Anodized Brake Calipers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrispy

Car
97 W202
Ok, my W202 is going in to have the whole brake assembly overhauled, renewed etc and I was wondering if there is anywhere on the net (or dealers) where I could purchase anodized (silver preferably) brake calipers to replace the old rusty ones? I have 17" Lorinser style (turbine) alloys on it and the whole caliper assemby is clearly visible and it looks crap (for want of a better word). I got some for an old Mini Cooper I had many moons ago and thought if available they would look much smarter than the current rusty ones.

Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to help and appologies for all these questions i'm constantly asking.

A good clean and then the application of high temperature paint will serve the same purpose but at much less cost (assuming what you are seeking are available)

If you're going to paint them please choose a sensible colour! Factory brakes are silver, brembo and other big brake kits tend to be bronze or a copper colour these days. Red is a bit 90s now ;)

I have just logged on to pose the same question. My calipers look tatty and could do with painting. Is it a straight forward job? (Not very mechanically minded!!). Can I paint them in situ by simply taking the wheel off? How much would I expect to pay MB to clean and paint them?
Sorry to pose questions on your thread, but thanks for posting the same problem!

I shall do mine shortly when I replace the brake pads.

I am intending to:

Thoroughly clean them first with brake cleaner to remove the nasty dust.

Remove the pads and unbolt the calipers (tying them up to prevent strain on the hoses).

Give them a clean with a wire brush (and more brake cleaner).

Let them dry, mask up roughly with newspaper and then spray with a silver heat resistant paint.

I am thinking about fitting EBC green pads to limit the amount of brake dust in the future. I know they wear out the disks quicker but I generally have to replace the disks every second set of pads anyway and for my car they are only £20 a corner.

Hi chrispy
Good advice from 15foye that is all i have done with mine because I bought the car with steel wheels and then fitted alloys so the calipers etc were showing and it looked crapp.

I bought mine from ebay (good old ebay) it was not expensive and they look great and because the paint was good quality they still look good.

If your calipers are good i would not waste my money changing them.

Hope this helps you decide

Norman:bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana:

Go painted black, unless you have brakes to be proud of, it will look clean and smart without attracting attention to the inadequacy!

I painted mine gloss black, look(ed) really good. They now need doing again though (along with the hubs).

Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated. If I can't get hold of the anodized ones I guess i'll have to paint them.

The calipers are iron. You can't anodize iron to produce a good finish like you can aluminium alloys. If you could the finish would be called "rust"

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Ady is currently having his 4 potters powder coated. :bannana:

Spoke to the coaters about sustainable temperatures and they claim they will withstand 200 degrees without burning / staining.

Ady is currently having his 4 potters powder coated. :bannana:

Spoke to the coaters about sustainable temperatures and they claim they will withstand 200 degrees without burning / staining.

Yep I think we went for Red :D any more pics yet?? ;)

I'd love to get my calipers done too coz they do look pants. Might have to take a trip over to 124 works to get some help :eek: be a good opportunity to give the wheels a good clean too - clay bar the works.:rock:

mmmm - sensing a bit of a plan coming on. As long as some kind soul can help me get the wheels off, and make sure I'm not doping anything utterly stoopid, I could do this - I reckon.:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom