Annual Pilgrimage time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sad that the enjoyment of those involved with organising the GTG and those attending has been diminished by this thread... :(

Just my 2p as a newbie looking in

Group pic or a few mug shots, with or without the cars would be great next time :thumb: I for one would appreciate it, to share an event I wasn't at as much as not attending can.

Group pic or a few mug shots, with or without the cars would be great next time :thumb: I for one would appreciate it, to share an event I wasn't at as much as not attending can.

Put like that it's a reasonable request and one I would endorse. Cheers! :thumb:

I must say I thought the response to Grahams first post was somewhat of an overreaction. I didn't read any malice into the post whatsoever and thought it a perfectly reasonable observation.

I can understand how it could have been misinterpreted though.

We seem to have a bit of a sensitive crowd around here at the moment. :eek:

Last edited:
I must say I thought the response to Grahams first post was somewhat of an overreaction. I didn't read any malice into the post whatsoever and thought it a perfectly reasonable observation.

Its a bit like text messaging, you don't get the true context of how something is meant:(

Graham230K said:
I know people have and make friends on the forum, but an "event" thread that consists purely of a build up and planning, then thanks and graces without so much as a few pics, be it cars or members is a bit of a non-event for the forum don't you think? Sounds more and more like a private party.

I disagree

The invites for this event was first published on the 2nd of February 2009

02/02/09

Yes the beginning of February this year. Since that date there has been REGULAR posts on this thread which EVERY SINGLE MEMBER has access to.

If there had been a misunderstanding then the respoonsible thing to do is to communicate in private and apologise for any misunderstanding. There has been no apology and I accept you believe there was no malice.. That is what I would expect from you..

My family spend days preparing for this Mercedes-Benz club meeting.. They spend days preparing for it.. They stay up way into the early hours of the morning on the day to make delicious desserts.. They do this because they like to see me being happy mixing with members of this forum.. I do not expect you or Graham to understand this as neither of you have attended any of these GTG's that are put on each year.

I expect those remarks from the pair of you and it was strange that it took you so long to support this administrator.

This event means a lot to a number of folks and as usual we have members that enjoy criticising something they have no experience of, no knowledge of and then telling everyone how 'we' are being 'sensitive'

Incidentally I am so 'sensitive' I even purchased a gazebo solely to make sure this 'private' event could still take place if it rained.

Last edited:
I think you need to lighten up a little John - there really is no conspiracy going on.

Any misunderstanding was (and continues to be) yours.

Last edited:
I have never been to any of Glojo's GTGs due to his insisting on living as far from me as possible without leaving the UK (joke). Having read this and previous years posts on how those who attended enjoyed themselves,I am envious to say the least.

The amount of time and money John and his family spend is staggering, and an indication of their characters. As for the lack of photos, all I can say is if you want photos then join a camera club.

One day I would love to attend their GTG and do two things. 1. Apologise for posting thoughtless posts which upset John unintentionally. 2. Shake hands with John and his family and say thanks.

Glojo, please don't go dwelling on my post. I said like a private party, I did not accuse you of actually having a private party. I said like a private party as I and maybe some of our other members would have enjoyed some pictures of either the cars or people (or both) from your event. That was my point and so further benefit won't be found by trying to take it any other way.

There is no doubt in my mind about how much effort is involved to put this on, nor how much your or the other members enjoy it.

I do however instantly tire when you resort to your mode of posting that consists of underlying sarcasm and digs, use of phrases like this administrator and saying private event what must just be for the sake of prolonging your state of umbrage.

As for the lack of photos, all I can say is if you want photos then join a camera club.

Hope you didn't put too much thought into that. There is a lot this forum brings that is not just about MB, if we took the view you should get that else where we'd loose 3/4 the content!

Step back, realise it is because this event is popular, great people we haven't all met host and attend it and because there are nice cars we haven't all seen, I thought some picture content for the rest of use to enjoy that were not there would be nice :doh:

I do however instantly tire when you resort to your mode of posting that consists of underlying sarcasm and digs, use of phrases like this administrator and saying private event what must just be for the sake of prolonging your state of umbrage.
I am simply replying to your posts..

You had no reason whatsoever to pass any comments regarding this GTG (that is what is was)

You had ample oppurtunity to apologise privately for any unitentional misunderstanding and yes I will defend the hard work that my family put into organising this event.

A GTG is not about taking pictures (I personally HATE having my picture taken) A GTG should be a social event where like minded folks shoot the breeze and have a very enjoyable experience... My family do EVERYTHING within their poweer to fulfil those ambitions...

EVERY POST.. yes every post that is submitted by the very nice folks that attend have ALWAYS been complimentary. You have never attended any of our gatherings ... There has never been a cross word spoke by any person that attends these events or has met either myself or my family... You howevver have elected to make a small observation that I will tactfully say was not well received.

You have then had ample oppurtunity to apologise for what was hopefully a very poorly ill thought out remark, but instead of that, you have done your usual thing and lashed out... it does not impress and it certyainly does not intimidate.

Would you prefer that we just lock this thread, end this silly nonsense and then you'll have no more to complain about John?

It is afterall only THIS thread that you'll be posting in from now on.

Personally I think its a shame you have to continually get upset but perhaps as you say, its for the best.

Last edited:
Would you prefer that we just lock this thread, end this silly nonsense and then you'll have no more to complain about John?

It is afterall only THIS thread that you'll be posting in from now on.

Personally I think its a shame you have to continually get upset but perhaps as you say, its for the best.
Thank you,
My personal thoughts are that Graham's post and EVERY single post that refers to it be deleted including all my remarks referring to it.

It was a silly ill thought statement to make and it could so easily have been rectified.

The thread can then probably die a natural death.

That wasnt the option John. Your responses are far better left for all to see.

Happy to lock the thread if you wish though.

An olive branch?

You have then had ample opportunity to apologise for what was hopefully a very poorly ill thought out remark, but instead of that, you have done your usual thing and lashed out... it does not impress and it certainly does not intimidate.

Not trying to impress (appease yes), certainly not intimidate. Also, not being anything other than genuine, a little put out that you think I lashed out, I don’t see where. Maybe I just am the bad guy? Also just replying to your posts. The reason for no apology is I don't think I have anything to apologise about. I think apologising because of someone else's reactions isn't a good road to go down. It would be like a relationship with a woman! ;)

I
A GTG is not about taking pictures (I personally HATE having my picture taken) A GTG should be a social event where like minded folks shoot the breeze and have a very enjoyable experience... My family do EVERYTHING within their power to fulfil those ambitions...

Now then. Lets get down to some business.

I acknowledge your stance is you feel pictures if they were to be taken at the GTG you host, would be detrimental to the enjoyable experience, such that it is unreasonable for the forum to have expected any.

Will you acknowledge, I like to see event pictures, I think event pictures contribute to the forum greatly by giving EVERY member something rather than just those who chose/were able to attend your GTG and that while it may not be your opinion, it was not an idea from another planet? I maintain, my view, is that so far as the forum members not there are concerned, it was like a private party as we have nothing to see of it. Read that statement with the innocence it was intended, please.

We needn’t agree, this isn’t a ruling of whether GTG’s must have pictures, I just don’t see why you are not able to see another’s point of view. Can we agree to have acknowledged each others views and opinions on this and let it be?

That wasnt the option John. Your responses are far better left for all to see.

Happy to lock the thread if you wish though.
I have no opinion either way and am only responding to points that I deem relevant.

As Graham has said we will just agree to disagree

I have no opinion either way and am only responding to points that I deem relevant.

As Graham has said we will just agree to disagree

With this new mood of forgivness and love, perhaps you could overlook some of whats upset you in the past and rejoin the forum a proper?

I acknowledge your stance is you feel pictures if they were to be taken at the GTG you host, would be detrimental to the enjoyable experience, such that it is unreasonable for the forum to have expected any.

You are at least consistant and as usual you are try to tell me what I think, or what my stance is on a particular issue. To make things clear about what my stance is.

I ENJOY LOOKING AT PICTURES OF A GTG INCLUDING THE ONE WE HOST.

I ENJOY WATCHING FOLKS TAKING PICTURES AT OUR GTG'S.

I PERSONALLY HAVE ASKED FOLKS IF THEY HAVE TAKEN PICTURES AT OUR GTG.

HOWEVER IF FOLKS ELECT NOT TO TAKE PICTURES THEN I ADMIT.......... I DO NOT CARE.

That is my stance, my thoughts and my opinion.Look at every other GTG we have hosted... There have been still pictures.. there has been video footage. This year no one bothered to record the event.

I ADMIT I DO NOT LIKE HAVING MY PICTURE TAKEN

but I have never, never, never voiced that trait at our GTG... that would be rude and wrong. If folks want to take pictures then power to their elbow. I am simply embarrassed by being photographed and that is me confiding to the world about a personal issue.

Will you acknowledge, I like to see event pictures, I think event pictures contribute to the forum greatly by giving EVERY member something rather than just those who chose/were able to attend your GTG and that while it may not be your opinion, it was not an idea from another planet? I maintain, my view, is that so far as the forum members not there are concerned, it was like a private party as we have nothing to see of it. Read that statement with the innocence it was intended, please.

We needn’t agree, this isn’t a ruling of whether GTG’s must have pictures, I just don’t see why you are not able to see another’s point of view. Can we agree to have acknowledged each others views and opinions on this and let it be?
I totally, totally see your point of view, as do a lot of other members, you have made your point of view crystal clear.

BUT.... I am NOT going to make it a requirement that my guests must take pictures, or they must not... I do however make it a rule that we must all enjoy ourselves (tongue in cheek)

If anyone on this forum had said, "Hi John, I am sorry I cannot make the GTG this year, is there any chance you could post me some pictures please?"

Then folks that know me will accept that request would have been made public and we would have all made sure we took pictures for this person.

Your off the cuff trivial observation has certainly left a very bad taste and I find it sad, but as my old sergeant always used to say, "There is nowt as strange as folk!" .

Why are you shouting?

From your response its clear that you still don't get it John. :dk:

Last edited:
Why are you shouting?

From your response its clear that you still don't get it John. :dk:
I definitely get it..

Rest assured the message has travelled long and far and yes I get the message very loud and very clear.

Why am I shouting??

What a good question and I will let others answer that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom