Acid and all at MSL for their support and patience, Anthony at Weistec, Jerry at Eurocharged, John at Big Fish Tuning and Chris at my local main dealer for all their help and to Lee C63, Jimmy G & Chris A (amongst other forum members) for giving me the motivation to just get on with this little project.

Sorry to have bored you all. :)

I kept my E55 for 11 years as loved it so much. My E63 is amazing, but not to your standard! As you say, what could you buy that would be a better car, & how much would you have to throw at it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

What's 'boring' about that? Great story. :thumb:

But £20k on fuel....:eek: cheaper than running a Jumbo jet I suppose but only just.;)

Last edited:
Great write-up Dave, and Happy Anniversary (it must deserve a celebratory scoop or two) :thumb:

In another 3 months I will have had 3 years driving Biturbo E63's and mine still makes me smile every time I drive it - which is every day as it's my daily driver :D

I have considered selling it, though it's a case of what do I replace it with? It's quick, comfy and looks good, so to get something that falls into all those categories I'd probably just end up with the same again.
That sums up my thoughts perfectly after clocking up 26k miles in the first one and a further 13k in my current one. These things are perfect for us old farts ;)

Only one other comment: £20k on fuel in 20k miles is either fat-fingers on the calculator or someone's siphoning it out at night :D

Last edited:
I was wondering about the £20k on fuel - that's about 6mpg!!

Great story anyway - is this the most powerful E63 in U.K.?

Last edited:
Great write-up pal but where are the photos?!

There's a few dotted around the forum Lee, but to all intents and purposes it's just another Grey E Class. No show :) Well, apart from this bit (Thanks to Justin for the picture): -

Trax%2002%20by%20Justin.jpg

What's 'boring' about that? Great story. :thumb:

Thank you Sir, appreciated.

But £20k on fuel....:eek: cheaper than running a Jumbo jet I suppose but only just ;)
Only one other comment: £20k on fuel in 20k miles is either fat-fingers on the calculator or someone's siphoning it out at night :D
I was wondering about the £20k on fuel - that's about 6mpg!!

Ooops... Got my figures slightly out, was looking at the wrong column. :eek:

20,553 was the mileage, £5132.43 is the fuel costs which equates to over 22mpg. Not bad when you take all the dyno time in I suppose.

Great story anyway - is this the most powerful E63 in U.K.?

On paper then it probably would be, though it needs a few timed runs on tarmac to confirm that as it's not built for running on paper. :D Hopefully early this year we'll be able to do something.

Ooops... Got my figures slightly out, was looking at the wrong column.

LOL I just worked it out based on £20k :D

24,800 - 4,100 = 20,700 miles

£20,000 / £1.32 (current UK average price for super unleaded) = 15,152 litres

15,152 litres = 3,333 gallons

20,700 miles / 3,333 gallons = 6.2 mpg :eek:

Last edited:
Sounds a great car, i would hang on to it, as you say where would you go after that, good luck with it.

Like you say Dave, what do you replace it with? Then you would need to modify it as the itch would be there.

I think you should get a new AMG badge for the engine with a few more (ACID's) signature on it :thumb:

Nice car. That's a seriously fast estate now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3rd anniversary - deserving of a set of badges for loyal service, don't you think Dave?

Well, it's exactly three years to the day since I bought my E63 from MB Harrogate. It certainly doesn't feel that long as usually cars don't last that length of time here, getting swapped after 12 - 18 months usually, less if I don't get on with them.

I spent a long time looking for the right car and, when this one appeared on the radar, just knew that it was the one I wanted. This was confirmed when the salesman actually brought the car round to my house for me to view, as soon as I saw it I knew it was what I'd been looking for. This made his day easier I should imagine, and most of the time was spent with me drooling and him working figures out on the part exchange (Jaguar XFR which I never gelled with).

The first month or so, all I did with it was clean it, with a few nice long drives to get the smile off my face, though this is still there everytime I go out in it. I then decided to add a Quaife to help with the traction issues and after that, the slippery slope began. It's had a lot done to it since then, from the intakes to the exhaust with lots in between, and it still feels special to me every time I use it, which isn't often in the Winter I have to admit.

The current figures I have for it are 728bhp with 791lb/ft, which is a fair increase on factory figures. Even more so when you consider that these are rear wheel figures and not flywheel, though I'm a bit reluctant to use the 18% conversion as I don't think that it gives a true reading. Suffice to say that it now has a "sufficient" amount of power to keep me aware and awake. :)

I have considered selling it, though it's a case of what do I replace it with? It's quick, comfy and looks good, so to get something that falls into all those categories I'd probably just end up with the same again. I also now have a comfy 4x4 for everyday stuff, so the Merc can still remain a special car to me, which is what I want.

It currently sits on 24,800 miles, it was 4,100 when I picked it up, and I do have a full list of costs for it, though this has mostly been modifications, with the odd set of tyres thrown in so pretty irrelevant really. It's had one breakdown in my three year tenure, which was a completely flat battery caused by a power steering fault and cured by a software update by Mercedes. I've spent just over £20k on fuel and it's had the obligatory 12 month servicing from my local main dealer. Plus several oil changes in between due to messing about with turbos and transmission. :)

I think that Ill probably keep it for at least another 12 months now, possibly longer as it doesn't see a lot of use and I still enjoy driving it.

Finally, a big thanks to Acid and all at MSL for their support and patience, Anthony at Weistec, Jerry at Eurocharged, John at Big Fish Tuning and Chris at my local main dealer for all their help and to Lee C63, Jimmy G & Chris A (amongst other forum members) for giving me the motivation to just get on with this little project.

Happy anniversary pops xx!

Great tale..
Go on put up a pic of the car .
Helps to visualise the story.
Engine bay looks fantastic.

Your car is unique. They really are cut above M and RS cars.

Very hard to replace.

Hi All
Sweet ride Dave , When ever I have had the pleasure of seeing this car in the flesh I just think it's the ultimate sleeper & done to the highest standard by someone that knows what they want & where to go to get it done . 3 years down & still loving , Well done that man

Cheers

Andy (Just walking in the foot steps of giants ,in a very small way)

It's a saloon Chris:D.

But yes, a smashing car that will be hard to replace unless its the W213 version. I drool every time I see your car:thumb:

Oops my bad!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great thread Dave, written by a true enthusiast...here's to the next 3 years:thumb::D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom