Annoying couple of days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daveenty

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S63 Coupe
Yesterday afternoon I decided that my cheap and cheerful Chinese phone didn't have much longer left for this world. It's been OK for around 11 months or so, but has recently decided to just open apps when it wanted to, and not when I wanted them opened, which was getting frustrating. I'd also missed a good few calls with it as it switched the volume up and down dependant on it's mood at the time, often just going to silent.

No problem, I have a spare phone, so decided to whip the SIM out of it and pop it into another Chinese bag of crap. The card was very tight coming out of the original one, so much so that it damaged it, leaving me with no way of making calls, which was awkward to say the least as I'm trying to run a business. I went to the Vodafone website (mistake number one) where I was baffled by the array of options and ended up on a "live chat" with a person who, after 20 minutes, decided he couldn't help so he passed me onto a colleague. It took an hour for the colleague to respond, the notice kept saying they were experiencing high demand, and when he/she did reply, they couldn't help me but gave me a number to ring. Handy without a phone... I also got an email address off them, though I'm still waiting for a reply from the one I sent. :mad:

I called into their shop this morning to see if they could help and they were brilliant. Very helpful person did all the phoning round and messing, supplying me with a new SIM and activating it there and then. Phone now working and I've got a brand new S7 Edge arriving tomorrow, so hopefully good to go.

TL;DR: Phone broke, Vodafone website is rubbish, shops are good. :)

I mentioned mistake number one up there in that lot. Mistake number two happened as I was setting off to buy a paper this morning in the dark and wet. My Jeep was parked very close to a fence post. Too close in hindsight. Post survived, Jeep didn't. :(

Just been to book it in at my local friendly bodyshop. He can't get it in for a fortnight but it's not bad really so I can live with that. He asked if I wanted a quote and I politely declined, telling him to just get on with it. I didn't need any more upsets today, and know from old that I won't get ripped off.

Roll on weekend...

You walked under any ladders lately?

Future reference, if you need a new SIM, take some ID and go instore, much easier and you will get it there and then (as you have found out!)

On a more serious note, some of these chinese phones are rated highly...any particular make?

I have a Galaxy S6 Edge. Marvellous piece of kit so the S7 ought to be even better.
Good luck with the Jeep.

On a more serious note, some of these chinese phones are rated highly...any particular make?

Ulefone Power. Awesome phone with at least three days battery under heavy usage, four with normal. Just that the thing started misbehaving in the last couple of weeks, though it had been dropped (damaged screen) a good while ago.

You bought an S7 :eek: :eek:

Better invest in some Asbestos boxers for that! :D

That's the Note, not the Edge. No worries, and at least they did the right thing by recalling them all. :)

Wileyfox Swift. Had mine for a year, it's just superb for the price.

Aren't most phones Chinese these days (iPhone etc.)?

The same Chinese phones which send all of your details/info back to hackers ?????

Aren't most phones Chinese these days (iPhone etc.)?

Yes they are.

Some cheaper phones (Xiaomi) are rated quite highly and compared to the latest offerings from the big boys but at a fraction of the price

I would still be double checking the smoke sensors mate, good luck with the Jeep:thumb:

SWMBO Samsung A3 got toasty (hot to touch:eek:) the other night whilst charging, only charge it whilst in the room now...

That's the Note, not the Edge. No worries, and at least they did the right thing by recalling them all. :)

Last edited:
whitenemesis said:
Astonishing markup on iPhones and and almost certainly the other 'high-end' handsets "An iPhone 7 costs Apple £174 to make – £425 less than what most UK customers must pay for it, according to analysts. The total price of components in a 32GB iPhone 7 come to $220 (£170), while the cost of manufacturing the handset is $5 (£4), according to IHS Markit." The difference between how much an iPhone costs to make ? and how much Apple sells it for | The Independent

If you think that's bad try

£16 to make a standard under-counter fridge retailing at circa £250

£27 to make a standard washing machine retailing at £300-400

£100 to make a standard large American-style fridge freezer which retail at over £900

Won't say which brand, but I worked there and guarantee 3/5 of us have their products in our homes :eek:

Edge is a fantastic bit of kit I would never head back to apple now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom