Anone know of any reasonably priced Insurance companies for learners ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
... Fully comp for our A170 CDI for wife and myself works out around £250 per year on a £250 excess. When we put our daughter on it with a provisional licence it went up by just over £450 to around £700 per year on the same excess for us, but £500 excess for daughter. We have 5+ years no claims bonus (unprotected) with a greater london postcode.

Good luck.

Just got a renewal notice from LV, an annual fully comp policy on the A170CDI for wife and myself has now gone down to £175 as our NCB is now 7 years:bannana:. (We have recently moved both our daughters onto an Audi A2 to get them trained on driving a manual car.)

Ah, this old chestnut:). Try Liverpool Victoria (also known as LV). They are consistently cheaper than other companies we have had quotes from.

We switched from CIS any driver, to named driver with LV for wifey's car with the kids on it a few years ago. We've stuck with them for the last few years but it has taken increasing amounts of persuasion to get a quote that wasn't significantly more expensive than competitors. I also have my MB with them but they weren't the very cheapest for that either.

LV seem very random though - they're good for some people but way out for others. We actually use their brand Frizzell, via CSMA (Civil Service Motoring Association) a wide range of people can join. WhatCar's insurance is also through LV.

Twelve years ago now but I bought my son a brand new Citroen Saxo with three years free insurance - it was cheaper than paying the premiums!

I'm convinced there's a conspiracy between the insurance companies and driving schools to make it totally non-viable for young learner drivers to do anything other than paying for driving lessons. When we looked into this with a view to buying a cheap Saxo for my sons age 22 and 19 to learn in, hours and hours on the 'net and phoning insurance companies didn't get anything better than £1200 per year, to substantially increase upon either passing the test and going out on their own.

All the companies fall back on "accident rates" to justify their exorbitant premiums for young male drivers. We gave up in the end; easier to go down the driving school route + intensive course and test combined.

All the companies fall back on "accident rates" to justify their exorbitant premiums for young male drivers. We gave up in the end; easier to go down the driving school route + intensive course and test combined.

I've got 2 girls who are in their twenties now, but when they and their male friends were learning to drive, *many* of the lads crashed and wrote off cars (and I'm talking about new cars in some cases, that parents had bought).

More recently the 18yr old son of some friends of ours has just written off his Mum's car for the second time in 4mths. Apparently it wasn't his fault, he was only going slowly and he skidded in the rain while going around a roundabout. :rolleyes:

+1 for Adrian Flux's young drivers policy. My 18yr old cousin Carl got his ins policy with them for his his 1.4L Peugeot 206. It's in his own name, and he starts building up his own No Claims Bonus straight away.

I was with Adrian Flux for my CLK320 up until about 20mins ago (but then I am 29 so i dont really count as a young driver.). I switched to Admiral. Thank you Confused.com

That quote sounds quite good... I wasn't able to fund insurance on the W202 as a learner... I ended up paying £4,500 for the first year in insurance...

That quote sounds quite good... I wasn't able to fund insurance on the W202 as a learner... I ended up paying £4,500 for the first year in insurance...

i went to AA for a quote after i'd lost my licence and just repassed the test... they actually laughde down the phone before apologising that he couldnt do any better. 4638 quid for a Pug 206 1.1i :( what a joke!

I went with Tesco in the end, after extensive searching. (Colingwood are definately worth it for short term insurance for learner drivers.)

Thanks for al the input.

Toyota Yaris 1.0 GLS - £1400 TPFT £1800 Fully Comp. Only thing with fully comp is the excess on the 17 year old is £750 :eek:

I added a learner driver (Mrs Ringway) to my 3.0V6 Omega policy with MORE THAN.

The cost was zero!

IT IS an age thing I'm afraid. :eek:

But I understand she only looks 21!!!! :D :bannana:

Try Direct Line, I seem to remember they were ok when my lads were learning

Unfortunately that's probably not a bad price comparitively for a 17 year old male driver on a provisional license. It's always been expensive - when I was 17/18 I think I used to pay circa £1k - about 10 years ago.

Will

While I appreciate these prices are the norm nowadays , it wasn't always so : when I learned back in the mid 70's the additional premium to put me on the family fleet of cars ( Merc 220/8 , Consul 2 litre , Audi 100GL , Landy Series 1 ) was nothing , zero , nada , NIL ! Same when my two younger sisters learned a couple of years later .

When my daughter , now aged 23 learned about 5 years ago , we got a couple of horrendous quotes to put her on her mum's Fiesta (smallest car in our fleet) , but the Co-op came out with the best deal - taking mum's insurance up from something like £130 to £300-odds . We couldn't believe it either , but that was the deal !

We do tend to forget that car insurance is a business exercise. Its a product that companies sell to generate income.:rolleyes: Sure they try to minimise risk by loading the premiums of drivers/cars they feel have a higher probability of claiming hence the high premiums for younger/inexperienced drivers :eek:----HOWEVER----they have to sell product--and young drivers are a relatively untapped income resource :)----depending on their companies overall risk exposure it may be worth their while to dip a toe into this "higher risk" market to generate income from time to time.;) This will vary from company to company over time so the old maxim still applies --search wide and long as there will probably be some underwriter out there that wants the business.:thumb: GOOD LUCK.

The £700 quote sounds better than average to me, suggest you take that for now, & change companies once he's passed !

Allisons Civic is an 1800 DOHC Vtec - so hardly an ideal choice as a learner, but with her massed 12 yrs no claims, parked on the street it costs us £312 PA, No1 son at 19 with a minor conviction pushed the quote to £4600!
The best he can do on his own is over £2000 on any car you choose to mention.

Martin has asked around his friends and every single one of them (about 10 of them) had at least one accident on their first year and most of them had 2! It does look like the insurance companies understand the costs of young drivers

No wonder the teens are almost uninsurable

my boy 19 corsa sxi 1.2 tesco's was £3600.00 admiral £1200.00

Another recommendation for admiral, they tend to be good for young drivers, though will depend on the car and area you live in too.

When I bought my grand daughter a Yaris at age 17 (learner) I found Tesco's to be the cheapest AND they didn't raise the premium when she passed her test. I think I paid around £900 - but for some reason I think you will find males are double the premium.

Direct Line for us.
Wife main driver, me named & number 1 son named.
Third party fire & theft on a Citroen C2 1.1 litre about £600 first year when learning, Reduced to £422 this year. I could have got fully comp for the same money with More Than but I need to add number 2 son as he is starting to learn in the next couple of weeks (about half way through insurance year) and More Than were no good for learner driver 18 months ago.

Added 17 year old number 2 son with approx 3 months to go on the policy
Additional cost £37.80 + £13.65 policy amendment fee:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom