Annoying power outlets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TomF

Car
S350L bluetec AMG
1st camping trip in a long time and 1st time in the S class. I'm having to leave the car with ignition on, no key in car, just to charge our mobiles.
There must be a better way?
Two esb sockets in centre console do little to charge, wondering if they are purely to plug music into?
Confused. Com.
Wonder if anyone's re wired the front socket to permanent live?

Something like this...

HETP Power Bank, Portable Charger 25800mAh [Newest Black-Red Design] High Capacity Power Banks with 2 USB Ports External Battery Pack with 4 LED Lights for Smart Phones,Tablet and Other Devices HETP Power Bank, Portable Charger 25800mAh [Newest Black-Red Design] High Capacity Power Banks with 2 USB Ports External Battery Pack with 4 LED Lights for Smart Phones,Tablet and Other Devices: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Ah guess that saves messing with wiring 🤔

Power bank is definitely the best solution. Even if you wired something directly to the battery, you don't really want something draining the battery whilst the car is off.

UK cars don’t have a permanently live 12v socket, which ameans that you can’t use the 12v socket for trickle charging, ie charging the cars battery by connecting to mains power.

As suggested a power bank is the better solution, or better still a solar power bank although they tend to have a smaller battery capacity based upon those I’ve seen.

Is an electric hook up available on the camp site? If so then that would be the best solution, you can buy a multi gang socket which connects to the electric post on pitch.

1st camping trip in a long time and 1st time in the S class. I'm having to leave the car with ignition on, no key in car, just to charge our mobiles.
There must be a better way?
Two esb sockets in centre console do little to charge, wondering if they are purely to plug music into?
Confused. Com.
Wonder if anyone's re wired the front socket to permanent live?

Erm, Excuse me, but why don't you shell out for a Camping Plot with Mains Connected, or are you Camping Off Grid? 😏 :rolleyes:

UK cars don’t have a permanently live 12v socket, which ameans that you can’t use the 12v socket for trickle charging, ie charging the cars battery by connecting to mains power.

As suggested a power bank is the better solution, or better still a solar power bank although they tend to have a smaller battery capacity based upon those I’ve seen.

Is an electric hook up available on the camp site? If so then that would be the best solution, you can buy a multi gang socket which connects to the electric post on pitch.
No power here, most campsites are full this week in the lake district, especially now during the covid bs police are visiting all sites making sure they are only running at half capacity.
It'd still be more convenient to plug a phone into the car and have it charge.

Reactions: 219
That's someone else's problem when I'm dead smarty pants 😉

I know that the USB socket in the C Class is designed for a memory stick rather than as a charge socket. As such it can only provide 500mA. Most modern chargers are well above 2000mA so the car USB socket is a slow charge at best.

Your problem is that to make your accessory sockets live you need the ignition on, that will be draining the car battery heavily because it's powering up all the car systems as well. You could be draining 10 to 20A from the battery whilst the ignition is on. Do that for 5 hours and the car won't start.

We use decent quality lighter sockets to USB converters that put out 2.4A per USB (and have two slots per lighter socket) that means you can reasonably fast charge your devices when you're driving. At that time the engine is providing the power via the alternator and additional load is negligible.

Reactions: 219
I know that the USB socket in the C Class is designed for a memory stick rather than as a charge socket. As such it can only provide 500mA. Most modern chargers are well above 2000mA so the car USB socket is a slow charge at best.

Your problem is that to make your accessory sockets live you need the ignition on, that will be draining the car battery heavily because it's powering up all the car systems as well. You could be draining 10 to 20A from the battery whilst the ignition is on. Do that for 5 hours and the car won't start.
Yeah thanks, thought as much. Really don't like leaving ignition on

Don't be leaving the ignition on for long periods (ideally at all) - you will kill the main battery in quick time on an S Class.

Certainly initially, it draws a lot of current for all the systems within the car and that is not being replaced if the car is not running.

8108671F-A939-46C3-BFFA-13E69EC54CA4.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom