Another car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carnut

Car
SL400 & audi A1
I currently have a SL 350 (R230) which I intend to keep for sunny days out etc. I'm in the market for a second car which will be for shopping, long motorway journies up to london and general dogsbody everyday use, so fuel efficiency comes to the fore

Im looking at a 220CDI auto estate at the moment as a bench mark ( the alternative is BMW 320D
icon_eek.gif
)

What suggestions do you have about the best MB model to fit my requirements? Is a 200 or 250CDi better?

I would like to buy nearly new or 3/4 years old. What should I avoid and what kind of mileage can these engines do easily? What is the real world fuel consumption for these models in your experience?

Any help would be appreciated- Budget circa £20k:)

Have a 2008 C200cdi and get 40mpg overall. Slightly better if on a long run. I suspect the 220 would be about the same but more oomph, so may be a better bet, more of them about as well.

There is no finer car than a pre blue efficiency C220CDi estate.

I'm averaging an unremarkable 41mpg but I do drive quite fast on hilly fun roads and even out the mpg on motorway hauls. A saloon would be better.

The 220 is quite lively but I'd want that. It feels fairly effortless with less than 2500rpm needed for swift safe progress.

Spec wise I'd suggest an elegance auto. I know you well and the sport is fun especially down on twisty roads where you live and used to live but it is firm to the point I know it's not for everyone.

I'd also look at the E220 W211 estate. The last of those are reliable and more comfortable and spacious and nicer inside. Way less of a drivers car but a pleasant steer with bags of comfort. A 220 5g example should be sought out, not a V6 7g.

I wouldn't waste your money on the 212, a 211 would fit your needs and a pre BE 204 220cdi a better long term bet than a newer BE car.

I agree with Steve, C220 CDI is one the best engines for estates and saloons.
I use mine on the motorway and I get really good fuel consumption.
Its got excellent handling, its just the right amount of power.

C-Class Estates has the right amount of room for shopping etc...
Depending on what spec you want on your car and what model you are looking for, you should be able to find a car in your budget :).

Is this basically the same engine as the one in the 202 C220 less one cylinder.

I've had my July 2008 S204 C220 since end of March and love it. Admittedly the original purchaser went overboard on the options list - Easypack, full leather, Comand, Telephone prewire, Ipod prewire, lumbar seats, heated seats - sure I've forgotten something! - but at 3 yrs 9 months old, under 60k miles, one owner, full MB service history - plus the 4 year service before delivery to me!! - for £15.5k, I'm happy.

Home to Northampton services yesterday - almost all motorway - about 140 miles average 60+ and 52mpg on the trip computer. Then to Buckingham and Aylesbury before home to Ashford, still showing just under 50mpg on the trip computer and less than 1/2 tank used (and driving home from Aylesbury, driving conditions were awful!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom