Another boiler question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

timk

Car
VW Passat Alltrack, E39 BMW M5, Mercedes C55 AMG Wagon
My boiler packed up last week and had to have a new PCB fitted for a not insubstantial cost. Trouble is having spoken to boiler engineer and Googled the make/ model, it seems its notorious for being, well, a crap boiler.

Any recommendations for good boiler cover/ care plans? Or all they all a total rip-off?

I pay around £14/month for cover that includes same day call out, weekend cover, parts and labour, unlimited call outs and some kind of contribution towards a new boiler thingy in the event they can't fix it.

However, the cover doesn't start until a month after you've set up the plan, to avoid them getting lumbered with already broken down boilers.

I'm happy with that.

Last edited:
I pay around £14/month for cover that includes same day call out. weekend cover, parts and labour, unlimited call outs and some kind of contribution towards a new boiler thingy in the event they can't fix it.

However, the cover doesn't start until a month after you've set up the plan, to avoid them getting lumbered with already broken down boilers.

I'm happy with that.

That sounds ok - who are you with?

That sounds ok - who are you with?

The policy is managed by Domestic and General and in Birmingham they sub contract the fixing to Status Heating of Kings Heath.

Is it by any chance a Potterton Suprima?

D&G are very good. We have them for some appliances...no quibbling when you need them.

I am a gas engineer, British gas were doing a deal, a one off repair no matter what it was, £175, or something like that, guaranteed to get your boiler running again, if your pcb, fan, and gas valve all happen to go at the same time, which they do, then I would recommend this service, Alot of people use the Brit gas service plans. But thats upto you. a pcb is on average £125, fans can be £175 upwards, gas valves £100 upwards.

I pay around £14/month for cover that includes same day call out, weekend cover, parts and labour, unlimited call outs and some kind of contribution towards a new boiler thingy in the event they can't fix it.

I'm happy with that.

The people behind A Shade Greener have launched this Everlasting Boilers.

It actually looks an interesting proposition based on the cover that you talk about above......

If we do a Johnny Ball and do the maths that's £14 x 12 = £168
If you change the boiler for a newer more reliable example you should save money on gas and get a guarantee that covers any repairs. If you were to buy a Worcester boiler or similar for £1000 that if installed by a accredited installer it would have a 7 year warranty that works out at £143 per year.
There are cheaper boilers with long warranties like Ideal & Ferroli. Our cheapest would equate to £100 a year with a 5 year warranty.
Just for info what do you have installed?

If we do a Johnny Ball and do the maths that's £14 x 12 = £168
If you change the boiler for a newer more reliable example you should save money on gas and get a guarantee that covers any repairs. If you were to buy a Worcester boiler or similar for £1000 that if installed by a accredited installer it would have a 7 year warranty that works out at £143 per year.
There are cheaper boilers with long warranties like Ideal & Ferroli. Our cheapest would equate to £100 a year with a 5 year warranty.
Just for info what do you have installed?

Yes very true, even Ariston boilers are coming with a 5 year warranty, as well as Remeha as standard.

Isn't it interesting that all these boiler faults are on combi boilers.

Best avoided IMHO.

Last edited:
Hi Paul
Just need to be careful with Broag.
The new Exclusive has a 5/7 warranty but the older models have been downgraded to 2 years.
I like the look of the exclusive

Too much choice?

I have a Suprima and whilst I am told they are not actually bad boilers, their PCBs were assembled by blind-folded engineers with their hands tied behind their backs and a soldering iron between their teeth.

Only last night I had to expose the PCB to reseat all the connectors after it decided to stop working - only had a new PCB three years ago.

The boiler itself could be the best in the world - but with shyte electronics, it's no more use than a car with duff electronics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom