Annoying tapping/clicking noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave CLK 430

Car
Mercedes CLK 430
Any idea what this annoying clicking/tapping noise may be? it only does it when you accelerate.. checked the oil and it has plenty, well more then plenty as its over the max bit.. could it be there is too much oil??

Not sure how loud the clicking you mention is but if you can hear it in the cabin, sometimes it could be normal. The steering gromet on the bulkhead could be torn allowing what is normal engine noise appear as a ticking when revs rise in the cabin.
Maybe it could sth simple as that.

I have an annoying tapping noise on my C43,only happens above 2000 rpm and fades out after 4500 possibly due to engine noise drowning it.

It sounds like lifter noise,but it doesnt happen in the usual startup scenario.

It does not make a ticking noise on cold or hot start,Temperature doesnt seem to change it. It does not seem to happen when reved at stand still. though it may be just hard to hear over other engine noise.

I have replaced the recalled crank pully,tensioner,idler and water pump. no change to the ticking noise

Iv used a piece of pipe to check injectors and other parts around te engine at idle,but cant hear anything obvious.

Could it be trans related??

Cheers

Both my clk and my old c43 made a noise under acceleration that sounds like a faint lifter clack/rattle. If you open the window you can't hear it. I have stopped worrying about it, as i think it could be normal.

Have you checked the EGR valve ?? These often start making a clicking / ticking sound.

Have you checked the EGR valve ?? These often start making a clicking / ticking sound.

That's a good call, i haven't looked at that. Can it be eliminated from the enquiries by just removing the vacuum pipe from it, or will it need to be blanked off or replaced?

Timing chain?

gazz said:
Both my clk and my old c43 made a noise under acceleration that sounds like a faint lifter clack/rattle. If you open the window you can't hear it. I have stopped worrying about it, as i think it could be normal.

EGR Valve I think. Had it on a CLK 500 and that was with the supposed updated unit!

Wait,you guys are talking about the valve at the rear of the engine on the right side...right? (not the MOT valve)

Timing chain?

Mines done 94km's with a resonably good service history,even the trans fluids were done at 70, I would think the chain needs to be really worn to gain enough length to cause issues?...but Im only guessing, Is the chain a common issue for low km's M113's?

I have an annoying tapping noise on my C43,only happens above 2000 rpm and fades out after 4500 possibly due to engine noise drowning it.

It sounds like lifter noise,but it doesnt happen in the usual startup scenario.

It does not make a ticking noise on cold or hot start,Temperature doesnt seem to change it. It does not seem to happen when reved at stand still. though it may be just hard to hear over other engine noise.

I have replaced the recalled crank pully,tensioner,idler and water pump. no change to the ticking noise

Iv used a piece of pipe to check injectors and other parts around te engine at idle,but cant hear anything obvious.

Could it be trans related??

Cheers
Hi Pagz - it was a long time ago you mentioned a tapping noise on your C43. Did you ever get to the bottom of it? I have an E500 , so M113 engine, with the same symptoms. Tapping / clicking noise under load but not when stationary. It happens hot or cold, and no issues on tickover.
Many thanks, David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom