Another air matic problem S212

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So the Aerosus bags are in. All good for 5 days then today was the 1st time it was loaded up with people and dogs. The car rising message came on as we were driving along and didn't go off. Happened twice, but not when I was by myself.
I'm thinking it is trying to self level but for some reason can't. Is this a programming thing?

Have you run a diagnostic check using Xentry/STAR
So the Aerosus bags are in. All good for 5 days then today was the 1st time it was loaded up with people and dogs. The car rising message came on as we were driving along and didn't go off. Happened twice, but not when I was by myself.
I'm thinking it is trying to self level but for some reason can't. Is this a programming thing?

Can you hear the compressor kicking in when the car rising mesage comes on. Do you have have 4 wheel airmatic or only at the rear ( I assume the rear). I would said that you must have a leask someonewhere, but a Xentry diagnostics will help the troubleshooting.

You could check the level sensors too. They can break - there is a plastic arm that connects the sensor to the suspension.
When the warning message appeared did the suspension look like it was at the correct height? It is worth measuring the height of the wheel arch from the ground on both sides to be accurate.

You could check the level sensors too. They can break - there is a plastic arm that connects the sensor to the suspension.
When the warning message appeared did the suspension look like it was at the correct height? It is worth measuring the height of the wheel arch from the ground on both sides to be accurate.
Hi - I think the sensor is OK, as they detected that he car was low (extra weight) and needed more air, but there was no air getting to the bags as the car didn't rise. Also, noticed that it is not level. Yesterday the passenger side was lower by an inch, today the drivers side is lower by half an inch. I don't think it is leaking as it is drivable with 1 person, the problem is no air is getting to the bags when requested by the sensor.
I can't tell if the compressor is working, but there seems to be a high pitched noise coming from it, which I guess isn't good.

Sorry, should have been more clear. I meant the value of air/self levelling suspension depends how you use it. For me at least. If i didn't utilise it's ability to carry a full load while it preserved its driving dynamics i agree it wouldn't be worth the cost over coil springs and dampers.

My main frustration with it was just working out which part was leaking, rather than the cost. I think it went back to the garage 3 or 4 times in the end and i spent a good few hours underneath it myself!

I originally got into an E Class estate over a C Class estate for the self levelling - when I went on camping holidays in SW France in my S204 the nose was pointing skyward. I happened to end up with two fully Airmatic cars which, IMHO, are brilliant for that sort of thing.

Since then I've done loads of long trips fully laden with people/luggage/camping gear/bikes/etc. Both E's have been rock solid with the added benefit of almost zero roll no matter how heavily laden.

In 12 years and 75k all I've had to replace is the pump on the 211 and the rear air bags on the 212.

Apart from the ride quality and the all-round self levelling they're also more insulated from road noise than the steel spring equivalents.

Same problem on my E250 estate, leave for a few days and then it starts to drop both rear sides at the same rate ( rear only setup). Pumps straight up again no problem. I have had the valve off and one of the O rings into the valve block to one side lost a section so that may be the cause. What I wanted to do was test each side as shown in this Youtube video.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
What I cannot find out is what threads the connectors are ( from the compressor and to the suspension) I think the compressor connection is 1/4" bsp but that may be wrong. If I know what threads these are I can obtain a coupler and build a test rig so I know if the leak is on either side and if not should be able to check the valve.

So if anyone has the details of the pipe connectors I can move forward. As with others its about trying to accurately dignose before embarking on major replacement of modules.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom