Another brakes question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK, one more time.

The parking brake (electronic) applies automatically, nothing can be done about this. As soon as the door is opened, engine running or not, the brake is on. And my car lives on a scissor lift in the garage so obviously no risk of rolling as it's in the air.
Can you not prevent the parking brake being applied by pulling on the parking brake handle?
"To prevent application: pull the handle of the electric parking brake."
From the Handbook

I will give that a try and let you know, I think the parking brake comes on automatically a door is opened, but worth a try

kc

There should always be a way of disengaging the parking brake while the car is in N, for towing (which may require the key to be in the ignition, the gear not in P, the car not locked etc etc - all of which is fine for the purpose I mentioned).

There should always be a way of disengaging the parking brake while the car is in N, for towing (which may require the key to be in the ignition, the gear not in P, the car not locked etc etc - all of which is fine for the purpose I mentioned).
Yes the parking brakes go on automatically but go off when you pull the handle - on both my 4 year olds.

Can you not prevent the parking brake being applied by pulling on the parking brake handle?
"To prevent application: pull the handle of the electric parking brake."
From the Handbook
It still seems that there are certain conditions to be met Peter, though I'm not really that bothered about them.

From the book: -

"This is only the case if one of the following conditions is also fulfilled:

* The engine is switched off.
* The seat belt tongue is not inserted in the seat belt buckle of the driver's seat and the driver's door is opened.
* There is a system malfunction.
* The power supply is insufficient.
* The vehicle is stationary for a lengthy period."

So it seems that the brake will ultimately apply itself if left for a prolonged period or possible other criteria.

It's a moot point anyway really as I'm really not interested enough to start messing with buttons when I just want to put the car away and get in the house. :)

As has been pointed out above, there is a safe way to release the handbrake, once automatically applied, to tow the vehicle or move it around a workshop and I'm sure it's been addressed such that those in colder climes can park up without having the parking brake freeze itself on! I'd be surprised if it didn't mention this in the handbook?
Appreciate your comments Dave, keep well :thumb: (Must catch up again sometime!)

I will give that a try and let you know, I think the parking brake comes on automatically a door is opened, but worth a try

kc
nope that does not work, handbrake does not release till engine running. will just have to drive it round the block, what a hardship!
kc

Can you release it manually by pulling the e-brake handle?

I just tried the button on mine.

It did release the parking brake, I heard it winding off. I then lifted the car up to turn the wheels to check they were free and the o/s rear turned fine. The parking brake then re-applied itself which made it time to give up. The car's still in the air and the brake is on but I now have my feet up, safe in the knowledge that it can't follow me into the house.

It's going to be a lot easier to just run it around the block and dry the brakes with a few sharp pedal presses than all this messing.

And certainly more pleasurable. ;)

Get some Bilthammer Atom mac. Spray it on the discs before washing. It stops them rusting. Can be used after washing but some discs get a rust coat very quickly. Its also good to apply if laying the car up for a long period of time or over winter. No rust

Alternatively paint them, remember to use high temp paint:crazy::rolleyes:

Not sure if this is the correct part of the forum but....

After I have washed and dried the car and let it "air dry" for a couple of hours, I then put it in the garage under its cover. It may be a week or more till the car is used and I am finding the brakes are locked on solid. Put the car in drive or reverse, release the handbrake if light is on and the car just will not move. I have to use frighteningly high revs, then a bang and the brakes release, slamming them back on before the car rockets through the back wall of the garage!!!
If car goes out and it is a dry day the brakes are still ok after a couple of weeks in the garage. I believe it is "only" surface rust on the disc but it very worrying that the car may end up under a brick wall, through the garage door or hurtling down the drive.
The wife suggested spraying oil on the discs which i chose to ignore, in the same sentence she asked where the Life insurance policy was??????

Joking aside any suggestions?

kc
Hey buddy, sorry I'm a little late to this but its a very common problem.
There's 3 different products that can be used with good results to avoid this.

P&R brake buster wheel shampoo, it has corrosion inhibitors in the formula so they don't oxidise.
You can also use BH atom Mac, or Hyde rust stopper, spray both products directly onto the disc before and after washing. Then use a blower to force any moisture out.
If your using Fallout remover wheel cleaner this will also make the discs go rusty as it attacks the Cast iron causing the oxidation.

How do you spray the inside of the discs with rust stopper? The inner pad will still stick won’t it

Not really, when the electric parking brake is on it doesn't allow any water ingress between the pad and the discs, the inner disc doesn't really get wet enough to oxidise, it's the outer edges of the pads surface that bond.

I have electronic park brakes on my other cars still have no issue's with this method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom