Annoying rattle in W211 E Class estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
E320 CDi Estate
Hi all

I have an annoying 'rattle' coming from the rear interior of my E320 CDi Estate (2003). After pulling appart everything/every panel that I can and tightening/padding out anything that could possibly rattle, I have narrowed it down to the rear seat back on the N/S.

When the seat back is up in the normal position it rattles whenever I go over the a bump. When the seat back is folded down, or folded forward, it does not rattle! It does have the unit containing the cargo net and rear storage area cover attached to the back of the seat back.

Can anyone please tell me if these things are a common source of annoying rattles; if so is there an easy way of dismantling them and stopping the rattle? Could you also tell me if/how it is possible to remove the unit from the back of the seat? - ideally without destroying it in the process!

Many thanks

Does it rattle when there is someone sat in the seat.

There is a thread on this exact subject on the forum.

I can't for the life of me remember who's thread it was....

Does it rattle when there is someone sat in the seat.

I think it might reduce the noise slightly if someone is sat in the N/S rear seat but not completly.

I have looked for other threads on this but could not see any.

It is something to do with the clip that the back of the seat locks into that's the problem.

Just in case it's none of the above, the rattle from the rear on my previous E Class estate defied all attempts to stop it.

It just rattled over bad road surfaces and ruined the drive.

I took it to a bodyshop and paid £25 +VAT to have the tailgate reset to the manufacturers panel gap/bump stop settings..........rattle gone for ever :thumb:.

It was the tailgate latch and keep plate rattling against each other because the tailgate wasn't sitting down properly (even thought the soft close was working OK).

Last edited:
I bet it is your rear seat passenger side retaining clip. Its quite common. Have a read of this:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/interior/107490-s211-load-cover-rattle.html

Thanks for that info everyone. I did try wrapping the metal catch (the bit that the seat back locks onto) in rubber but that made no difference. I am going to try the ideas from the other thread first thing tomorrow and will let you know the result.

It sounds like I have exactly the same fault - interesting why it is the same side (N/S)! I too was beginning to think something had fallen inside. Just as a matter of interest, the noise only started after I had new rear shockabsorbers fitted - you may think what has that to do with it but that rubber 'bung' had to come off to allow the panel to be removed to access the shock top so it has been disturbed and could well be the culprit!

Well my rattle turned out to be a combination effort: the stupid storage box thing that used to sit behind the rear seats and the lid in cargo area floor which was sitting slightly unevenly. Not a problem if a bag or something was on it, only if unladen

Took out the first (which was never used anyway) and put some felt pads underneath the second.

Thanks for that info everyone. I did try wrapping the metal catch (the bit that the seat back locks onto) in rubber but that made no difference. I am going to try the ideas from the other thread first thing tomorrow and will let you know the result.

It sounds like I have exactly the same fault - interesting why it is the same side (N/S)! I too was beginning to think something had fallen inside. Just as a matter of interest, the noise only started after I had new rear shockabsorbers fitted - you may think what has that to do with it but that rubber 'bung' had to come off to allow the panel to be removed to access the shock top so it has been disturbed and could well be the culprit!
Wrapping the catch won't do it. You've got to leave the metal hoop where it is but pack out the rubber buffer that's mounted on the wheel arch. :thumb:

An interesting day! When I removed the rubber pad between the seat back and the metal catch I noticed that someone had cut out the inside of the rear of the pad (see white arrow on pic 1). The net result of this is that the pad sat further back that it should thus creating the problem - or at least I thought that was the case. I cut up a piece of an aerobics mat (it never did me any good anyway :rolleyes:) and filled the hole that had been created in the pad and re-fitted it (see Pic 2). I drove off in full confidence that the problem had been solved.

Yep, you guessed it, it still rattled. I think that, given the fact that the mat is much softer than the rubber pad it was not enough to create the necessary tension. Thankfully I had taken another bit of the mat with me. I folded that double and inserted it between the seat back and the locking catch and locked the seat back up. This time when I drove off ------- problems solved :bannana:

My next step is to go to MB next week to have a look at a new rubber pad to see if they all have the back cut out. I don't think they do as mine look like they have been done with a stanley knife. If the new one does not have the back cut out I will buy it and try it. As so many people are expierencing the problem I reckon the rubber softens over time thus creating the lack of tension and subsequent rattle. If that is the case then the best cure is simply to replace the pad when the rattle starts.

I will let you know what I find out.

Oops forgot the pics!!:wallbash:

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 205
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 188
Annoying rattle solved!!

The problem is now officially solved! The rattle that has been driving me mad was all down to one stupid rubber pad/spacer. The previous postings that helped me identify and cure the problem, all centred on adding packing to or around the seat locking catch.

Having identified that some prat had cut the back out of the pads I tried temporary padding and increased it until the problem was solved. Today I went into MB and got a new pad. I then removed the old pad and the extra temporary padding and fitted the new pad - and guess what? It worked perfectly:bannana: So the message from me is not to try to pad out the seat with padding and connector lugs etc, just go to MB, spend just £4 on a new pad and problem solved! I am now going to do the other side as well.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me solve this really really annoying rattle!

A few pics:

The first pic with the green padding is just to show how my temporary fix actually pressed against the two securing bolts. From the pic it is clear to see where the securing bolts press against the pad.

Pic 2 shows how some prat cut out the vital padding from the rear of the pad!

Pic 3 shows what the pad should look like. The rubber, being new, is very firm and ensures the seat back is tensioned properly when the back is up.

Attachments

• Jul 01a.JPG
    Jul 01a.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 132
  • Jul 02a.JPG
    Jul 02a.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 138
  • Jul 03a.JPG
    Jul 03a.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 145
I note that the new part has a slightly different shape. I bet there have been numerous complaints and they have had to refine the part involved.

Well done though for getting to the bottom of it. If I can bring myself to patronise my local dealer (fat chance!), or perhaps one somewhere else, then I will invest in the new part and see if that cures my ills also.

Thanks. :thumb:

I note that the new part has a slightly different shape. I bet there have been numerous complaints and they have had to refine the part involved.

Well done though for getting to the bottom of it. If I can bring myself to patronise my local dealer (fat chance!), or perhaps one somewhere else, then I will invest in the new part and see if that cures my ills also.

Thanks. :thumb:

It does feel like you are selling your soul when you go in there but when 'needs must' and all that! I too noticed the slight change of shape and I think you are probably right on that score.

A quick update to help those researching this problem. EPC shows the right-hand pad as being updated from A2119230063 (the part modified with green foam above) to A2119230463 (the new part with the round "peg" above), which ties up with the numbers on the pics above and the posited hypothesis.

The left-hand latch pad (single seat side) remains as A2119230063.

Having had some success solving my rattle with padding, I'll be investing in an -0463 part in the not-too-distant future.

Rear seat back catch rattle cured

Thanks to this thread for steering me to the cure on my 2007 E320 estate.
I stuck piece of 3mm plywood to the face of rubber spacer with double sided tape. I expected the catch to not lock when seat back pushed back, but it did, and the rattle was gone! Took 5 minutes and costs almost nothing.
I might buy a new rubber spacer, but actually, why bother. I am going to use a black marker on the ply.
Thanks to all contributors.

Attachments

• P1010783R2.jpg
    P1010783R2.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 59

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom