Another cheap dashcam test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
OK so this one is an SJ1000, not so much a dashcam as a cheap (£50) go pro alternative.

It comes complete with a 30m water resistant outer case, records in full HD 1900x1080P, has a 140 degree wide angle field of view, a little lcd screen so you can view live and playback and it comes with a load of different mounting options included.

Unlike the Go Pro, the SJ1000 will automatically start and stop recording with a power source so if you plug it into your cigar lighter or any other switched live it works perfectly as an automated dashcam - hence my interest in it.

A comprehensive review by Techmoan can be found in the following link so I won't duplicate his efforts. The best action camera under $100. The SJ1000 budget 1080p multi-purpose waterproof action cam. - YouTube

I created a clip with a couple of different scenarios to give you an idea on video quality.

How do I rate it? Whilst I think it is a great bit of kit for the price and possibly the best I've seen at this price point, the mounting options need fiddling with a bit to make them hold the camera steady on a bumpy road. Using the waterproof case mounting options it is fine but the other mounting brackets need to be more rigid. I'm sure I can sort the problem with just a bit of lateral thinking however.

Remember to switch to high definition and run it in full screen to get a feel for the output quality.

[YOUTUBE HD]OZqrAGXDcVo[/YOUTUBE HD]

Last edited:
Looks like great quality video for the money. But what's the real point of buying & fitting one?

This would serve multiple purposes, the main being as an accident recorder (should I ever be involved in one). At this price point it makes sense to just fit and forget in your car and let it do its thing.

It will also be used for a bit of fun... on holiday, in the sea, underwater, mounted to the bike ... my son is already looking forward to trying out the crash helmet mount.

Ah, I see. I wouldn't bother using it in the car but it seems to me to be a really a very nice bit of kit considering the price, even if I don't know anything about these. I must say I like that underwater feature too. An ideal fun present for someone.

Very impressive...Stoke Poges looks nice too.

Well spotted - do you know the area or did you read it on a sign?

As an aside, one issue with most dashcams is that they don't like the very high temps. you can get inside a parked car on a hot day (quite likely to kill the internal LiPo or cause other issues). So I'd be wary of leaving one there permanently, certainly in summer.

I've used micro video cameras on my r/c models for some years and many of those make good dashcams. IMO the best at the moment is the 'Mobius ActionCam', which is available via eBay: Mobius ActionCam Full HD Sports Camera 1080P 30FPS 720P 60FPS Pocket Camcorder items in eletoponline365 store on eBay!

I've had one since they first came out in June. There's no waterproof casing for yet but they do have a range of mounts, cables etc. The video quality is excellent and it's being actively developed ... new firmware available every few weeks. Specific dashcam features were included from the start.

The seller above is first class - I've used them for a few years now. Delivery to the UK (using the standard free postage) typically takes 6 days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wmIyD1fM4M

Last edited:
Very good quality.

And a gorgeous day to boot... :)

Very impressive...Stoke Poges looks nice too.
Spoiled my thunder there! I watched the vid before reading the responses, and I was going to identify Stoke Poges. I have clients there and visit several times a year.

But back on topic, that looks a good product, and in these compensation culture days, might be a good investment. I hate trailing wires, though, I'd need to find some way of hiding everything.

Spoiled my thunder there! I watched the vid before reading the responses, and I was going to identify Stoke Poges. I have clients there and visit several times a year.

I wonder if one of those clients is my workplace.

But back on topic, that looks a good product, and in these compensation culture days, might be a good investment. I hate trailing wires, though, I'd need to find some way of hiding everything.

I spotted that it was Stoke Poges too ;) Know the area well, my sister lives there too and my daughter goes swimming near where you were also!

very good :D

Good quality video on you cam, I've used a dash cam for the last 5years and it has paid for itself several times over...a couple of accidents and at least one speeding ticket (speeding in a school zone) I was able to prove the lights were not flashing at the time when I got pulled over... and for insurance purposes I was able to keep points off my driving record in one hit and run and in another uninsured motorist accident claim. The current cam I have is a cheap chinese cam Tachograph R520 works good but I'm looking for a good double cam w/motion activation for when the MB is parked.

http://www.dinobulk.com/jinghua-jwd...recording-does-not-leak-seconds-p8424770.html

Last edited:
Resurrecting an old thread... Spike - do you know if this does still images every xx seconds? My intention being to put together some stopmotion footage (London to Timbuktu type stuff)

M

From recollection of the menu system I don't think it has a time lapse setting unfortunately.

i am sort of interested in getting one of these but i would like it to be neat and tidy and i think i wouldn't have the patience to do a good job on doing that.

as an aside - christ have you youtubed "russian dash cams 2013"..........mindblowing to see how bad and dangerous some people can be on the roads

Resurrecting an old thread... Spike - do you know if this does still images every xx seconds? My intention being to put together some stopmotion footage (London to Timbuktu type stuff)

The Mobius I have does time lapse ... you can select: 0.25, 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, 60 secs

Mobius ActionCam Full HD Sports Camera 1080P 30FPS 720P 60FPS Pocket Camcorder items in eletoponline365 store on eBay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom