Annoying rattle on W203

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scottydee

Car
2015 W204 coupe, 1989 Pontiac Trans Am GTA, 1984 Honda V65 Magna
I have a bit of a knocking sound coming from the rear of the car - possibly just bushes and not much to worry about so no worry there.

When I have the nearside windows down (particularly the rear) there's a very "tinny" rattle that seems to be coming from the rear n/s wheel area.

I had new tyres on yesterday and took the opportunity to have a look underneath with the mechanic to try and trace the rattle. We thought perhaps a heat shield, but all the heat shields are in place with no bolts/rivets missing. I can move some of them (more flexing than moving really) but can't find anything that this could be.

Questions are: Could I pack out the space behind them to see if this is the rattle?
AND
If this cures it what would be a good thing to pack it with permanently? (bearing in mind it's a heat shield so I don't want anything to melt/burn).

Sorry for the long winded explanation, but the rattle makes the car sound awful as I'm driving along....:wallbash:

Last edited:
Does it rattle when the car is stationary?
If so, I would be suspecting the cat - very similar to a heat shield rattle.

Anti roll bar bushes,but more of a knock.Is your rear number plate loose,has
caught me out before!

Check the parking brake cable. It runs above the exhaust heatshield and the plastic clips are prone to breaking allowing the cable to catch on the propshaft.

I'll try have a look at that cable! Might apply it slightly as I'm driving to take up the slack....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom