Another ATF Thread Comments welcome.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Holland

Car
Mercedes C180 Classic Estate 1996 and a Ducati Paso 907ie in the Garage.
Hi recent newbie with few other threads ongoing re my 1996 C180 with an auto box 722.6 version fitted.

My regular corner shop local parts man whom I have used for 15 plus years has in stock with the following on the bottle.

Comma ATF.

AQ3

Meets Dexron III

Meets specs for GM Type a Suffix, Dexron ÍID / IIE / III,
Ford M2C-138-CJ/M2C-166H,
ZF TE ML 09/14,
ALLISON C4.

£6.99 a litre.

The question is will this be okay to use in the gearbox?

It may be for only a short period as there is a fault with the box and I am going get things checked out in the new year, however having checked the level as per the specs and routine I am a a little low so the fault may be here or associated so I am going to top up.

We have checked the shop books and this is recommended in despatches so to speak however as he said suppliers are " a little delicate when recommending fluids for MB's due some aggresive MB marketing of their own make products".

Have I found a suitable replacement?

I would err on using either original MB fluid or the Fusch brand.
The ATF is synthetic and has various additives to make it work better and last longer. it's quite possible that a different product would work either OK or just as well, but what if there is a subsequent problem?

On another note, tell us about your recumbent, is it fast and fun to ride?

At this stage my budget and the vehicles condtion sadly limit my options however I have read with interest various discussions over oils and not seen this one mentioned so thought I might throw it into the ring for consideration.

Having driven a Volkswagen Commercial van for several years I am also a little fed up with huge expense they (the manufacturers) apply to their vehicle specific oils and how little impact they have on the general life of their vehicles. Yet my Nissan Van has done twice the mileage with less oil and fuel used, heavier loads, faster speeds and I get to throw in what ever oil is available as long as it is the correct grade...............soz mini rant over!!!!!

Code:
On another note, tell us about your recumbent, is it fast and fun to ride?

It a very stationery estate model as I am not insured or taxed until the new year to drive it sadly and then it will be only as far as 124 Works to get it on a Star machine where hopefully Ian may get lucky and explain the problem and suggest a remedy?

I meant the one in your avatar...
:bannana::D

Tis not mine, but an interest I have and I do like this one, but until I can get my Ducati Paso 907ie rebuilt and on the road an interest it will just sadly stay. I have though had a ride in several and they are fast and sooooooooo much fun.

That dex3 is more than fine for your box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom