Another CLS 55 - Any input?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good Point on the MB service plan, mine had one for 12 yrs great car...

No I meant the one at £8.5k, it has split rim MB alloys.....but not sure on the mileage

Thanks Cyclone - no I haven't, because I can't access the ad or send PMs at the moment - don't suppose anyone would mind PM'ing the guy and asking him to update the ad/get in touch with me?

PS - Just realised we were in touch a while back through FCCUK about both Coupes and TVR Cerberas - Small world! CLS AMG clearly a natural progression...

Thanks Cyclone - no I haven't, because I can't access the ad or send PMs at the moment - don't suppose anyone would mind PM'ing the guy and asking him to update the ad/get in touch with me?

PS - Just realised we were in touch a while back through FCCUK about both Coupes and TVR Cerberas - Small world! CLS AMG clearly a natural progression...
Haha! I thought it was you.

All great cars and for me all have similar design traits, as well as being quick and importantly different..

Loved my Coupe 20VT, both of my Cerberas, both of my CLS55’s and now my CLS63........

I’ll message the guy with the car for sale..

Haha! I thought it was you.

All great cars and for me all have similar design traits, as well as being quick and importantly different..

I’ll message the guy with the car for sale..

Absolutely right on those design traits, and thank you, much appreciated.

The original car in this post was first registered in April so it is only just into the £500 area.

23/03/06 is the key date IIRC.

I am suspicious as f when it comes to most things involving significant Benjamins but I can understand firstly why the owner would have this car (it is the last so you can't exactly have much newer without spending lots more money), they are fantastic, and secondly why he might not want the hassle of selling.

My last car sold to a guy buying on behalf of his brother.

I would view it and decide based on condition, how it is running and the history etc.

Thanks, that's really useful. I should be able to get over and view it soon, and am hopeful it's a good one!

Looks like a decent car if it all checks out. Budget around 800 for paint as killerhertz says. Not many left now with that low mileage and full MB history. Probably take 10 for it so good price too. The parking sensor thing is a bit odd. I thought it was standard on 55s but maybe not

the parktronic sensors are not OEM, they were fitted after the car left the factory
Yeah, they look different to mine, mine are flush with the bumpers. Stock mounting positions though? Maybe it's been upgraded to a chinese system that doesn't throw faults every other time it rains... or is that just mine...
One point I've thought of - sunroof. Mine has one, and with it tilted the extra exhaust noise (X pipe and C63 back boxes) is most welcome, then with 'roof slid fully back open you can hear every cylinder :)

Had my bumper off, sensors removed and bumper painted in a proper bodyshop for £350-400. To sort that car as already said £800-ish is a good ballpark figure.
Good history, few owners, ace mileage, inspires more confidence than that other silver one to be honest. And it's one of the last. The high tax thing would hurt though. 18" tyres are cheaper than 19"!
Looks a decent one. But they all do I suppose, until you see them in person.
There was a silver/red leather one near me that sounded great in the ad, but had had new wings painted by Stevie Wonder. One new headlight, one original, looked like it was squinting. Was for sale for ages.
Black 14k one on AT in Warrington was private sale at 15-16k, now part ex'd into trade, specc'd by a footballer from new - very high spec, but it stood unused for years at one point. History patchy. Linglongs on the front as well from memory. Of the cars I did due dilligence on before I got mine tail end of last year, that's the only one still for sale.

It hasn't been pointed out here yet, but these things are bloody fantastic! The torque, the noise, the looks, the luxury. All things to all men. Unless they need 5 seats.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I only have 2 kids so only ever need 4 seats, and have wanted one for a long while! Hoping to be able to view this one very soon.

Apologies for going off topic but was amazed that Cazana reckoned mine was worth £15,258, early March 06, 45k and full MB history but they don't know that.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I only have 2 kids so only ever need 4 seats, and have wanted one for a long while! Hoping to be able to view this one very soon.

Exactly where I started, got it to satisfy an itch and have had her 5 years now :)

Hope you find a good one.

Yeah, they look different to mine, mine are flush with the bumpers. Stock mounting positions though? Maybe it's been upgraded to a chinese system that doesn't throw faults every other time it rains... or is that just mine...

Not just you, mine are exactly the same. Seems to only be when rain is hitting them rather than wet getting in though because literally as soon as it stops they start working again.

Seems to have a keyless go selector but non keyless go door handles?

To the OP, I would also strongly suggest speaking to the garage that done the last service on any intended purchase. They usually note any work that needs doing. At least this will put you in a better position of knowing what will need spending on it and maybe using it as a bargaining tool if the seller forgets to declare it.

Thanks guys for all your input, very much appreciated. About to call the garage now (main dealer in North London).

And viewing the car tonight....

Quick further question (sorry) - what's the cream/white "tab" behind the steering wheel (see photo 10 on the link) - seems to be one on each side of the wheel. Gear shift?

Interesting on the keyless go - I'll have to take a look at that.

Quick further question (sorry) - what's the cream/white "tab" behind the steering wheel (see photo 10 on the link) - seems to be one on each side of the wheel. Gear shift?

Yes, once you select manual mode via the small round button to the left of the gear selector, they allow manual selection of gears. Pity they're not paddles although this can be rectified e.g. these

Still, it does look a nice example even taking into account the caveats mentioned above.

The only thing I would change if I were considering buying would be to wrap the wood, but each to their own!

:)

Last edited:
Probably don't need to say this... but check everything. Every single button, switch, every one. Engines are bulletproof. Gearboxes are solid but a bit slow. Suspension is complex but stuff like balljoints, brakes etc are cheaper than you'd think. 'Charger kicks in at about 1500-2000 rpm.
Button in centre console raises air suspension - do this with engine running. You can feel the movement with your fingers between the tyre and arch - it's quite a subtle movement. Should only be a few seconds to raise. Only problem with doing this is you have now stirred what's under the bonnet. So unless you're wearing earplugs you're buying it :)
Good luck!

Spec from registration...

Interior EXCLUSIVE LEATHER - BLACK/ANTHRACITE (581A)
Paint 1 BRIGHT SILVER METALLIC CLEAR COAT PAINT (775U)
Release Date 2006-04-13
Delivery Date 2006-04-13

11N STEUERCODE WERK SINDELFINGEN/GRAZ
205B OWNERS MANUAL AND SERVICE RECORD - ENGLISH
221B SIGN COOLANT/REFUELING - ENGLISH
241 ELECTRICALLY ADJUSTABLE LEFT DRIVER SEAT W MEMORY
250B MOBILO LIFE/EUROPE SERVICE PACKAGE
275 MEMORY PACKAGE (DRIVER SEAT, STRG. COL., MIRROR)
283B AIRBAGLABLE - ENGLISH
386 UNIVERSAL TELEPHONY PACKAGE
390 LINGUATRONIC-ENGLICH(BRITISH)
401 FRONT SEAT CLIMATE CONTROL
404 MULTI-CONTOUR SEAT, FRONT LEFT
405 MULTI-CONTOUR SEAT, FRONT RIGHT
423 5-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
489 AIRMATIC DUAL CONTROL / AIR SUSPENSION SEMI-ACTIVE
500 OUTSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR LH AND RH FOLDING
527 COMAND DVD APS WITH NAVIGATION
537L GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND
551 ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM
573 CHILD SEAT MOUNTING, ISOFIX IN REAR
580A EXCLUSIVE LEATHER TRIM
581 AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL
581A EXCLUSIVE LEATHER - BLACK/ANTHRACITE
5XXL EUROPE
600 HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT
616 BI-XENON HEADLICHT W.ACTVIE CURVELIGHT LEFT-DRIVE
666 PRODUCT PROT.F.TRANSPORT VEH. W/O TIE-DOWN HOOKS
731 TRIM PIECES - WOOD BURRED WALNUT VENEER
772 AMG STYLING PACKAGE-FRONT SPOILER, SIDE SKIRT
775U BRIGHT SILVER METALLIC CLEAR COAT PAINT
786 AMG DOUBLE-SPOKE WHEELS 18" WITH MIXED TIRES
806 YEAR OF MODIFICATION
819 CD CHANGER
872 REAR SEAT BENCH HEATING LEFT UND RIGHT
875 HEATED SCREEN WASH SYSTEM
882 INTERIOR SAFEGUARD
885 HIGHTEN THEFT PROTECTION
983 COC PAPER EURO 4 TECHNOLOGY W/O REG. CERT. PART II
989 IDENTIFICATION LABEL UNDER WINDSHIELD
F219 MODEL SERIES 219
FC COUPE
GA AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
HA REAR AXLE
M001 ENGINES WITH SUPERCHARGER
M113 V8-GASOLINE ENGINE M113
M55 CAPACITY 5,5 LITRE
R RIGHT-HAND STEERING
U18 AUTOMATIC CHILD SEAT RECOGNITATION (AKSE)
VL FRONT AXLE HALF, LEFT
VR FRONT AXLE HALF, RIGHT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom