Another CLS 55 - Any input?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thank you benlucas and eight, all very good advice, particularly around the earplugs :)

Spec from registration...

Top man - thank you! So no parking sensors out of the factory, or keyless go by the look of it.

Do non-keyless go cars still have the starter button on the gearshift?

Top man - thank you! So no parking sensors out of the factory, or keyless go by the look of it.

My E55K didn't and that didn't have KLG.

Nope, I don't believe they do. Just a piece of metal with nothing written on it

Cheers V8, I'll check it out tonight.

Yes, once you select manual mode via the small round button to the left of the gear selector, they allow manual selection of gears. Pity they're not paddles although this can be rectified e.g. these

Still, it does look a nice example even taking into account the caveats mentioned above.

The only thing I would change if I were considering buying would be to wrap the wood, but each to their own!

:)
Agree, that wood looks awful , maybe its the photos.

Awful is a bit strong but agree piano black would be better. However, if that turns out to the be extent of the issues, I'll be happy!

Definitely aftermarket sensors; the OEM sensors button is next to the Airmatic switch just south of the gear-lever, this has a blank.

I think the gear-lever is maybe aftermarket or from the ‘63.

Only birds eye maple trim looks good in this era Mercedes in my opinion but I don’t think that bright wood would put me off too much, get it done in the body shop at the same time as the bumps and bruises.

Other than the scuffs and aftermarket sensors, looks like it could be a good buy; I’d personally budget minimum £1000-2000 to get it tip-top.

I think the gear-lever is maybe aftermarket or from the ‘63.

Looks the same as my non keyless one, leather front, alcantara back and non moving silvery button on top.

Looks the same as my non keyless one, leather front, alcantara back and non moving silvery button on top.
Yeah, more than likely, just the reflection on the top and me viewing it on a phone screen.

Thank you chaps - bright wood I can live with to be honest, particularly given the rear storage etc matches it. Already have a body shop in mind for the tidy up, just trying not to get ahead of myself...

Agreed, not a deal breaker. More important that the oily bits are OK!

Thank you chaps - bright wood I can live with to be honest, particularly given the rear storage etc matches it. Already have a body shop in mind for the tidy up, just trying not to get ahead of myself...

The previous owner to mine changed the front but not the back. It's something I can live with but will change at some point.
Two keys are handy as well as a spare isn't cheap.
If it has a spare wheel check it goes over the calipers. Some say they came with a spare, some say different - Oh and before anyone questions that, I read that on a USA website.

Thanks Nat much appreciated. On the way to see it right now.

I used to hate wood trim but I like it now as the years go by.

As already covered, you can always wrap it or get it sprayed.

My E55K had carbon fibre wrap on the wood trim which I really liked.

As said, it's better the car checks out... things like trim can be changed.

I have black ash in my current steed. At first I thought "Oh god, not wood". But when I saw it in the flesh, I thought it looked nice (and after 5 years of seeing carbon fibre effect every day, I got a bit bored of it!).

Now I love it and there are times when I see the wood section of the steering wheel reflect the sunlight and it looks great - really suits the car.

Stay away from it in my opinion. You could have bought my one before I sold it this week and it was in much better condition.

Do we have a winner?:)

I think so! Collecting it tomorrow afternoon, all being well :D Report to follow, been rather rushing around this weekend.

SukySangha, I think I spoke to you the day after yours sold. I'm hoping this is a good one too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom